• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game Philosophy

Crosshairs aren't part of the basic underlying mechanics of how the game FUNCTIONS.

The underlying mechanics of how a first person shooter is that you shoot stuff in first person perspective. Weapon functionality and handling if anything is the core of a first person shooter.

In the end the things of core importance that describe a game or make a game are different from person to person. Since realism always requires compromises, it will differ from person on what end compromises should be.

What game is more realistic than the other game at some point becomes a matter of opinion. As it will be weighting the compromises of one game against the compromises of the other game against each other.

The amount of additional detail that can be seen in RO over for instance ArmA is one of the key features why for me Its easier to identify with RO over ArmA.

RO focus in that sense more at the micro scale, and arma at the macro scale. Which brings a pretty big difference in game play. Whether realistic micro or macro scale is more important for realism (or fun) depends from person to person.
There is simply no absolute scale and ranking of importance for realism.

Even when designing a simulater you make design choices on what you want to simulate. And often the case of a simulator its more about making people learn and teach things like in utilizing tactics. While if you want to make things feel realistic and get immersed you will likely get a whole different setting of the simulator.

For instance controlling your body is easy and simple in real life, if something would be very realistic those things should be simple as well.

The reason why it is often made harder is that some aspects that you want to simulate are considered more important resulting in decreasing realistic property in trade for another. Its a trade-off and compromising field, in case of games it comes down to personal preference and importance of various realistic matters.

In gameplay style I've always thought of RO to be between COD and ArmA in a sense, perhaps leaning more to cod than arma. But that doesn't mean that in equal amounts the game is less realistic, it just focusses more on optimizing the player immersion over the tactical front like arma.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ohmizogod, that changelog is massive.

Is Tripwire going to hire these people already?

Amongst adding stupid random tanks like the Jagdtiger and the incredibly sexy Jagdpanzer (and adding the Jumbo to counter that stupid mod Jumbo tank), they did things like "change ballistic coefficient values to reflect their real world values" and altered penetration code for "individual slope effects" of anti tank rounds :eek:

These people are crazy. Time to redownload DH.

ANYWAY. Back to RO :p

Upvote 0
Seriously when will you finally stop saying this stuff? Arcade is something completely different. Your problem is that you view ArmA II as height of creation and then look down on anything else less realistic/not a military simulation and call it "arcade". Ridge Racer is arcade, HL2 gungame is arcade, HoS is a realistic FPS.

RO1, and it looks like RO2, will still be an action oriented game. It is still a BF style game, just with some more realistic features.

The objectives, scale of the maps, and lack of anything other than doing "meeting at certian points to kill bad guys" prevents the gameplay from being truly realistic. It doesn't make the game bad, but it is what it is.

Upvote 0
RO1, and it looks like RO2, will still be an action oriented game. It is still a BF style game, just with some more realistic features.

The objectives, scale of the maps, and lack of anything other than doing "meeting at certian points to kill bad guys" prevents the gameplay from being truly realistic. It doesn't make the game bad, but it is what it is.

Do what I'm gonna do. I'll load up in my military gear, and walk 15 miles, uphill, in the snow, to my computer to play HoS. It'll add that extra bit of realism.

Upvote 0
Do what I'm gonna do. I'll load up in my military gear, and walk 15 miles, uphill, in the snow, to my computer to play HoS. It'll add that extra bit of realism.

English translation: I am an ignorant fanboy who gets offended when someone states the obvious. :)

RO1 was an action oriented game with some realistic weapon mechanics and historical accuracy thrown in. The result was a wonderful game. The game design philosophy was similar to BF, and RO2 will be similar if the videos are any indication: Player VS Player online gameplay that is capture and spawn based. RO2 will introduce unlocks and ranking, just like BF and similar games, though hopefully not that indepth.

Upvote 0
attachment.php

Upvote 0
RO doesn't have much in common with PR, as what makes PR awesome despite it's technical shortcomings is it's public teamplay. Which doesn't really exist in RO. If you play RO you'll see everybody running to the objectives oblivious of each other, with "pros" taking up the front and decimating(hipshooting) their foes much to their rage. While noobs hang out in the back proning and pixel hunting. There's occasional random voice chat guys playing WW2 songs, shouting angrily in German or really trying to organize people, though I think many RO players will agree that what they have in common is annoyance. I guess typical RO player doesn't want to be told what to do.
This. RO: Ost is more of a fast paced game with realism elements than a teamwork oriented one. As such, it doesn't really compare to any of the listed games.

Upvote 0

When does war deviate from that model? Go here, kill bad guys/destroy arms facilities/airfields etc.

You have an objective and you fight over it.

The only really limiting factor in RO is that the objectives and conflict zone are decided for you, but then again that's sometimes the way you have to play things on the level of a conscripted grunt in 1940s era combat anyway.

I personally have always felt like the weight of a first person shooter has always been on....well, the shooting. The weapon handling, the ballistics, the tactical placement of assets. Sure, maneuvre is one thing, but I don't see how this makes RO equivalent to being Battlefield with a veneer of realistic ornaments strung about it.

RO just has a particular model of combat, that being the seizure of strategic objectives via a capture zone mechanic. And that model has always seemed to me just a means to make RO into a functioning game rather than a pointless weapon sim toy.

Upvote 0
haha. Just checking back on this thread, and... so many opinions.

Anyway, long story short, I got Red Orchestra on Steam. It's offering to install Mare Nostrum (a mod?) for me. Well, I guess the question is: which, in your opinion, has the closest game core values as Heroes of Stalingrad: vanilla RO, Darkest Hour, or Mare Nostrum? (or some other mod?)

Upvote 0
Well, I guess the question is: which, in your opinion, has the closest game core values as Heroes of Stalingrad: vanilla RO, Darkest Hour, or Mare Nostrum? (or some other mod?)

Definitely Ost is the most similar to HoS since it's basically the ground on which Hos is built. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't check the other two of course, Darkest Hour just some days ago got its final update and it's very nice with lots of new vehicles and various mechanisms that will surprise you (there are some annoyances though but that is up to you). And Mare Nostrum is another well made mod, really great job done there but unfortunately not many people play it. You might be lucky and stumble on a firenight which means a server might be with a sufficient number of players not to need bots, but that's not too often. Make sure the join the relevant steam groups nevertheless so you can get the updates when a firenight is coming.

Upvote 0

Anyway, long story short, I got Red Orchestra on Steam. It's offering to install Mare Nostrum (a mod?) for me. Well, I guess the question is: which, in your opinion, has the closest game core values as Heroes of Stalingrad: vanilla RO, Darkest Hour, or Mare Nostrum? (or some other mod?)

Red Orchestra is the closest in terms of design philosophy.

Darkest Hour is its own beast. Mare Nostrum is more similar than DH to Tripwire's design.

Upvote 0

Opinions are fine. It's when people get overly confrontational and agressive about their opinions that issues arise. Such as is happening here. To use an old chestnut "that's the problem with opinions, everybody has one". You prefer one game to another? Great! Just don't expect everyone else to think the same.

That is all:eek:

Upvote 0

As already said, the vanilla ROOST is the closest but you should definitely check at least Darkest Hour out, its different but its so awesome.
Many people like it a lot more than ROOST itself, its really great.

Upvote 0
You prefer one game to another? Great! Just don't expect everyone else to think the same.

That is all:eek:
Wait, until Drakon2k came in and left his typical inflammatory post without any substance everything went fine (and my posts actually were rated very positive up to that point;)). After that the ****storm broke loose and everybody stopped seeing my comments in a logical way and just went by what Drakon wrote.

Nowhere did I talk about which game I prefer or that ArmA is better. Heck, I stated that RO is the better game in a pvp environment multiple times, yet people still reacted as if I broke their toy and attacked "their" game. One thing I find rather interesting is that people LOVE RO because it isn't ultra realistic and offers a very nice balance of classic gameplay systems and realism (which is also the reason why I love RO :)). Yet when I flipped the coin and said that RO is in some ways also restricting itself by it's basic gameplay systems people think I'm attacking the game, while I'm actually simply looking at one of the things people love so much about RO from a different angle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Speaking of Red Orchestra and philosophy: After playing ROOST for years I find it a good place to philosophize about the value of life and other things. Like sitting in the driving seat in Leningrad, listening to some relaxing music, angeling your tank when needed while your crew shoots hundreds of soldiers and tanks, and you get points for it! For doing nothing but angeling and listening to music you get points for other people's kills. Or hiding in a crater, seeing a guy on the other side of the street hiding, seeing you and running to you but then a shell explodes behind him and he turns into a bloody pulp.

Upvote 0
Lemon, what's your secret to going from "really nice" to "distinguished road" in under 24 hours?;)

Anyway, kudos for getting RO. Even for a game that is over 5 years old and far past its prime in terms of server population, RO is still a ton of fun. Like everyone else has already said, if you really want to get as close as you can to HoS, play ROOST. And even that is a stretch, with only similar settings and weapons linking the two games. HoS is really gonna be in a different dimension compared to ROOST.

Darkest Hour, Mare Nostrum, and Carpathian Crosses are all good fun too, just don't expect the latter two to be very populated.

Upvote 0