• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

grenade nerfage aka more realistic grenade throwing

This is in no way limited to competitive gaming, have none of you ever played on a public server where there is an enemy 20m away from you and instead of shooting at you with his gun he pulls out a grenade?

As I see it, there are two ways to remedy this:
i.) Add freeaim to grenade throwing. Grenades are currently very very easy to throw with great accuracy (probably why they're the first choice weapon of the casual player, even when out in the open). If there's a small open window 30m away, a decent player (not supreme-leet-mega-ROplayer) will be able to land their grenade inside 9 times out of 10. How many people could actually do that in real life? Not many I bet.

ii.) Randomise fuse length by a small amount. Nobody in RO has a real fear of death, which is why you see people running around spraying bullets everywhere like rambo. Likewise, nobody has a fear of getting their hand blown off because they cooked their grenade too long since they know the fuse is exactly the same length every time. If there's even a slight randomisation it could have a profound effect on this.

I actually think both of these should be added to RO2 and I don't think for one second that citing realism as a reason for their non-inclusion is valid when suicide grenadiers zig-zagging across open ground spamming grenades is such a common sight.

Reactions: Zetsumei and Schreq
Upvote 0
Give each player their own supply of grenades per round. They choose when to use them from the class menu. Once they're used or dropped after death, that's it. This would make grenade usage a critical decision instead of mindlessly tossing them at choke points.

The 2 biggest problems in RO now is random grenades and grenades being used as primary weapons.

Its a similar idea you posted, but It'd feel like Micro-managment. If grenades and special weapons were handled like classes, then the grenades could be distributed all at once, so some people always start with a grenades or two, and some people don't. Just like some people start with the sniper/automatic weapon class and some people don't.

Add freeaim to grenade throwing. Grenades are currently very very easy to throw with great accuracy (probably why they're the first choice weapon of the casual player, even when out in the open). If there's a small open window 30m away, a decent player (not supreme-leet-mega-ROplayer) will be able to land their grenade inside 9 times out of 10. How many people could actually do that in real life? Not many I bet.
Pick up a good sized rock outside, find a window-sized target 30 meters away, and throw. If you can't get it in, you are probably physically impaired.

The job is not to nerf grenades, it's to make grenades less numerous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pamoer, I hope you aren't questioning german engineering :D

Maybe its best to just see how it turns out. If we are lucky twi made it so, that it takes much longer to get grenades out and ready to throw. If you look at it from that side, the german grenades aren't as lame as the F1. Simply due to the fact that it takes a) longer to get them out and b) longer to get the grenade "live" and ready to throw.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe each player could have a set number of grenades for the entire campaign, or when it's a different mode, they could have maybe 2 or 3 grenades for the entire game.

I really hate the infinite number of grenades and the way that when you're behind cover and an enemy spots you, they will usually just throw a grenade or two.

Upvote 0
My ideas to solve grenade spam problems

Limited grenade amount (1)
Cannot re-stock grenades from 'ammo' crates (if they are in the game)
Make it as much as possible that it takes skill to aim and place a grenade
Make it take a resonable amount of time to take a grenade out of your pouch so people cant instant throw
Only certain classes get grenades

Upvote 0
The job is not to nerf grenades, it's to make grenades less numerous.

Why is the job to make them less numerous?? Surely the job is to make them used in a more realistic manner! Adding freeaim and fuse randomisation should do just that. With less grenades, they'd still be used in exactly the same way they are now except on a slightly smaller scale there'd just be less of them and that's not a proper solution.

Pick up a good sized rock outside, find a window-sized target 30 meters away, and throw. If you can't get it in, you are probably physically impaired.

I think you may be guilty of gross exaggeration here, but I look forward to playing Red Orchestra: Heroes of Hypnotoad where we can throw our captured Geballte Ladungen all the way to the secret Nazi Moonbase. :cool:

Upvote 0
The horse is dead...but I'll pitch in my two cents. A variable fuse for grenades would be nice. Grenades should be a bit more unwieldy and random. Afterall these explosives were produced in massive quantities and the fuses were never guaranteed to last an exact amount of time. You were supposed to prime the grenade then throw it. Cooking was more of a field improvisation from experience than anything.

Upvote 0
Maybe each player could have a set number of grenades for the entire campaign, ...

I think that this is a really cool idea and would really add the the experience. Maybe a "resupply" option every x battles that could be voted on for immediate resupply or delayed a couple of battles (up to a limit or just added to the total). Or, might be too extreme, the supply for all ammo, grenades, etc is limited, each player getting an allotment of magazines until the next resupply, with the option to share. These could be either total magazine numbers or split up between different types of weapon, bolt/assault.

Upvote 0
I always thought that if a system was used similar to the DH spawn rooms, players could pick up their grenades from a resupply point in the room that spawned the grenades a set amount of time based on the map. This way players that didn't care could skip waiting for them and exit the room onto the map, while others could wait to grab them. At some point, players won't want to wait and will just rush out to battle. No players would spawn with grenades.

Upvote 0
Without going into specifics, I think I can get away with saying that grenades, while more realistically powerful, are much harder to effectively spam. In fact, if you don't use them the way they were meant to be used, you could be in for a nasty surprise.

a nasty surprise eg having to clear buildings like in red alert 3 one-peacekeeper-per-enemy-in-building? :eek:

Upvote 0
Give each player their own supply of grenades per round. They choose when to use them from the class menu. Once they're used or dropped after death, that's it. This would make grenade usage a critical decision instead of mindlessly tossing them at choke points.

The 2 biggest problems in RO now is random grenades and grenades being used as primary weapons.
This is a good idea too. Only problem is you'll see a bunch of grenades being tossed around at the beginning of the map and almost none at all towards the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A rock handles quite a bit different from a grenade. I have thrown both practice grenades and a live one, and believe me, it's hard. I have thrown them from prone, crouch and while standing, and especially from prone, it's very hard to throw the grenade far or accurately.

When you pick a rock, you hold it very much different, you can keep your hand wherever you want, but with a grenade you have to keep it in a certain hold.

And for the people who are for realism, but against having a little bit randomized fuze, FYI, most fuzes are a bit randomized in real life grenades. And when you take the pin out, the last thing you want to do is to keep it in your hand any longer than you have to (especially if your fingers have let go of the hammer, or whatever the part is named). Although the grenades I've been trained for had a ~3 second fuze, even if it had a longer one, I would never try to cook it.

Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0