• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

falling down from a non fatal gun shot wound

Ermac

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2007
I think it would add some realism if you would fall down from a non fatal gun shot wound. It would add some realism not knowing for sure if your enemy is dead or alive. It would also be an advantage to the player being shot knowing that he falls to the ground and isn't an easy target anymore. oops move this suggestions.

I think it would add some realism if you would fall down from a non fatal gun shot wound. It would add some realism not knowing for sure if your enemy is dead or alive. It would also be an advantage to the player being shot knowing that he falls to the ground and isn't an easy target anymore. oops move this suggestions.
The Source mod Resistance and Liberation, has a feature such as this. I personally don't have much knowledge of UE3 but I do know a number of UDK mods which utilize triggered ragdolls which could possibly be used to create the desired knockdown/falling effect.

I personally agree with the idea behind the feature. It works well in Resistance and Liberation (Despite the bug-e-ness) to create an environment where it is required to ensure your targets are dead. My only concern is how well it will fit in a game which has the option (server to server) to show death messages.

Upvote 0
Would be interesting to see tried, but I am not sure how it would work from a gameplay perspective.

I know I liked it a lot for the AI in GRAW 1/2 PC.

Since there is bandaging now it could be that someone hit in the leg falls down on the ground and cannot stand up until he bandages his leg.

Logically if someone is unable to fight back he should be dead in game.

But currently unless you are dead getting hit hardly got any effect on you. So personally I think it would be nice to increase the effects of being hit and basically reducing those effects when you're bandaged. This way when people get hit they won't immediately suicide, but still are in a dire situation.

Reactions: -[SiN]-bswearer
Upvote 0
In some cases, I think falling down would be very appropriate, leg wounds, some hits to the torso with just a bit of randomness thrown in.

It would certainly be better than getting stuck standing like a statue as it now is in ROOST.
Could also have the larger explosions cause knockdowns possibly. Of course the person would have to be in the magic area where the explosion causes damage but doesn't kill.

Upvote 0
lol why does everyone always bring up the magic bandages.

If you put a bandage on a leg wound it only stops the bleeding, it doesn't magically make you able to walk again. I think any initial damage should be kept after bandaging. The bandage should only stop the long term affects such as bleeding out.

With regards to falling upon non-fatal wounding, I think that being thrown to the floor after getting shot in the leg is fine, and in my opinion you should be momentarily stunned from shock and from pain. But perhaps if the MORALE conditions are met and the wound is not very serious ie. Shattered bones.... Then the player should be able to stand back up, but in a very crippled state: limping, slow moving, unsteady, can't sprint. The player at this point should also be bleeding out, with the long term affect of vision loss and death. If a bandage is administered within this time then the players life should be extended, but the limping and such is still there.

AND

if anyone wants to say that if they have to fight in a crippled state they might aswell suicide, then thats their problem, their scores are going to be greatly affected and so will their reinforcements if everyone kills themselves.

Upvote 0
Why I bring up magical bandages. In current RO you cannot give a player a lasting wound or cripple him. Purely because he will suicide (there is a reason why this was changed in the mod). Meaning that currently after being hit in Roost after 5 seconds its like nothing happened.

So although bandaging is not realistic, its a clear step up in the good direction from automatically being patched up after 5 seconds as it is now in ROOST. As people have a means to treat their injury they can be crippled till they do so.

So Skoko you have 2 choices atm:

1. After 5 seconds when being non fatally shot somehow you will be made automatically fine. (how it is now in ROOST)
2. After being shot you have the effect of being crippled and possibly bleed out unless you patch yourself up.

Both aren't ideal from a realistic perspective, but don't tell me that you do not think that option 2 is better than option 1.

------------

Now you say bring it back to how it was in the original mod release, well that simply is not going to happen in territory perhaps in countdown.

You re-spawn out of a public reinforcement pool rather than individual so actually if someone suicides its not like that person will bear the consequences (which is one of the reasons why I want individual reinforcements). And if the negative score of suicide is too big then you can just walk out in the open and let yourself get shot by the enemy to get no negative score.

Last edited:
Reactions: O'Shannon
Upvote 0
So...

What you're saying is you agree with me?

Number 2 is the clear option.... But
After being shot you are crippled and dying, the bandage will save your life but you remain crippled because of the damage the bullet has done to you.

I think this way is better,

Screw anyone who is going to suicide and hell, let them suicide I don't care. I sure as hell won't be. I think the magic bandage scenario is just too unrealistic for a game like HoS.

Upvote 0
So...

What you're saying is you agree with me?

Number 2 is the clear option.... But
After being shot you are crippled and dying, the bandage will save your life but you remain crippled because of the damage the bullet has done to you.

I think this way is better,

Screw anyone who is going to suicide and hell, let them suicide I don't care. I sure as hell won't be. I think the magic bandage scenario is just too unrealistic for a game like HoS.

I agree with your statement but it just isn't going to happen. Which is why i'm an advocate for option 2 where the magical bandaids make you less cripple. As its better than the current case 1.

I would sure love a server option to make users more permanently cripple (especially with the countdown gametype). But Its just out of reality to expect it to become the standard especially in territory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since there is bandaging now it could be that someone hit in the leg falls down on the ground and cannot stand up until he bandages his leg.

Logically if someone is unable to fight back he should be dead in game.

But currently unless you are dead getting hit hardly got any effect on you. So personally I think it would be nice to increase the effects of being hit and basically reducing those effects when you're bandaged. This way when people get hit they won't immediately suicide, but still are in a dire situation.

I do agree.

Being hit in the arm should also mean less stability, or if in the leg, no running, ect.

But I am open to seeing this implemented.

Upvote 0
At the very least, I think this idea should be implemented with gunshot wounds to the legs of a moving target. It is safe to say that if you were running and then suddenly there was a chunk of your leg missing, you would at least trip and fall. For stationary targets, i think soldiers should stumble a bit if hit in the legs or feet

Upvote 0
Could just skip all the headache by making wounds that would take you out of combat kill you outright.

You know, like it has been.

Having to deal with lame screen effects and sluggish movement is something I think a majority of players would rather not deal with. Including me. In fact, I think the bandaging system itself is a bad idea, even if it's to be very rarely used. Getting shot somewhere that you can manage doesn't seem like it would be a common thing. Arms, legs, shoulders, these are all "vital" areas for a soldier. A rifle round would shatter each of them.

I'd rather have death/"close to death" animations than magical bandages and MW2 jam face screen effects. Get hit, your unfortunate WW2 avatar falls on his back and struggles for a bit, and the enemy player gets another shot to put you down and into the respawn queue faster.

Upvote 0
I don't want to immediately die by a pistol shot in my hand. Yet I do not want being hit while not dying have no reaction on my character. Permanent effects are annoying, but effects that last till you use a remedy make a lot of sense.

I think that utilizing a bandaging system is the best way to bridge both worlds. And by allowing people to possibly live for a little while after they have been hit, allows for actual stopping power of a weapon to matter.

Aka get hit with a rifle and be immediately out of the action, get hit by a pistol and you can still go to the enemy and bleed on him. :p

Upvote 0