• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Heroes and Generals (WW2 MMO FPS/RTS)

The AI is too incompetent in ArmA 2 to say that it offers a realistic portrayal of combat. There's also no sense of immersion due to the lack of good effects, suppression, and being concussed as a few examples.

It was vastly improved in the last few patches, though it still can be dumb. When it works you can have entire convoys drop off hundreds

For scale how about Darkest Hour?

It has a nice size scale, but it is still just a respawn based action shooter with realistic weapon modelling and whatnot. This is why I refer to RO as a realistic shooter, or light tactical shooter. But it certainly isn't a simulation. At best, it is a light simulator.

Steel Beast Pro PE is certainly a true simulation, even when played PvP. So the notion that a military game can't be sim online is not true.

I never said a game must be offline to count as a simulation. Someone claimed a simulation = playing PvP, which is simply not true. I don't play Steel Beast Pro, but if you are doing 1v1 PvP then a large aspect of the simulation is gone. AI infantry and AI vehicles that can not be controlled are large portions of that sim/game. Same can be said for DCS A-10. While the plane is modeled nicely, it would not be a simulation if all you could do was fight other human players in other A-10s. ;) You need AI units (tanks, infantry, SAMs ect.) to make it a simulation.

This is my last post on this topic as the thread has been derailed.

btw, new build is out, and within the next month they are going to try and give everyone alpha access.

I might download it just to see how the overall gameplay is, though I don't want to be an Alpha tester. :p So far I don't have much if any interest with Carrier Command around the corner (most likely with mod support) and with BF3 out, but if this game doesn't feature a tiny map count (BF3) and paid DLC then I might be interested in getting it for a BF3 supplement and eventual replacement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was vastly improved in the last few patches, though it still can be dumb. When it works you can have entire convoys drop off hundreds

It has a nice size scale, but it is still just a respawn based action shooter with realistic weapon modelling and whatnot. This is why I refer to RO as a realistic shooter, or light tactical shooter. But it certainly isn't a simulation. At best, it is a light simulator.

I never said a game must be offline to count as a simulation. Someone claimed a simulation = playing PvP, which is simply not true. I don't play Steel Beast Pro, but if you are doing 1v1 PvP then a large aspect of the simulation is gone. AI infantry and AI vehicles that can not be controlled are large portions of that sim/game. Same can be said for DCS A-10. While the plane is modeled nicely, it would not be a simulation if all you could do was fight other human players in other A-10s. ;) You need AI units (tanks, infantry, SAMs ect.) to make it a simulation.

This is my last post on this topic as the thread has been derailed.

I might download it just to see how the overall gameplay is, though I don't want to be an Alpha tester. :p So far I don't have much if any interest with Carrier Command around the corner (most likely with mod support) and with BF3 out, but if this game doesn't feature a tiny map count (BF3) and paid DLC then I might be interested in getting it for a BF3 supplement and eventual replacement.

You don't need AI units for SB Pro PE multiplayer, I don't see why you need AI for that to be considered a sim. The game accomodates for enough humans to play on both sides and in different roles. Overall, specifically with FPS, there's no such thing as a combat simulation.. It's something that simply cannot and really should not be replicated on a game.. What you can simulate however, is infantry tactics. The tactics and strategy that in large part govern combat.

When the AI is not capable of acting as a human would, then the tactics I'm employing really won't account for much in a simulation sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You don't need AI units for SB Pro PE multiplayer, I don't see why you need AI for that to be considered a sim.

You misread, again.

When the AI is not capable of acting as a human would, then the tactics I'm employing really won't account for much in a simulation sense.

AI very often tends to behave more realistically than human players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was just a buggy mess. Lots of video lag combined with horrible pings on all the servers. Players were warping around so bad, I couldn't tell what was going on. It left a bad first impression on me, probably won't follow it anymore. Plus, I didn't realize it's just a web browser game... move along, nothing to see here.

Upvote 0