• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

not happy jane

wiki81

Sep 23, 2011
hey,

i just went and purchased a copy of red orchestra 2, and i am not happy that it installs from steam.

whats the point of buying a game only to have it be downloaded from the steam server, using up all my data on my plan... bunch of nazi's squeezing every last penny out of you.

lets just say this camper will not purchase another game from this publisher.

wiki.

p.s. your a bunch of money hungry idiots

He has a valid point. He's not complaining about Steam, he's complaining about how he bought a disc and Steam still downloads the game regardless.

How did you expect it to get onto your computer? The power of ESP?

Uh...the disc he bought?

I've had this happen with my Steam backups. I have a 1.5 Mbps connection, so it's really slow. So, when I went to reformat my computer, I backed up all my Steam games through the Steam backup tool. Well, it doesn't install them from the backup, it just redownloads them.

Upvote 0
Because some people still shop retail for their games and publisher's put some boxes on the shelves so the game has a physical presence people can see.

It's pretty silly to me too, but then again I haven't bought a game in a retail store in years. And I had....I'd know what the Steam logo ultimately means. Further reading for "Steam connection required to play" would tell you all you need to know.

thats it, i am not complaining about steam, have been using for awhile now, i just dont like the idea of downloading a game when you have brought it from the store.... you think that it would be a straight forward installation and then register to steam then play online, not install through steam
Many Steam partners figure it's cheaper, quicker and easier not to sell the game on a physical copy. Because you'll still need Steam to install it, update it and play it...so what's the point of putting several gigs of outdated data on a disk?

Especially considering the...*ahem* condition of many games the day they went gold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you guys are looking at this from a "tolerable" stand-point. The fact is if you buy something you should be able to install that content directly onto your computer...not have to download another piece of software in order to play it. I don't think it's a very fair or reasonable expectation. If you buy this disc, you should be able to install it and play it...period..that's what you bought the disc for, that's common sense people and rational thinking.

And this is regardless of whether steam is good or bad, i think steam is a great utility for the most part. But that's because I've always had a reliable internet connection as well. Does he have a point though? yes he does, is it valid? yes it is, if you don't see that then that's a lower expectation that I would say is reasonable.

Reactions: Goten
Upvote 0
whats wrong with steam?

you should be angry about how nothing in the game works, not steam

I know some gamers who still can't get high speed internet where they live, (or have to pay for usage) so they would just be happy to be able to install from the disk and play single player .. or maybe on a LAN.

I agree with your second comment!!
TW needs to get their act together and fix this game before it's too late!

Upvote 0
on the caase of the game i brought it has no steam icon on it, they should put a label on it saying, "content to be downloaded from steam server" or some **** like that
If that's true then it's a huge **** up on TWI's part. I can appreciate if the game doesn't have a Steam icon on it, you have every right to be confused and a little pissed.

I'd be surprised if there's really not one there though. That's been standard practice for a while now.

Upvote 0