• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

High latency issues

Serventis

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 16, 2011
First off I would like to say this is a great game! loving it so far BUT for some reason i have a higher than average ping up around 200-250 when i usually only get 90-120 and yes i am using wireless my signal strength is excellent and i very rarely run into any packet loss problems, Some people have said its coz my net is **** but thats not the case because like i said on BFBC2 i only have 90-100 ping and on Killing floor around 100-120 i would like to know if there is a Fix i can do on my end or if it is currently been looked into by the devs.

Any help would be much appreciated as atm i cant even play for 10 minutes without been kicked for speed hacking.... im guessing its coz im warping lol

I am not copletely 100% sure, but it seems to be to be purely a display problem. Playing today on our server and the ping was 20 ish. then people started to join and the more people in the lower the ping.

Ping surely isnt a function on player numbers - unless there is some sort of bandwidth throttle in game, it must be a mis-calculation of ping

Upvote 0
The ping is really a big problem, for me it is 3x higher then in every other game. I hope they work on it, because I read such stupid comments, that it is the fault of the server admins etc.

The gamebrowser often seems to display the pings wrong. The ping isnt as high as displayed, but still not good as said obove
Best Ping for me was 90 on the best server. In every other game my ping is between 30-40

Upvote 0
Server Performance:

Windows 2008 R2 Only

- This is a big one. In the power settings there are two options "Balanced" and "High Performance". I believe 2008 defaults to "Balanced", but the server will run poorly like this. You must set this to "High Performance". A server admin reported changing this decreased his CPU usage 50% on one core (the main game core). In other words, his server was performing terrible before, and setting this gave him great performance.
- Windows Firewall: We've seen on some machines that for some reason Windows Firewall will throttle the bandwidth (and sometimes even stop the net traffic for a few seconds). If you experiencing strange times where the server stops sending network traffic altogether for a few seconds, this is probably the culprit. Try turning it off, and see if the problem goes away. It did on our servers. Other server admins have reported they never saw this issue.

Processor Affinity

- I don't know how many server admins I've seen complaining about server performance, and one of the first things they mention is "well I didn't set the affinity". Unless you are running virtualization (which I don't suggest) and the virtualization or some other software that is setting the affinity for you, you MUST set the affinity to get the best performance out of the game. The game thread needs exclusive access to a single core. Otherwise the OS will have it thrashing between cores which will cause the CPU load to go up, as well as pings and lag. I'm really serious on this one, it is a huge benefit to the way the server runs when it is near or at peak load.
- Don't set the affinity for more than one server to the same core: this one should go without saying, but if you do set your affinity, don't set multiple 64 player servers to the same core :) Havoc ensues. Give each server process it's own exclusive core for the game thread.
- Give the server its own physical core. If a server has hyperthreading on, then you should use all even or all odd cores for your affinity. You want to do 0,2,4,6 or 1,3,5,7, as that will be separate physical cores. If you do 0 and 1 with hyperthreading on, that will be the same physical core and will overload the CPU

Here is the commandline switch:

-PREFERPROCESSOR=x (where x=0,1,2, ...)

So for example:
-PREFERPROCESSOR=0
Would set the game thread's affinity to the first core.

Virtualization

- Most poeple have not had good results with virtualization and the RO2 game server. I would suggest at this point to avoid running with virtualization. I have had reports of servers that would peak thier CPU at 20 players when using virtualization, when the same machine would run 64 player easily without virtualization. With that said, I have also heard some server hosts/admins have had good results with virtualization, and I would be very interested to hear what software and configuration you are using.

Running Over Recommended Specs

- Please try and keep reasonably close to the Recommended Specs. We've seen a lot of poeple pushing thier machines WAY past the recommended specs. Doing so will only result in a laggy experience for your players, who will in turn leave your server, or our game. And more often than not, they will blame Tripwire and not the server admin. Here are the recommended specs we determined during the beta. Note: we actually got some decent optimization between beta and retail which gained us 10-15% better performance over the beta on the server. Still, I wouldn't suggest going TOO far over these:

32 Players: CPU usage - 1 Core of a 2.6 GHZ Core I7 or equivalent (i.e. the server process will take most of 1 core, with a few smaller threads on other cores). We also tested on an Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz and that could handle 32 players but I wouldn't try and do 32 players with a machine much slower than that.

64 Players: Goal CPU usage - 1 Core of a Intel Xeon E3-1270 3.4 GHZ (3.8 GHZ actually with Turbo enabled) or equivalent (i.e. the server process will take most of 1 core, with a few smaller threads on other cores).

Strange Lag/Ping Anomalies

- There have been reports of strange ping/lag anomalies not related to CPU usage (i.e. servers running fine, then pings climb really high for everyone for an extended period of time, then go back to normal). I've finally been able to reproduce this on our test servers (by reproduce I mean see it happen first hand). It is very rare on my test servers (in 5 days of the servers running 64 players 24/7 this is the first time I've seen it). I'm probably going to need to build in some logging into the next update to give me more data on why/when this is happening so that I can track down the cause. I'll be looking for volunteers to turn on this logging and give me thier data. I've got some ideas what it might be, but I need to know for sure.

They did post about that issues quite a few times, but it gets lost in the shuffle of posts. I couldn't find all replies to that topic but summarized they believe that it's mostly due to wrong server settings (maxplayers in relation to the hardware power and the affinity setting)and there is not much to do about it other than telling the admins to recheck their servers.

Upvote 0
Apparently they dont even want to comment on perhaps the biggest issue with this game.

Aye. This issue with ping is huge considering they decided not to use lag compensation. When you are hopping into servers that display having 50 ping only to press tab and see everyone in at least triple digits it gets frustrating. No one likes having to lead their shots a mile or have these amazing ragdolls go limp a second after you hit the guy.

Upvote 0
Yea I got this to, I am sitting on 100/10 (wired) and never have problems when playing online with any other game. But here, pings on server list 40-60 some higher but ignore those... in game 220. Makes the game WAY harder to play.

I for one will more than gladly help them with logging if they need it to fix this >_< I aint paying for high speed internet to have it this way lol

Upvote 0
Same problem here with 100/10 too. I've noticed that the ping jumps around 40 to 200 when I refresh my favorite server list. (All servers located in my country..)
Also, I recently played on a server with 40 ping when joining. The server was fairly empty, but as more and more people came in, I got higher and higher ping.
I got ping spikes ~150 ping and stayed at around 90 the rest of the time. Sprinting ingame = teleporting into walls with head first, bouncing around like a pinball.
And just as Sultan, this is the only game I've had a problem with ping.
I did not have this problem a couple of patches back, and certainly not in the beta. I kinda miss the beta, never a crash, never a problem. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone else having the following?

You join a server that has ping between 30-70. You get there and notice ALL people have pings ranging from 120-300+ and the lag is murdering. This is not just me because my clan-mates have also lagged and see high pings on everybody when we are in the same server.
Though, when server changes maps, the pings drop to normal levels like they should be (30-70). But after a few minutes the lag of doom comes back.

This started after the 17th patch. Haven't played any today nor am I aware of any new patches.

Upvote 0