• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Chthon

Greetings,

after KF-Carnival is exploited, you'll get the chance to try another one by the Colonel.

This will also enter Wave 2 of the contest, and you better be prepared for good stuff this time ;)

Update 09-02-2009: Added another screenshot. Enjoy!

Update 09-19-2009: Better screenshots. Beta will be out this afternoon.

BETA RELEASE 2: KF-Chthon092

---> Download at www.schade-blog.de/schade-studios/the_crypt/KF-Chthon092.rar <---

Mirroring is welcome!

This the second release.

Added more detail, ambient sound, and blocked most of the spawning areas. Final release will happen once perfomance tweaking and bug fixing is done.

Things that are still missing:
-Music
-A few static meshes for more detailing
-A few zed spawn points, but the gameflow is quite good for now

Known bugs:

Sometimes zed get stuck behind a door. Door angles are being revisited.
The water surface in the catacombs has no sound effects.

When you playtest the map, please check for the following:

Are the weapon spawn points right?
Is there enough pressure?
Is there too much pressure?
Are there any exploits? (e.g. places where the players can hide)
Do zeds get stuck in doorways, have wrong pathing, etc.
Also, feel free to make suggestion on the overall looks of the map.

Have fun!

chthon01.jpg

chthon02.jpg

chthon03.jpg

chthon04.jpg

chthon05.jpg

chthon06.jpg

Cheers,
the Colonel

Last edited:
hey, loving the texture work. Looks like u went all out and made individual stones/tiles on the floor in the first shot. Is the floor underneath the stones/tiles bsp or terrain? coz i think it would look great if u had a bsp floor and the stones casted their shadows on it and i think its a terrain since its not as detailed as the stones and it sticks out. Love the lighting too. Only thing that sticks out is the curved surfaces. Have u tried to model them in a 3D software and get it in Ued as static meshes? They look very simple so it won't take very long to make them.

If u dont have access to it or ur very new to modeling, just look in the stock map westlondon in the sdk. In the church they have some very smooth curved surfaces. They are in as static meshes but u can copy them in ur map, convert them into BSP. Delete/Edit what u want turn to static mesh. Im sure u know how all that works. But try to fix that man, the map looks very nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for your comments. Yeah, the stones are static meshes on a bsp floor. The reason why they are not high-poly is due to perfomance reasons. It will look good enough but won't produce more overhead than needed. The ground itself has a plain texture and is not getting touched by that much light - the overall look is very plastic. Basically I tried a comparatively detailed approach with more surface that catches the light rays.

More screens to come later on :)

Upvote 0
Udpate:

After grabbing a decent cold, I welcomed the delay of the contest's deadline. Well, at least I didn't say which friday :D

I'll upload the Beta 09 this afternoon. In the meanwhile, check the new screenshots :)

Some facts:

Traders: 3
Pickups: 14

Filesize: approx. 60 MB (21 zipped)

Difficulty: Similar to Biotics Lab / Offices.

Stay tuned,
the Colonel

Upvote 0