• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design New Map Ideas - Post your ideas and concepts here!

The_Partisan

Apr 13, 2006
First of all, I think we should work on improving existing maps.

- Krasny Oktyabr -

I was reading a long article on Stalingrad yesterday (of which I cant remember the link, I think it was in militaryhistoryonline.com or something. It mentioned the battle in Krasny Oktaybr and made it very clear that it was an extremely ghastly and horror movie=esque type of battle. Dark, and the soldiers remembered the constant sound of the wind slamming shutters and windows shut and howling. Scary place.

First of all it should be made a moonless night. That'll make it much darker, second of all, add shadows in more places, bigger shadows I geuss. And eliminate as much of the light sources as possible. That should do the trick.

Now as for making gameplay better, I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm sure one of you are. I just wanted a more realistic, "scarier" experience and I think other people will appreciate it too.

- Pavlov's House -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlov's_House

Might have to adjust some historical points to make it playable. Could be fun if done right, and definately should be added for historical value.

So post your ideas on improving current maps and new maps you'd like to see! If possible maybe we could get a team together and release a map pack for em'.

The_Partisan said:
- Pavlov's House -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlov's_House

Might have to adjust some historical points to make it playable. Could be fun if done right, and definately should be added for historical value.

Waxx already made an RO-Pavlov map for the RO mod and is intending to remake it (not port it) for RO:O. The original was an INSANE map, with tons of close quarters action. :)

I've got a ton of map ideas on the books, but am pretty much holding short for the editor to be released publically.

RO-Mga: The Russians are defending the last railroad line into Leningrad. Once that line is captured, it is officially the start of the siege. This map was 90% done in the mod and was tested in the BFE tournament, but needs to be run through the RO:O porting process.

RO-Partisan: A map Monk and I were working on for the mod. It's an urban combat map with Russian partisans engaging German light armor in a small town in the outskirts of Kiev. I'd estimate this one at around 40% completion - we had a lot of work left on the second area of city to be explored. Most of the buildings were enterable, which made it very interesting and intense.

RO-"Swamp": A map based on an idea from Masasa, where one team needs to get tanks from one end of the map to the other. There will be multiple paths and likely heavy fog to build a uncertainty and a "fear factor". I've already started texture work for the swamp water.

RO-Nutlet: This is my "big idea", my *baby*. Oreshek ("The Nutlet") was an island prison/fortress located where the Neva river meets Lake Ladoga (near Leningrad). During the siege, a contingent of Soviet troops held the island for the duration of the siege. They were under constant bombardment, but were never actually invaded.

My scenario would be a "what if" the Germans launched an amphibious invasion to sieze the fortress. It would be an honest-to-god castle siege in RO :).

I've been doing a ton of research for it, and have even started some BSP for the fortress walls.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty much in the same boat as WickedPenguin, I have one map (Wisla River) that was completed just as Ostfront was announced and I plan to port it over and give it a major overhaul when the editor comes out. I also have 3 other maps lined up and I am currently working on static meshes for them and doing extensive research. Here's a quick run through of what I plan to do:

RO-LeningradStreets: This is a fictional battle that takes place down the Nevsky Prospekt in Leningrad during the winter of 1941. Combined arms map with large open streets and close combat in the side buildings with a few tanks for each side. I started to work on this map for the mod but put it on hold when Ostfront was announced.

RO-Ardon: August 30, 1942, Caucasus Region, near Ardon. On the 29th train No717 of the Russian 36th Armoured Train Battalion has been attacked by German aircraft and armor. Although it has stopped the attackers the train is immobilized and heavily damaged. The next day train No731 is brought in to defend No717 and help repair the tracks when they are attacked again by the 13th Panzer Divison and aircraft. Both trains were lost but the German attack was stalled for 24 hours with heavy losses. The map will be strictly tanks only with a fictional Russian tank group sent in to defend the immobilized train.

RO-Tallinn Harbour: The Baltic Fleet is pulling out of Tallinn as the Germans enter the city. Russian infantry will have to hold off German assaults under heavy air and artillery bombardment until the Baltic Fleet is ready to pull out to Kronshtadt.

There's so many good map ideas floating about and I'm sure we'll see a ton of good custom maps coming out shortly after the editor is publically released. Also, I'm sure the existing maps will be edited with bug fixes and changes as the game progresses in development. :cool:

Upvote 0
I guess here's the ideas I'm working on.. (casually).. to suppliment the ideas already out there:

RO-VolkhovRiver
(this was a mod map I intend to remake for Ostfront at some point..)
"In late October 1941, it's starting to get cold, and the infamous unpaved Russian roads are still mostly composed of mud, the Volkhov river is still a month away from freezing.
The 250th Infantry Division.. Spanish volunteers, memories still fresh from the Spanish Civil War. They earned the nick-name 'Division Azul' due to the blue shirts worn as part of thier uniform.
The plan was to cut off Leningrad once and for all by united with Finnish forces east of Lake Ladoga.
Operations begin around the 20th of October.. Division Azul, with the German 18th and 126th Divisions, are to cross the Volkhov River north of Novgorod, and start sealing Leningrad's fate.
As part of this operation, Division Azul's 2nd Battalion, 269 Regiment, moved to secure three villages along the east river bank: Smeisko, Russa, and Sitno.
On the east side of the river waits parts of the Soviet 52nd Army Group...
"

RO-KrasnyiBor (or something...)
(planned and semi-worked on map.. still alot to go.. so if someone is interested in picking up this idea, gimmie a holler)
Basically a 2nd map featuring Division Azul, following the Battle of Kransyi Bor, probably just the Paper mill (in the interested of more correctly scaled RO Maps)

.. I have another one that I'm pondering working on and have some layout done.. but I'm not at the point where I want to release any details on it. ;P

Upvote 0
RO-ERNA'41
I guess,that this would be popular map,because nowadays many teams from all wourld (like GB,Denmark,China etc)partake in Erna contest.I think,that this would be perfect infantry map,because contain close combat fighting and so on ..
http://erna.ee/en/?Erna_History/Birth_of_the_ERNA-organization

RO-Narva'44
Why i talk about this region?Because is a little game,which has this combats perpetuate.Maybe this one http://battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/narwa_1944.htm
About this battles you can read here..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Narva_-_Battle_for_the_Narva_Bridgehead_(1944)
and some pictures..
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/tsn/narva.jpg
http://www.ubc.net/members/estonia/pictures/narva.jpg
http://www.galerii.ee/panoraam/photos/Narva/Narva_juga2.jpg
http://mapx.map.vgd.gov.lv/geo3/Ukr/_Izmantotie%20Atteli/Igaunija/Bildes/Narva_v.jpg
http://www.narvaplan.ee/vananarva/N40%20ohust.jpg
http://www.narvaplan.ee/vananarva/N40Kreenh.jpg
Like you see,that place have interesting relief,river flow through city like in fleet canyon and has two waterfall(around one isle).And like you understood,almost whole city was destroyed.
Some pictures is here.. http://users.tkk.fi/~andres/m44/m44ph_th.htm

Some map in swamp with trenches,sod huts and a little combatants,whom attacks huge tommy-gunners gang(with dogs barking) would be also interesting.

And about snipers...2 v. 3 snipers city map would be awesome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now don't get me wrong here, I love the realism and the maps based on old battles, but I love doing fictional maps.

RO-ПляжТигра (Beach of the Tigris)
The Russians start off in some bunkers high up in some cliffs. The way to get down is tedious and difficult, easy to fall off. Once the Russians get to the bottom of the cliff the whole map will come into view. The yawning sands of Пляж Тигра and the Залив тигра (Gulf of the Tiger) lay on the left for countless miles. If the troops get too far into the water they will drown. Along the shore would be remnants of boats, intense battle could be had if the Russians held one of the ships and the Germans tried to assault the desecrated vessel. On the right, opposite the Залив тигра would be a medium sized seaside village. There would be a church objective there (every WWII FPS has a Church objective somewhere...)

The Germans who would be the attackers would start off at the end of the beach. There would be half-tracks there. Although this may seem as an advantage, the beach is filled with hedgehogs, barbed wire and pot holes. After they travel along the shore for a little bit the would come to a much larger destroyed ship. This would be their first objective and their spawn point until they captured the underground bunkers directly south - off of the shore - of the seaside village the Russians would have available to them.

So yeah. I might try to do that. Maybe with a team of mappers or something.

Upvote 0
On swamp ideas...

...here is a quick recap of an idea that I had for the mod, for which I did a long description, but I ain't doing that again. Use your imagination.

Basically, the setup is this: Russians attack a new German radio station set alongside a river in a swamp. The Russians must cap the radio station and the power substation nearby, which powers the radio tower. There is a road + traintrack switch at the center of the map. I was toying with the idea that at the traintrack switch is a water tower, which can be blown up and fall over to destroy the smaller traintrack-only bridge. Maybe it's just a sniper nest--having sappers on the map would only make sense if the russians blow up the power station and radio station, but why destroy them if they can capture them? And why blow up a bridge if it's an attack pathway, unless the germans can blow it up with a captured satchel?

Terrain is raised berms that crisscross the swamp (brown lines), two bridges (one a road + traintrack bridge), and some paved roads (gray lines). The berms are bordered by very high grass, which cuts down visibility and allows for ambushes. Between the berms is swampy water and plants that have a few really deep holes that will drown you. There are a couple of shallow crossings in the river at the edges, and trees sprinkled about.

The idea is that the russians can sneak up to about the river via many paths, then can swarm locations from many sides. Germans can counterattack into rear areas likewise. The roads & traintracks are the few long-ish straight sightlines on the map.

I think the russians should get a truck, but otherwise a generic platoon loadout. Germans get a generic platoon loadout. Only officers get smgs--it's a bolt n' bayo fest! Germans spawn upper left, russians lower right.

In fall or winter:
weeeobjectivesmarked8nt.jpg

In spring or summer
weeeobjectivesmarkedingreen2if.jpg

Deepness of de swamp water affecting movement:
deepness6ka.jpg

Upvote 0
I would like to see map that depicts a battle for a small town. The attackers have to cross a snowy meadow with little cover first before trying to cap the first objective, a farmhouse with a bombed-out roof. Riflemen hide in this farmhouse. Flanking is possible through ditches. Once the attackers cap the farm, they get a forward spawn.

Then, the battle for the town itself commenses and shifts towards a more urban combat "Oddesa-esque" gameplay. Both sides get only one tank (doesn't respawn) so they have to use it very carefully.

In the town are multiple objectives, say 4 or 5 or so. They are spread out so the defender will never know which objectives is being attacked first. One of them is a church with a high bell tower, which is the perfect place to set up a sniper in. Fog is only moderately used (or lots of fog might be better). Snow is falling, the weather is extremely cold and combat ranges from long-range rifle combat to brutal CQB. Both sides also receive three strikes of artilery (which takes some time to come falling down). You can enter most if not all of the buildings and there's lots of rubble to hide in.

Now that would be a fantastic map!

EDIT: picture the battle for Foy in the Band of Brothers episode "The Breaking Point", but with a more "meadowy" rather than a "foresty" area.

EDIT: add a couple bombers flying overhead as well (kinda like in Mga)... and artillery flashes in the distance!:eek:

All in all I love atmospheric maps...:eek:

EDIT3: The map should be accurately modelled after an actual real life battle. Okay that's all really. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not feeling really creative right now, but how bout a good "capture the supply cache" map, but inside a skyscraper-type building. (All of the fighting is inside the building, and only the spawn for one side is outside. (Covered to prevent sniper fire on the spawn(exit.)

To add a twist, how about at the resupply areas, or maybe just the main supply cache objective, that instead of unlimited panzerfausts, there are pistols or SMGs or something like that. They could also be enemy type weapons, to add to the background.

BACKGROUND:

(Blankety blank captured this weapons cache from the so-and-sos immensely crushing their power. The so-and-sos must take the cache back, but they are at a disadvantaged seeing as they are undersupplied going against an oversupplied enemy that also controls most of the building.) That may be a little too modern-urban type combat, but it would "mix it up" a bit.

I'm no mapper, so feel free to use my idea or modify it however.

Just this one little thing: if you use this idea, please mention it was thunk-up by Capt.Marion?

Diagram:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the whole late 1942 and early 1943 period is under represented as it stands now. In early 1943, Manstein launched the famous counter attack including the 1st (and last time) the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd SS Panzer Divisions were used together (as the II SS Panzer Corps).

Not only was manstein's campaign a stunning victory (ultimately recapturing Kharkov), but the ingredients for great maps and battles are all there. Alot of mobile, fluid, armoed warfare. It could be a series of maps for the Tiger to shine in/on. Also, there was alot of urban fighting for Kharkov itself (for the ground-slug lovers out there).

This is a ripe area for some nice maps.

Upvote 0
Even though I don't have an exact idea for a map, I can tell you that I think clans would love maps that, not only allow armor, but unlimited infantry and every other class allowable.

Maps like Ogledow allow alot of tactical troop movement and flanking maneuvers but because of the infantry class limitations you can only pull off minimal infantry support.

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
I would like to see map that depicts a battle for a small town. The attackers have to cross a snowy meadow with little cover first before trying to cap the first objective, a farmhouse with a bombed-out roof. Riflemen hide in this farmhouse. Flanking is possible through ditches. Once the attackers cap the farm, they get a forward spawn.

I have a design in my head for this. It will however be my first map, and I think I want to use more trees than the U engine will like. We'll find out though :)

Think of it as a large rectangle. The town is more offset to the upper right corner, where the germans spawn (not quite in town, but close and in some cover). The russians spawn in a clearing in a patch of woods in the lower-left corner. the woods run up the left side and somewhat along the 'north' of the rectangle, coming nearest to the town there. They roll around soft of tear-drop shaped so that there is lots of cover and a large wooded patch from the bottom left to about a third of the way across. A road runs in front of the town and cuts the woody sections in two. The town is small, more like a rural village or hamlet than proper town. I might even go with it being a large farm instead, not sure yet.

The map plays out as CQB and bullet madness. The theme behind the russians is they're an automatics 'squad' that has been ordered to catch the recently arrived Germans by suprise, and take the farm back. One commander, a few automatcheviks (sp?) and STVs. No MG, sniper, or strelok. Lower than typical reinforcements for russians due to their atypical firepower. The Germans I want to fit with either a standard-ish loadout for a german platoon, or if that's lacking in firepower a selection of one or two MGs, a commander, a handful of MP40s, and the rest riflemen. No antitank or sniper. Around standard reinforcements for the germans, I envision about what they get on Kessel's worth, maybe a tad more.

The gameplay has the germans in control of two cap points, both in the north-east quadrant of the map, one called something like 'main base' and another something like 'forward base' (for now). The main base is nearer the german spawn, while the forward base is nearer the road. I see the forward base being something with lots of low cover, with a decent field of fire and concielment for the germans. if the russians just try to rush, some will get through but they'll take heavy cassualties. This is to be the 'hard part' of the map.

Back to the main base (sorry, I digressed, it's late!) is either a large building or a series of buildings with one larger one containing the cap zone. The russians will have a slight upper hand here, depending on how many casualties they took securing the forward position, due to their armnament make up (and thus why that group was given that mission).

In the end, I want it to be a fun firefight map. Intense CQB if the russians can get it together enough to act as a unit and secure the forward base. Flanking through cover (the trees) and using diversionary attacks will be the plan of the day, with the germans having an emphasis on fire control and watching their rear/flank. Ideally, the map will be open enough that while the MGs and Schutze can have a field day picking off russians, if they get too overly confident they could find Papa Sha giving them a swift kick in the spleen.

The weapon loadouts might be a problem to the history freaks out there, but if the gameplay comes out as fun as it is in my head I would hope they'll be ok with it ;)

Upvote 0