• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

I understand completley what you're saying, but any time that a company repeatedly sets its goals for success as "taking down X or Y" they are already limiting themselves.

I find it to be such a shallow goal that isn't good for their public image. I would think they would much rather say "Our goal is to make great games to the best of our ability, and if that happens to mean surpassing other games in sales, then so be it." It may sound like semantics, but I think it really says something about the mindset of a company when it repeatedly measures its own success by how close it is to eliminating the competition.

I 100% agree with you on that. I just got the impression you were insinuating BF3 is striving to be a CoD clone rather than BF3 is trying to clone CoD's success. But like you're correctly saying, by trying to emulate CoD's success they are forcing themselves to limit the innovation. They're also coming off as petty and giving the impression they have something to prove which is absurd considering they make the ****ing Battlefield series.

Upvote 0
I 100% agree with you on that. I just got the impression you were insinuating BF3 is striving to be a CoD clone rather than BF3 is trying to clone CoD's success. But like you're correctly saying, by trying to emulate CoD's success they are forcing themselves to limit the innovation. They're also coming off as petty and giving the impression they have something to prove which is absurd considering they make the ****ing Battlefield series.
Right. By doing this they're actually selling themselves short. No one ever became great by trying to take another down. Such success is limited in every way.

In saying that BF3 was trying to BE CoD I meant that it's trying to replace it in the marketplace, not that it's trying to be the same kind of game. Regardless, I see both approaches basically resulting in the same kind of product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DICE:

Upvote 0
Vintage.

"Important" things go on the outside of a gamebox to try and help it sell. If "hey you can use prone, derp" is worth putting on the outside of a box then we as gamers have problems. Because things that became standard a while ago should never be dropped, then brought back and advertised as though they were innovative.

"RO4, now with ironsights!"

Upvote 0
See, you are being purposefully ignorant so you can continue to complain for no reason. BC2 didn't have prone, many people complained. BF3 has prone, so they decide to let everyone who complained about the lack of prone know that prone is back in the game. Now you complain that they are letting you know you can prone in the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Right well I know who to go to when I want condescending remarks over the internet. I hear that makes you oh so much more the man!

The topic that others were talking about before you came in to enlighten us "children" is Box art. GG MR Moe mentioned "Box Art" and if you read my post again you will also find the words "gamebox". I personally have held game boxes in futureshop and stood there laughing as the box advertises that you can "lean around corners!!!" like that was something new and innovative.

I see now why they say things like that are new and innovative ..... ( Perhaps you have brought some 'light' to this situation, but in a much more cynical way.....:rolleyes:...:))

Reactions: Harb
Upvote 0
You can both actually be right here, you know. It is nice to have prone back, but you have to admit that as one of the first features announced (and repeated endlessly) it does seem like bottom of the barrel marketing.

I don't know if they could have said it in a way that wouldn't have gotten a negative response from someone. Because one of the first things I asked of the game when it was announced was "Did you put prone back, you ****s?"

Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0
See, you are being purposefully ignorant so you can continue to complain for no reason. BC2 didn't have prone, many people complained. BF3 has prone, so they decide to let everyone who complained about the lack of prone know that prone is back in the game.

BF1942 had prone. BF2 had prone. BF2142 also had prone. Bad Company is a console spinoff and AFAIK BC1 didn't have prone either. Now considering Battlefield 3 is Battlefield 3 rather than Battlefield : Bad Company 3 (at least in theory) there's a reason to expect they would have prone as a standard feature that doesn't require its own merit printed with letters the size of a cat just to make sure people know that "HAY GUYZ WE HAVE PRONE AGAIN."

If that's not clear enough we could always make hypothetical scenario that let's take some generic shoes and suddenly the manufracturer would stop to use shoelaces in their products for some unknown reason. Few years later when they decides to put them back and market their new superawshumenkulkille-shoes with "NOW WITH SHOELACES" it's a disgrace, unless they're slippers, jackboots or some other kind of of 'speciality' shoes have had shoelaces as standard part of them for very long time already, it's not really a marketing point to the company's favour.

It raises all sorts of questions to EA and DICE as have they completely lost faith in the series (or the fans) as they need to have features -- which have been standard in the main BF-series since the 1st installment was released needs -- in their hype all over the place as a figure of speech or did they really jump the shark and decided to not give a flying **** about it anymore, as long as it sounds fresh and they did a "major" change. I'm honestly expecting mouse and keyboard customisation next ala MW2 at this rate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
See, you are being purposefully ignorant so you can continue to complain for no reason. BC2 didn't have prone, many people complained. BF3 has prone, so they decide to let everyone who complained about the lack of prone know that prone is back in the game. Now you complain that they are letting you know you can prone in the game.

I think you are missing the point in that it is kinda funny. It is good that they are including prone, but they are making such a big deal about it as if it is some new major innovation when many people consider it should be a standard feature almost not worth mentioning.

Its like seeing a new car on the lot and there is a sign on it saying "New! All 4 tires now included!"

Get it? :D

Upvote 0
your car, now comes with ..*drumroll please* AN ENGINE! :D:D

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

:p

Upvote 0

Ahh yes valued customer, we appreciate your bending over, err I mean buying our product.

By the way you might be interested in buying some of our DLC's.
- Brakes
- Drive train ( Drive shaft sold seperatly )
- Doors

What, how dare you accuse us of selling a deliberatly incomplete product! *gasp*, THE NERVE!.

( Ok this is more of a mafia 2 related joke but why not ).

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
They said that they were releasing the sdk a while back am i right? :eek:
Nope. They have always said that mod tools were "no comment."

What's worse is the fact that modding is far from dead. Does this guy even remotely play the Fallout games? There are **** tons of great mods, BECAUSE BETHESDA GAVE PEOPLE TOOLS. It's not a complex idea to understand.

You give people the tools and they will find a way.

Upvote 0
Nope. They have always said that mod tools were "no comment."

What's worse is the fact that modding is far from dead. Does this guy even remotely play the Fallout games? There are **** tons of great mods, BECAUSE BETHESDA GAVE PEOPLE TOOLS. It's not a complex idea to understand.

You give people the tools and they will find a way.

Just look at the UDK to see that modding isn't dead. :rolleyes:

Although I predict a general shift from highly professional mods to highly professional indie titles, modding itself isn't anywhere near declining. The quality and professionalism is actually increasing while at the same time the amount of mods released decrease.

Last edited:
Upvote 0