• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Desert island PC games

dogbadger

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2006
here to kill your monster
Being stranded on a desert island isn't so bad - here's the deal....

You get a state-of-the-art PC, with online connection, and just 10 currently available games to keep you occupied.

Not necesarily your all-time favourite games or highest rated, just ones you feel will offer the most longevity, or you otherwise couldn't live without.
Could even include something you haven't yet played, if you have that much confidence in it.

With each choice you get all freely available official additional content as well as access to any 3rd party addons ie. missions, levels, reality/balance/mini-mods etc. that absorb into the main game.

However, an official retail expansion pack counts as 1 choice, as does any distinctly different mod that launches separately - but in both cases you could forego playing the parent game so that doesn't count as a choice itself.

For online games that you enjoyed in the past but the player count has since died out - don't worry, you can play that game as it was in it's heyday- please note that with your choice.

You will also be supplied with peripherals such as a flightstick / wheels+pedals sets if your choices benefit from them, please specify what hardware you would choose.

And finally - don't worry about OS incompatibilities and all dos based games run perfectly.

OK, show us your 10...

Reactions: LemoN
1 RO:CA
2 Earth 2150: Lost Souls
3 Third age: Total War mod for M2TW
4 Fatal Fake
5 Empire: Total War
6 Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
7 Oblivion
8 Mare Nostrum
---------------------------------------
9 Lineage 2
10 Guild Wars
----------------------------------------

Could even include something you haven't yet played, if you have that much confidence in it.

If this count, then remove 9 and 10 and change them for:

9 RO:HoS
10 Guild Wars 2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd prefer to get a gun so I could shoot myself. Anyways, I'd probably mostly go for games which really occupy you:

StarCraft 2
World of Warcraft(never played it but I imagine a MMO will keep you occupied)
Day of Defeat (not source)
Battlefield 2
Test Drive Unlimited
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010
Red Orchestra: Ostfront
Hearts of Iron 2
Empire: Total War
Counterstrike: Source

Reactions: dogbadger
Upvote 0
UT (for gameplay reasons)
UT2k4 (Alien Swarm Mod, KF Mod, Unwheel Mod, ...)
Killing Floor
Dawn Of War (with this amount of content)
Titan Quest (hacknslay... hours of fun)
Diablo II
Half-Life (loads of nice mods)
Half-Life 2 (more nice mods)
World of Warcraft (see above for reasons)
MUGEN Fighting Engine (yeah that may be a game or so)

-----
Does UDK count as well?

Reactions: dogbadger
Upvote 0
Battlefield 2142
Alien Swarm (UT2K4 mod)
Natural Selection (HL1 mod)
Hostile Intent (HL1 mod)
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
Red Orchestra: Ostfront '41-'45
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Deus Ex
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

And, since I'd be alone forever, World of Warcraft. Ganking is a meaningful form of human interaction. :D

I take it you're not allowed to use one of those night sky star charts to figure out where you are and ask people online for a boat. If the internet use is restricted to games only, that'd change my list a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ArmA 2. Has a powerful editor and an endless supply of addons and missions.

Red Orchestra: Ostfront.

M&B Warband. Very addicting and has a lot of replay-value.

STALKER. Plenty of mods and freeroam.

Killing Floor.

Rainbow Six: Raven Shield.

BF: Bad Company 2.

Thief 2: The Metal Age.

DSC: Black Shark + TrackIR + flightstick. Never played it, but I'll have plenty of time to learn the controls.

Quite a lot of first person shooters... for variety's sake the tenth would be either a rally-racing game like Dirt (+ racing wheel) or an RTS like one of the Total War games.

Hell, the games in that list would probably keep me occupied for at least a couple of years (as some of them do now :D).

Upvote 0
ok i think that I better clear this up cos there's been a few failures to comply with the stringent and somewhat anally-retentive stipulations of the thread.

the games must be currently available.
when i suggested 'a game you may not have played yet' i ment, for example in my case, flight simulator X, even thou i've only played MSFS2004 - or operation arrowhead for arma2 as i'm 100% sure they would both fulfill my expectations.

And I know mods/addons are a grey area with DLC and all that but -
If it runs from a new executable or it's additional content that costs money - it's an extra choice.

However if you don't intend to play the host game you don't have to count it, so 1 choice could be -
project reality but not playing BF2
COD1 running the united offensive expansion only

this means lemon can choose Hearts of Iron 3 with sempi fi addon as 1 selection - if thats the only why he plays the game.

anyway sorry if that's a bit complicated, otherwise it's a bit too easy to choose games with loads of mods or expansions packs.

ok some interesting choices so far - less shooters than i expected, and just 1 racing game surprisingly.

Upvote 0