• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic "tactical shooter" on the horizon : Ground Branch

New newsletter.

http://www.blackfootstudios.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2957

BFS will actually release two games. The other game is called "Sky Gods" and will focus on SF HALO drops. It will be released before Ground Branch.

SG_Concept_A.jpg

Buy it so you can further support development of Ground Branch, *****es! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bumping this with a suggestion. TWI, please help Ground Branch get released on Steam. :) I think this would be a great project for you guys.

http://www.blackfootstudios.com/

PC gaming is in desperate need of a new tactical CQB shooter (the last one, SWAT 4, was released in 2005), and for years Ground Branch was thought to become exactly that game. But BlackFoot Studios have two problems: they can't find a publisher and they don't have a dev team. Right now it's just two guys working on the game sporadically. As written in the OP, these guys worked on the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games so they know what they're doing. They have an amazing and solid concept, lots of great ideas and a good design philosophy... but with the way things are going the game will never be released.

Raven Shield, SWAT 4 and (to a lesser extent) Ghost Recon are all great CQB shooters that are a lot of fun in co-op while on TS3. It's a rush to stack against a door, pop a flashbang, storm inside, set up points of dominance and sweep the entire room within three seconds. That **** never gets boring. Controlled chaos. One of my favourite things to do in multiplayer. But while these games are great, they don't have the bells and whistles that a good modern tactical shooter ought to have (iron sights, freelook etc), so tactical CQB fans have to 'make do' with these old games... this kind of game simply isn't made any more.

TWI, if you help publish Ground Branch, you can fill that void and make a lot of tactical gamers verrrrry happy. You have already done great things to support the 'little guys' and that's one of the reasons why we love you, so please consider this for a future project! :) :IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well in my eyes free-look was always something that made movement feel more clunky. I imagine it feels different if you have a motion senser in your hand like the Move where you directly control the hand and move it around, but in a mouse-controlled FPS I want FULL control, especcially in close quarters. The 1-2seconds it takes to turn around are no big deal.

Upvote 0
Publish, help develop, completely take over development... whatever is needed really. And freelook is always useful, for example when you're the first guy in the stack and want to look over your shoulder to see if everybody is in position.

John has said that he knows some of the TWI devs. Hopefully this means TWI can help publish the game if anything. I wouldn't agree with the part in bold though. John and GB have/are doing something special, something I doubt many, if any other developers can pull off.

But, I have a strong feeling this will never get released. Just too much work for such a small team with little to no funding. Think of SWAT 4/Raven Shield, with more detailed weapons than RO. Never been done in a game before. Exactly why I would want it though. I hope it gets released, but I am having my doubts. :(

John has said that they will have something public and playable within 2010, or else the project is shelved.

Upvote 0
TWI probably coulden't do much for them unless they can assemble a Dev team, TWI will have their hands full with RO2 for some time to come, the timing here is not going to allow for a KF style merger.

But if thease guys can assemble a competent team to finish the game, then yeah, TWI could be in a good position to help them out and make a few bucks on it too, but they will need to have a team.

Upvote 0
John has said that he knows some of the TWI devs. Hopefully this means TWI can help publish the game if anything. I wouldn't agree with the part in bold though. John and GB have/are doing something special, something I doubt many, if any other developers can pull off.
Yup, we know Sonedecker pretty well!

Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0

But TWI can do it, I'm sure of it. :) I wouldn't mind if TWI took over development as long as they stay true to BFS' vision. I do agree that BFS forming a full dev team would be the first step in the right direction, but they've already tried that and failed. No funding. And I'm not sure if TWI wants to take the risk of funding them, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't... but I'm sure they can help BFS in a couple of ways. Perhaps Sonedecker would agree with a KF-style development where both his team and TWI are working on the game. That would certainly be a better option than creating a dev team from scratch without any funding.

BTW, I agree that TWI will have their hands full with RO2 for now, but I'm convinced that they are brainstorming about new projects quite regularly. They are a business after all.

Yup, we know Sonedecker pretty well!

That's nice, has he ever approached you guys about Ground Branch, or vice-versa? Ground Branch has the potential of becoming the 'Rainbow Six' of this decade and if one company can do it, it's you guys.

Anyway, just planting seeds. Hopefully you'll consider it. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
But TWI can do it, I'm sure of it. :) I wouldn't mind if TWI took over development as long as they stay true to BFS' vision. I do agree that BFS forming a full dev team would be the first step in the right direction, but they've already tried that and failed. No funding. And I'm not sure if TWI wants to take the risk of funding them, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't... but I'm sure they can help BFS in a couple of ways. Perhaps Sonedecker would agree with a KF-style development where both his team and TWI are working on the game. That would certainly be a better option than creating a dev team from scratch without any funding.

You have to remember that KF didn't happen untill long after RO:Ost had been out, and futher development for it was allready on the decline.

HoS is not out yet, and will need further development once it's out too, because TWI has promised us that and they have a reputation to protect. There's also Rising Storm, which they may need to delop if it's going to become a payware expansion, there's some deal there with the RS team.

The timing is by no means the same situation TWI was in when KF presented itself, and they are only 30 guys or so in the company (TWI that is), so there are limits to how much they can bite off and chew at a time.

That said, if there existed a solid deal between TWI and Blackfoot, that basically states "if you get it done, and up to release standards, we will put it on steam and you can start making some money, and so can we", then Blackfoot might actually be able to attract some talent, though they woulden't get paid in the short term, they would in the long term, so it'd be more like the release of The Ball, and there are many talented people in the modding scene that would give their left nut for such an oppertunity.

That could work, and depending on how long GB would be in development, TWI might even have some manpower freed up by the time it's nearing release condition, so they could give it some last minute spit-polish before it leaves the gate.

But an exact KF style release, i somewhat doubt that, i think they have too much on their plate allready.

Upvote 0
Bumping this with a suggestion. TWI, please help Ground Branch get released on Steam. :) I think this would be a great project for you guys.

[url]http://www.blackfootstudios.com/[/URL]

PC gaming is in desperate need of a new tactical CQB shooter (the last one, SWAT 4, was released in 2005), and for years Ground Branch was thought to become exactly that game. But BlackFoot Studios have two problems: they can't find a publisher and they don't have a dev team. Right now it's just two guys working on the game sporadically. As written in the OP, these guys worked on the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games so they know what they're doing. They have an amazing and solid concept, lots of great ideas and a good design philosophy... but with the way things are going the game will never be released.

Raven Shield, SWAT 4 and (to a lesser extent) Ghost Recon are all great CQB shooters that are a lot of fun in co-op while on TS3. It's a rush to stack against a door, pop a flashbang, storm inside, set up points of dominance and sweep the entire room within three seconds. That **** never gets boring. Controlled chaos. One of my favourite things to do in multiplayer. But while these games are great, they don't have the bells and whistles that a good modern tactical shooter ought to have (iron sights, freelook etc), so tactical CQB fans have to 'make do' with these old games... this kind of game simply isn't made any more.

TWI, if you help publish Ground Branch, you can fill that void and make a lot of tactical gamers verrrrry happy. You have already done great things to support the 'little guys' and that's one of the reasons why we love you, so please consider this for a future project! :) :IS2:
I give my support.

Upvote 0
Also they'd probably have to use a new graphics engine. I remember the engine they had already looked pretty dated when I was following BFS like 2 years ago. And if we're talking real tactical PC FPS then I want the technological advantage that comes with it, in other words the game shouldn't look worse(meaning not as good) than HoS. Now I still didn't figure out whether TWI has a UE3 license for an unlimited amount of games or just one, but that might require even more work for the BFS "guys" to change back to that(I take it they worked on Ravenshield which was UE2.5).

Reactions: aesdana and Stormer
Upvote 0