• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Bayonet

Surkov

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2010
I can't seem to find a thread that already has this in it, so i decided to make this one. Does the bayonet have any impact on weapon accuracy when attached? I suspected firing down the sights while having a bayonet attached would cause some extra sway, however i can't seem to spot a difference. (Tch i just realized where this was posted can a mod move it? Sorry.)

Bayonet does have marginal effect on the aiming in general, but then we need to question where the bayonet is mounted. Since on M91s or M44s had it mounted on the side of the gun rather than 'below it', considering the lenght of such bayonet it does cause slightly more aiming issues than a bayonet mounted directly under the barrel ala SVT or Mauser. It's a matter of sight adjusment mostly in that case when the gun is made, or making your own personal compensation.

Even though I never understood the somewhat hilarious "omg noobs dont use bayonets" in RO:Ost on maps which includes moderately long range shooting, the effect is just very nonexistant.

Upvote 0
As far as RO is concerned, there is no ill effect to having a bayonet mounted. It doesn't affect accuracy, it doesn't affect sway. I don't think they've ever claimed that it DID have any sort of effect, they simply refrained from denying it and the community assumed the rest.
I believe it said in the instruction manual that the bayonet has an effect on sway. Of course in order to have the manual, you would have had to buy the retail game from a store (which I did, and thus why i have a manual)

Upvote 0
I can personally attest to the bayonet-sighting issue on the Mosin. I have an ex-dragoon 91/30. When I first took it to the range, it consistantly shot high and to the right. The second time out, I mounted the bayonet, and was able to get 2-3" groups on the bullseye at 100 yards.

In ROHOS, there should be some real-world issues with the bayonet, now that firearms actually collide with the environment. The bayonet will probably be a liability indoors.

Upvote 0
I can personally attest to the bayonet-sighting issue on the Mosin. I have an ex-dragoon 91/30. When I first took it to the range, it consistantly shot high and to the right. The second time out, I mounted the bayonet, and was able to get 2-3" groups on the bullseye at 100 yards.

In ROHOS, there should be some real-world issues with the bayonet, now that firearms actually collide with the environment. The bayonet will probably be a liability indoors.
LOL I can see it automatically cutting people who come within range ... "GAH ALEXEI! TAKE OFF THAT BAYONET! We're all bleeding!"

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0

My '36 M91/30 did the same thing until I fixed the bayonet. My 1945 M1944 was also inaccurate until I unfolded its bayo. BTW, the latter resulted in me nearly getting thrown out of the shooting range by security. Apparently it was OK to fire dozens of bullets the size of a finger with muzzle flashes so big they dwarfed the sun... but mount a bayo? Nope! Stow it or get out. :confused:

I hope that in HOS the 91/30's bayonet defaults to fixed, so that we don't have to slot it on at the beginning of each spawn. That has always been one of my peeves with RO, as it wastes time and is just not historically accurate. The bayonet was always fixed in reality unless the rifle was being stored or the soldier was traveling by vehicle. It shouldn't have even been a really a difficult code change, as you're just reversing two weapons states that already exist.

I just used my 91/30 with its bayonet as a prop in a video recently. I'd forgotten just how long it is. I'm 5' 10" and the thing was just shy of the top of my head. I couldn't imagine running through the forests and urban environments, under fire, with a heavy six foot stick in my hands.

Upvote 0
I believe it said in the instruction manual that the bayonet has an effect on sway. Of course in order to have the manual, you would have had to buy the retail game from a store (which I did, and thus why i have a manual)
Well I guess that means that they did say it. Nevertheless, the code says that it has no effect. At least, not that I ever saw. ;)

Upvote 0
It was doctrine for the bayonet to be fixed on the Mosins at all times, unless the rifle was racked for long(ish) term storage, or when in a vehicle.

The sighting of the rifles is absolutely affected by the bayonet. It affects the harmonic frequency of the barrel. The POI for my '29 Tula ex-dragoon is dramatically different with the bayonet fixed or removed. Fixed it's just about dead on. Removed, it shoots a little low and to the right. My M44, the difference is much more extreme: at 100 yards it shoots about a foot to the left, and several inches high.

My 91/30 PU, on the other hand ... it was never intended to have a bayonet fixed, so its POI is dead-nuts PERFECT without the bayonet. It's a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA rifle all day long.

Upvote 0
Well I guess that means that they did say it. Nevertheless, the code says that it has no effect. At least, not that I ever saw. ;)

I stand corrected, I just found the ROOST manual under my bed, looked over it 3 times, and found nothing saying that the bayonet affects sway:eek:

I think i was confused with band of brothers, where they tell the rookies that they'll never be able to shoot straight with the bayonet on

Upvote 0