• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam accounts getting hacked

Yeah this has been happening forever, nothing new and someone posting a suspicious site to you is not steams fault and has nothing to do with steam. Its like being in a purse store and while your in the store someone walks in and trys to sell you the same purse the store your in is selling and you fall for it and it turns out to be a fake bad quality knockoff. It's not the stores fault that you fell for a scam and has nothing to do with the store.

Upvote 0
Thanks to the OP for refreshing my memory when it comes to vigilance.

I am pretty careful when it comes to scams and BS email's but every so often you cannot help but to let you guard down.

The OP was also pointing out Steams shortcomings, not one persons common sense. I have a lot of games on my account and they all live or die on one fundamental component; Steam.

As much as I love Steam, I have had two reset password requests sent to my email in the past month and judging by Steams customer support track record this does make me somewhat anxious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like I said, everything hangs on Steam. If it fails you loose the lot.

I use a complex password and touch wood never had any trouble, however I have a friend who had is account hacked and while Valve sorted it out, half his games ended up VAC banned and Valve did nothing to correct this.

As you can imagine he is not the biggest fan of Steam.

When I consider the amount of money I have spent on Steam, coupled with Valves flaky support, it brings to light that apart for the convenience; Steam could be a lot more problematic than owning individual boxed copies of the games.

I guess these are the pitfalls of any digital distribution service. Just keep your passwords complex and stay vigilant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0