• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Molotov Cocktail.

Homuth

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2010
The Netherlands
TWI, both sides used them, they are great AT weapons, awesome to use, fun to use against infantry as well ( semi-joking). Would also be very useful if those Molotovs would be spread througout the maps on random spots for everyone to use. In short the Molotov, if implemented well, would be a great addition to this game! In the Future of course...

Who wants it as well?

800px-Stalingrad022.jpg

800px-Stalingrad024.jpg

The above picture depicts another use of the Molotov, to block the sight of the driver.

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt.Cool
Original idea, but what concerns me is implementation. How would they model the damage, fire? Since the crew's can't bail, the usefullness of implementing this is in doubt. The means may be different, but the ends are the same; a destroyed tank. Therefore, how would the molotov differ from the AT grenades in this instance?

Further, since I've yet to see fires on damaged/crippled tanks, I believe TWI would have to then do extra work to hash in the effects of a molotov cocktail spreading to the engine deck, etc.

Again, could the crews bail, I'd be 100 percent behind this on the Kessel Stalingrad era maps, or the Winter '43 maps where the fighting got increasingly desperate on both sides. Presently and respectfully though, Herr Homuth, I must reject the idea as brilliant but impractical.

Regards,
Leyt. Rinaldi
51st Guards Rifles

Upvote 0
Sad Homuth.

Well it's a thing to keep in mind for Future updates with expanded and improved tank DM systems, but indeed it would require a whole new thing to model, fire as weapon, but then again a Flammenwerfer could come into mind which would use sort of the same mechanics.

Until that time I'll just keep hurling magnetic grenades till the immersion killer eats the inside of my skull.

Upvote 0
Interesting idea and I believe it should something the Russians have as a basic throwable AT weapon. How to implement it is the question....

I know in Darkest Hour you can hit a tank setting it on fire but not destroying it. After 5-10 seconds the tank does explode I'm assuming from the fire reaching the fuel tank or the ammunition. Perhaps something along the lines of the Molotov cocktail impacting against the side of the tank and after 15 seconds (random number) the tank explodes. Maybe limit the kill zone to just the engine deck area as I wouldn't think the cocktail exploding against the front armor or tank turret would cause a fatal explosion. At least if it exploded against the engine decking there would be a good chance it could ignite the tanks engine oil or fuel.

As for the flame effect, use the same code the DH modders used to simulate the tank on fire from the shell strike, just instead of the shell hit it would be the molotov cocktail impacting against the side of the tank. The smoke generated from the molotov cocktail is already ingame in the form of smoke grenades.

Am I making any sense or just rambling?

Upvote 0