• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Worst World War II (Themed) Movie Ever....

Bluehawk said:
Tora Tora Tora is vastly superior, the special effects are actually very well done, so good infact I was suprised, The acting is good enough (The Japanese actors seem really lifelike but since I don't speak Japanese they may be just as campy as their American counterparts) and the film portrays the Japanese in an intelligent and respectful light.
The film was a joint venture. The Japanese directed and filmed their portions, and the Americans did theirs, resulting in as fair and balanced a viewpoint as you can get. Much respect.

Upvote 0
Got to love people like Rommel34. Calling a movie a load of American propaganda and making up all sorts of lies so he can sleep at night. As far as I can tell he knows nothing about what he is talking about. Just because a movie is bad does not mean it is some sort of propaganda.

Anyway I can't decide on the worst WWII movie I have seen however I recently saws some Korean war movie about two South Korean brothers that was just horrible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Recon said:
Got to love people like Rommel34. Calling a movie a load of American propaganda and making up all sorts of lies so he can sleep at night. As far as I can tell he knows nothing about what he is talking about. Just because a movie is bad does not mean it is some sort of propaganda.

Anyway I can't decide on the worst WWII movie I have seen however I recently saws some Korean war movie about two South Korean brothers that was just horrible.
I think that movie is called "38 parallel" and from what i've heard it's quite qood, actually. Can you explain a little bit, why do you think it's that bad?

Upvote 0
|KHSG|_Roamer said:
By the way, when the German kills Melish in SPR with the bayonet he is not talking fiendishly to him. He is whispering to him to be quiet and to go to sleep, much like you would to a child you wanted to put to bed.
That's pretty fiendish to me. In the hopefully unlikely case that I get stabbed to death I'd rather have the guy shut the **** up.

Upvote 0
Recon said:
If it's Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War (2004)? Then it's a GREAT :eek: movie ! Why didn't you like it ? Although it's a bit melodramic :p, but with its horrific battle scenes and amazing special effects, for me it is one of the most realistic depictions of battlefield chaos :cool:!

Upvote 0
Tae Guk Gi was good, but no Oscar I thought. Yes, it was a bit melodromatic, but the action scenes tended to always boil down to hand-to-hand fighting. Was that accurate, or just done cause it's probably cheaper to film, lol.

The Corsair scene was a bit stupid I thought.

Otherwise 7 or 8 out of 10, easily. Decent flick.

Upvote 0
Sclass12 said:
Here is the soldier who kills Mellish and the guy with the red beard in the cafe

As you can see, not the same actor.

One small detail: He only kills Mellish. The other guy gets shot through the hole in the wall by another soldier. You can see him stop and fire his k98 at him, hitting him in the neck. Whether the SS soldier who kills Mellish 'finishes him off' I don't know, but he seemed to be completely incapacitated by his wound.

There are a couple parts of SPR that annoy me. The whole situation with Jackson's Springfield (firing way too many rounds) is pretty bad, but it's just bad editing I'm sure. I also don't like the way that the Germans at the end of the movie just charge blindly in some instances, preferring to be gunned down over stopping and firing at the Americans in the open 10 yards away. It is dramatic though, and I'm sure that's what spielberg was going for.

Upvote 0
I just love the nitpickers who claim that SPR was a piece of crap. That movie was brilliant from start to finish. Claiming that a movie is garbage because one side uses poor tactics or the wrong wheels were on a certain piece of equipment is ludicrous.

That movie was probably one of the best war movies ever made and it was certainly one of the most realistic. No there were no British soldiers in it and the Germans were largely just faceless props in the scheme of the movie but that was because the movie was about Americans and their particular experience on D-Day and the days afterward. Yes it was fiction painted against the historical backdrop of some of the most courageous and equally horrific events of WW2(that is not to say that they were the only courageous or horrific events of WW2).

Related historical tidbit. There was a soldier named Nyland who's brothers were all killed within weeks of each other and he was removed from the war zone, just not in the way depicted in the MOVIE.

Btw Krazy Kraut, if you are being stabbed to death that hardly gives you a position to say whether the stabber should STFU. Also, if what he said to Melish is fiendish to you then all I can think to say is: I'm sorry that your parents never coddled you as you went to bed.

Upvote 0
Tae Guk GI was the film I saw. It was an interesting idea and while some seens were powerful others just seemed impossible.

Like how the starving ROK soldiers suddenly become a special forces quality unit attacking the enemy at night and slitting throats like some sort of Navy SEALs. Then they proceeding to charge an enemy trench jump insade and get in an endless melee. Don't the North Koreans know how to use the PPSH at close range? You don't drop it and start punching the guy!

The scene switches were not very well timed but that may just be how the Koreans like their films.

Upvote 0
|KHSG|_Roamer said:
Btw Krazy Kraut, if you are being stabbed to death that hardly gives you a position to say whether the stabber should STFU. Also, if what he said to Melish is fiendish to you then all I can think to say is: I'm sorry that your parents never coddled you as you went to bed.
That's okay. I bet your parents still cuddle you when you go to bed.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
|KHSG|_Roamer said:
I just love the nitpickers who claim that SPR was a piece of crap. That movie was brilliant from start to finish. Claiming that a movie is garbage because one side uses poor tactics or the wrong wheels were on a certain piece of equipment is ludicrous.

That movie was probably one of the best war movies ever made and it was certainly one of the most realistic.

LOL... BIG LOL!!!!! In the Film they claimed The German Wespe to be an Panther..... The Tiger used was a bad rebuild.
also its full of unrealistic scenes:

1. Tiger commandant driving throu a battle in a village while looking out of the command copula (which was on the wrong side if the tiger as far i remember).

2. Arty Tanks (wespe) are beeing used in close combat with infantry.

3. one american soldier stops several SS soldiers... by holding a carabine up and jelling: Stop WTF!!!! BIIIIG LOL

its always nice to see hollywood movies and their view on us germans.........:D :D :eek:

Upvote 0
D.a.L, it is a movie for Christsake. If you want movies about how proficient your ancesters were at being soldiers or you want to see WW2 vehicles as they really were, then watch the fricken History Channel.

What did you think of Ralph Fiennes portrayal of your countryman Amon Goth? Over the top? Too fiendish? Didn't show his lighter quieter side?

Upvote 0
Torgue, interesting choices there. I was just thinking that "When Trumpets Fade" was one of the worst I've seen in recent memory and then I got to the bottom of your post __________________
Copy2ofwtf19.jpg

Sorry if you liked the movie , Bro, but man..., it was a STINKER!!!

Upvote 0
Ya, although its somewhat off forum topic, Tae Guk Gi was visually stunning and a great action flick, but somewhat unrealistic. Every fight devolved into a close combat brawl between hundreds of soldiers after like 1 minute of the initial charge. The end was amazing. The red flag company comes out and beats peeps. For like 5 minutes there is almost no firing. I mean tell me if you had a loaded gun you wouldnt pop off a shot at close range at the dude tryin to hit you? And also, why do Koreans seem to lack any strategy? All they did the whole movie was charge into melee...

Upvote 0
|KHSG|_Roamer said:
D.a.L, it is a movie for Christsake. If you want movies about how proficient your ancesters were at being soldiers or you want to see WW2 vehicles as they really were, then watch the fricken History Channel.

What did you think of Ralph Fiennes portrayal of your countryman Amon Goth? Over the top? Too fiendish? Didn't show his lighter quieter side?
Yes, exactly! If you guys want your war movies realistic, Id suggest you stick to documentaries, not at movies designed to appeal to the general pubic.

Upvote 0