• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Countdown - Close but so far away

While I agree that for the sake of realism the defenders would be given time to set up, gameplay wise it's a bad idea.

Take the Fallen map for example. The defenders are set up in a building with 40 yards (Meters) of open space for the attackers to cross. If the Defenders had time to set up, they would simply annihilate the opposition before they closed on them.

There's a reason why common military knowledge dictates 3 attackers per every 1 defender at the VERY least to assault a position. And while with reinforcement waves this is evened out a little, it is far from enough. The way it is now really gives each side just enough time.

I understand your reasoning for such a feature, but I don't think it would work for the attackers. Already the attacking team on Fallen hardly ever gets passed the first objective.

I wouldn;t mind this. They would have to make the attackers have more reinforcements, but that's okay with me.

Would make the whole mode feel more like an actual assault and defend rather than a slightly altered annihilation type game.

Upvote 0
I wouldn;t mind this. They would have to make the attackers have more reinforcements, but that's okay with me.

Would make the whole mode feel more like an actual assault and defend rather than a slightly altered annihilation type game.

Right. At the moment it just feels like counterstrike, where everyone is racing to get to a good position before they get picked off by the other side. If the defense had a few moments to dig in before the attack, it would slow down the action quite a bit and feel (at least, in my opinion) a lot more like an attack/defense situation.

Upvote 0
I would like see the defenders have more time to set up but a lot less people to defend. In a 64 player match, the defenders might only get 22 and attackers 42.

That's the idea behind multiple attacker respawn waves.

It starts out 32v32, but depending on the timing of the respawn waves it (should) end up being something like 32v64 or 32v128, all told.

Upvote 0
Maybe extend that GUI indicator to people outside of the capzone, that way people who are outside of it know that the situation is dire "get to the capzone"?

Great idea! If it only showed up when you pressed 'T', that would be even better. With a verbal warning when it has been captured half way would be great too.

I actually quite like how it is now, it's like 2 sides storming each other, and the attacking side has the dis-advantage anyway.

Upvote 0
Right. At the moment it just feels like counterstrike, where everyone is racing to get to a good position before they get picked off by the other side. If the defense had a few moments to dig in before the attack, it would slow down the action quite a bit and feel (at least, in my opinion) a lot more like an attack/defense situation.

I played a couple of rounds just now and this is exactly what I thought; I'm playing CounterStrike in WWII uniforms.

I imagine people will play this game mode in order to quickly level up their weapon ranks when the full game is out. Once you know the map, you are guaranteed a few kills seconds after spawning.

Upvote 0
It definitely needs some fine tuning.

- Defense should have some sort of head start, right now they get into position literally a second before the attackers are on them. Hell on FallenFighters as an attacker you can set up an MG, spray through the front doors and net kills if you're quick. It feels really gamey in this aspect.

- Coupled with the first point the attackers need more spawn waves.

- The spawning is HORRIBLE, it just breaks the play up too much. It doesn't feel like a battle instead it feels like a disconnected set of skirmishes. Maybe when an objective falls the dead defenders can respawn whilst the still alive ones have to retreat. The alive attackers will be stopped by a spawn zone barrier for a time while the dead attackers respawn and then they go. It's not ideal but right now the spawning is just jarring!

Upvote 0
The spawning is HORRIBLE, it just breaks the play up too much. It doesn't feel like a battle instead it feels like a disconnected set of skirmishes. Maybe when an objective falls the dead defenders can respawn whilst the still alive ones have to retreat. The alive attackers will be stopped by a spawn zone barrier for a time while the dead attackers respawn and then they go. It's not ideal but right now the spawning is just jarring!

For the record, I agree with everything you said, but I think they chose their way of respawning because they ran out of time, and this way is easier. It's very janky and "moddy" to me. TWI: You aren't modders anymore!

Upvote 0
The spawning is HORRIBLE, it just breaks the play up too much. It doesn't feel like a battle instead it feels like a disconnected set of skirmishes. Maybe when an objective falls the dead defenders can respawn whilst the still alive ones have to retreat. The alive attackers will be stopped by a spawn zone barrier for a time while the dead attackers respawn and then they go. It's not ideal but right now the spawning is just jarring!

Respawning for defense is almost necceary, otherwise you could have up to 1/3 of their team stuck up at the last objective. While interesting, I think it kind of defeats the point of the map. However, I think that the attacking team's survivors should remain, to allow that "flow of battle" that you're looking for. Furthermore, the defenders could respawn instantly, while the dead attackers have to wait maybe 15 seconds or so, giving the defenders somewhat of a head start.

So a game would look like this:

0:00 = Defenders spawn
0:15 = Attackers spawn
[Point Captured]
Cap+0:00 = All defenders respawn, surviving attackers remain
Cap+0:15 = Dead attackers from first cap respawn.

Something like that, if it's feasible. So the attackers have to wait for the rest of their team to catch up, rather than just rolling into the next zone.

Upvote 0

[Point Captured]

Something like that, if it's feasible. So the attackers have to wait for the rest of their team to catch up, rather than just rolling into the next zone.

^I really like this idea.

I really dislike CD as it plays now. I assume the goal is to have both teams utilize solid tactics and teamwork. As it stands there is no time for either team to use solid tactics or teamwork in the vast majority of rounds I have played. All you really get is people with the most map knowledge slaughtering everyone else before they get a chance to get their bearings or implement any kind of tactics or teamwork.

Upvote 0
Respawning for defense is almost necceary, otherwise you could have up to 1/3 of their team stuck up at the last objective. While interesting, I think it kind of defeats the point of the map. However, I think that the attacking team's survivors should remain, to allow that "flow of battle" that you're looking for. Furthermore, the defenders could respawn instantly, while the dead attackers have to wait maybe 15 seconds or so, giving the defenders somewhat of a head start.

[Point Captured]

I like this idea, it's considerably more fleshed out than my on the spot rant :D

Upvote 0