• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The honest thoughts of an RO:Ost vet

I agree 100% with the OP. Up until yesterday I was one of the few whose stats were working quite well. Then something glitched out last night and 3 of my classes jumped to hero and my weapon stats are also no longer mine. Now, for the first time in a week or so I have no desire to play the game as the gameplay alone just is not that appealing.

RO1 was a unique game. Maybe it was niche but it worked. RO2 has none of the uniqueness and there are other games on the market of this type that do it far better.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, they (TWI) made an arcade version of ROOST with still some elements from ROOST surviving.

The bad coding with the tanking, the lack of details in balance (hordes of Mkb42's...seriously???) and weapons (YOU CANT EVEN FIX OR UNFIX YOUR BAYONET?!!!!!!) all make it a rushed game that tends towards arcade gameplay.

Even the tanking in ROOST was far more realistic and better coded than in HOS.

Couldnt TWI let the coding do by the DH team?

No, i disagree,

Tanking wasn`t realistic at all. 2 shots tank is destroyed.
angled is2 is undistractable. I had often to flank that beast.

What we now have is closer to reality. I miss a panther or tiger or
a is2.

Upvote 0
As I had problem finding playable servers in ROOST, I don't have enough experience to miss that much like OP,

Though I played many major fps like ghost recon advanced warfighter pc mp, cod 4, cod mw2, sniper ghost warrior, arma1, arma2, crysis 2, battlefield bad comapny2, all on pc and about +1200 hours in total.

I gotta say weapon firing and being accurate shooter is really easy in RO2.
I wasn't good long range shooter in cod series, and bfbc2, crysis 2 pc mp.
But shooting long range target in RO2 is maybe the easiest among the games I played so far.

Due to small sway, non significant holding the breath function, "always" "regardless of shooter's firing position or status" pinpoint accurate rifles made the shooting in RO2 very easy thing for me.

And I really don't appreciate this somewhat dumbing down the difficulty of shooting, I quite don't think it's realistic...maybe somewhat worse than cod series;;;;;

I don't really mind the fact that I have to tweak the config myself to get good fps, nor about the waiting for future patches for more stable gameplay.

But, easier shooting? this isn't what I expected from RO2.
when I bought RO2, I wanted hardcore FPS, as realstically hard as it gets cos I like games like ghost recon advanced warfighter 2 pc mp for it was quite realistic and hard as hell.

I am somewhat disappointed at reduced sway, insignificant holding breath function, overall noob friendly firing sequence, it's not quite I expected and it's one thing I really can't like about RO2 now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5thSSDW.KGW~CO
Upvote 0
Agree with OP! I thought RO2 is gonna be one of those games that hold for years like Project Reality did for me, but I cant force myself to play it longer than I played BC2 b4 I got fed up.. and Im already gettin fed with this one, too.

Its not about bugs, its the unbalanced and repetitive gameplay and maps along with ridicilous unlocks just for the sake of unlocks and lots of full auto spam, with insane run speeds on any terrain that make it even harder for the few bolt action dudes out there.
@Devs: Learn from FH2, its allot more balanced as a whole and just as fast paced and fun as RO2 (if not more).

same here, the game is getting boring fast because of all these arcade gameplay additions.

it's just so absurd, taking cover isn't even worth it, players run like racers with insta ironsights. running and gunning is made the favorite gameplay choice not the tactical maneuvering like in original RO.

Upvote 0
same here, the game is getting boring fast because of all these arcade gameplay additions.

it's just so absurd, taking cover isn't even worth it, players run like racers with insta ironsights. running and gunning is made the favorite gameplay choice not the tactical maneuvering like in original RO.

Here is the point, they changed their ways, going for an all out automatic fps games, but if we really wanted that, would we have ever bought ro2? and just wait for a good bf 3 or CoD 4?
We all awaited RO2 as our beloved historical fps, as ro1 is, but now this is just an another ww2 game, with imrpoved mechs, yea? but what else?

Game being boring, no more excitment, i would wait for any DH team release to get my hands back on this game otherwise, since next month and bf3 , i more or less sure that Tripwire is gonna loose a lot of its community, for the sake of playing on another "grounds" FPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Their are some 19 automatic slots in game for an infantry only map out of 32 slots
In RO1 the typical infantry only map had 6 or 8 out of 16 slots. Though a few maps had 9 to 16 automatic slots (on the Russian side on Lyes Krovy it was possible for the team to have zero bolt actions (12x SMGs, 2x Semis and 2x MGs), the Germans would have 7 bolts on the same map).

So it's not to far off from RO1 levels of automatics.

Alas, for your comparison, you choosed the most arcade map of RO, by far.
So arcade it was nicknamed "The Pacman map".

Reactions: Richey79
Upvote 0
What is killing the red orchestra war feeling isn't the amount of mbk42 (which wouldn't be such a problem if the game hadn't sticked to battle of stalingrad), (aka stg44) because we had stg44 in roost (maybe not as many) but still, it's all those little arcade features they added to make the game easier for new players, zoom first of the list, then no sway no recoil, instant iron sight.
I mean the graphics are pretty good, the maps may need some balance but are cool, but what they did to the gameplay and shooting is unforgivable.

Even the weapon loadouts could have been forgiven if they had kept the features that had made red orchestra an outstanding game, no zoom, delay to go in IS mode etc. in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And I really don't appreciate this somewhat dumbing down the difficulty of shooting, I quite don't think it's realistic...maybe somewhat worse than cod series;;;;;

I am somewhat disappointed at reduced sway, insignificant holding breath function, overall noob friendly firing sequence, it's not quite I expected and it's one thing I really can't like about RO2 now.

These things are not "noob friendly", they are realistic. In this game, unlike the others you mentioned, bullets actually leave the barrel and travel across the map. The rifles are as accurate as the shooter, just like in reality. Not dumbed down at all, rather ramped up to a realistic level.

Upvote 0
Sir, maybe I am blind or disabled, but if I am watching to a building 200 m away from me and focus on that hot chick adverdisement that I can hardly identify, I never experienced artificial binoculars in my eyes. Never happened, will not happen, so I am not buying your story...

The so-called zoom view represents the approximate size and level of detail at which you would see objects in real life with your naked eye. It's when you stop looking down the sights that it zooms out unrealistically to a fish eye, wide angle view. However, if it didn't do that, you would have almost no peripheral vision.

In other words, both views are equally unrealistic when compared to the human eye, because the eye can provide the level of detail of the zoom simultaneously with an even wider range of peripheral vision than the game can provide at it's highest FOV, all without any actual zooming.

The only way to come close to representing the extremes of the human eye on a flat computer screen that doesn't wrap around and fill our entire field of vision is to provide multiple views -- in this case, one that approximates the actual level of detail, and the other that approximates the actual peripheral vision.

Again, the human eye provides both at the same time, but the game cannot.

Upvote 0
These things are not "noob friendly", they are realistic. In this game, unlike the others you mentioned, bullets actually leave the barrel and travel across the map. The rifles are as accurate as the shooter, just like in reality. Not dumbed down at all, rather ramped up to a realistic level.

It is selective realism though isn't it. Its not like they will add realism if it makes the guns harder to control, only if its making the game easier from a FPS pov. Then ignore realism in several other areas of the game, including weapon handling

Reactions: Keyser_Söze
Upvote 0
Not dumbed down at all, rather ramped up to a realistic level.

There is N O T H I N G realistic about zero sway when going to iron sights while standing.

It is particularly, obviously unrealistic when you go to iron sights while standing when you just finished a 60 yard wind sprint and still have zero sway.

There is nothing realistic about having the difference in iron sights sway between standing, crouching and laying down be so slight it is virtually unnoticeable.

As of now, I am playing the game they gave us and having a good time. Unfortunately, this is not the game I was hoping for.

Putting Red Orchestra in the title almost seems like fraud - like a bait and switch done with forethought to get RO players to buy it. It is THAT unlike RO1 in terms of the game play.

But I am still playing the game. It is still fun.

It just isn't what I would call a Red Orchestra game.

If they had taken RO1 added new maps, added the cover system, recon planes and morale and nothing else it would have already been the best WWII shooter in history.

But they chose to arcade/console it up, I guess, to appeal to the COD players of the world.

For THEM it will seem like a dream come true, since it so much more realistic, with a much higher degree of difficulty and skill required.

For US it feels like a betrayal and abandonment of principals in exchange for dumbed down, mass appeal.

But I am still playing it.

For now.

Upvote 0
I've never, ever felt like I wasted time to register on a forum, even ones that I hardly visit. But this... I don't know. It's like going to a mean friend's house thinking "I'll hang out with him for a while, I might have fun" then, once you step in, you realize that he's a jerk, and you regret ever meeting him. That's how I feel when I check out these forums. I've never seen a more biased, torn community. See the PAGES of threads complaining about how it's either too much like COD or not enough like RO:OST. And these threads go on for 5+ pages! All of them!

As far as the OP is concerned, dude, the game has been out for less than a month! How can anyone expect a perfect game? That's what I read constantly. Patience is a virtue, and I can clearly see no one has it here. I'll continue to play this game, because I have fun. Yes, I'd like to see increased weapon sway, and longer distances on maps, but really? I know it will happen, eventually. And I look forward to it, but I realize that it isn't here yet, and am still happy. I cringe when people talk realism. "It's too easy to hit at targets in 100m distances!" Well, thus is life. That is pretty close to your target. If you've never seen combat before, then you have NO IDEA what it's like, so please stop saying "I've played RO:OST, so I know exactly how it real-life firefights took place", because you don't.

Reactions: Mihajlo Pavlovic
Upvote 0
Hm.. I really love the game. But I still have to agree on all your points!
There are to many automatic weapons, the unlock-system is a good idea, but some things are just unnecessary! And yes, I'm also a hero. The first days a wasn't able to level up. Then it worked. I was level 17, next day I logged in I was lvl 40 ?! I restarted the game and I was level 7* (don't remember exactly which level.. I think 76). The next day I was level 84 and could choose a hero! I hope you get those problems sorted out. Because I really enjoy your game, but somethings are just annoying :(

Upvote 0

No, it isn't realistic. Have you ever shot a 98k or 91/30? Even seated and supported hitting a bullseye at 300 meters is extremely difficult. Try standing, out of breath from sprinting and shooting a moving or concealed target and 100 meters. You won't hit it.

The guns are laser beams.

To the poster who said the # of SMGs is historically accurate, in the case of the Russians you may be correct. Entire fireteams were issued with the cheap, simple to produce PPSH (with ****ing drum mags lol). However, virtually all the German soldiers were issued 98ks.

Finally to whoever said he's sick of hearing about people rivet-counting... the problem isn't that TWI has inaccurate markings on the guns... it's that they INSIST that they did it right, despite being flat out proven wrong. That's ultimately the entire problem. The game is a CoD-clone and, had TWI said "we are making a CoD-clone" I would not be complaining now. Granted I wouldn't be playing it either. It feels like they said "**** the community, just get them to buy it" which is an idiotic business model if they want repeat business. They promised a realistic feel heavily reminiscent of RO, but the game is the complete opposite.

Think before you post xD

As far as the OP is concerned, dude, the game has been out for less than a month! How can anyone expect a perfect game? That's what I read constantly. Patience is a virtue, and I can clearly see no one has it here. I'll continue to play this game, because I have fun. Yes, I'd like to see increased weapon sway, and longer distances on maps, but really? I know it will happen, eventually. And I look forward to it, but I realize that it isn't here yet, and am still happy. I cringe when people talk realism. "It's too easy to hit at targets in 100m distances!" Well, thus is life. That is pretty close to your target. If you've never seen combat before, then you have NO IDEA what it's like, so please stop saying "I've played RO:OST, so I know exactly how it real-life firefights took place", because you don't.

I never said anything about expecting a perfect game. If you'll notice I didn't say anything about all the bugs and glitches plaguing the game, because every release has those. The problem is with content. Have you ever seen a game release a patch that entirely changes gameplay?

Also how do you know I've never been in the military? :p

Oh also there is a huge difference between hitting a target with a .223 carbine with a pistol grip and hitting a target with a steel tube strapped to a chunk of wood that fires a round the size of your head xD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It just isn't what I would call a Red Orchestra game.

If they had taken RO1 added new maps, added the cover system, recon planes and morale and nothing else it would have already been the best WWII shooter in history.

But they chose to arcade/console it up, I guess, to appeal to the COD players of the world.

For THEM it will seem like a dream come true, since it so much more realistic, with a much higher degree of difficulty and skill required.

For US it feels like a betrayal and abandonment of principals in exchange for dumbed down, mass appeal.

But I am still playing it.

For now.

I think this just stated all

Upvote 0
I agree,

the deliberate pacing is what I really miss, working hard to slowly gain ground, and finally objectives... playing one map for 20min or more, you really got a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment...

that is essentially gone, its sprint sprint sprint shoot sprint sprint shoot sprint sprint shoot and before you know whats going on the map is over either because you won with a tidal wave or the silly lockdown timer started

I do however have confidence in the mods too come!

Reactions: Kashash
Upvote 0