• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What I think...tolerance

Wodin

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
Liverpool UK
I was just replying to a post when something occurred to me.

I think the reason so many new players are praising the game, and it mainly being old RO players who have compliants, is because the gameplay that is WOWing the new BF and CoD players is new to them. However to the old RO players it isn't, the same gameplay that the new players are raving about was allready there in RO. It isn't new to us, it doesn't have that bright new shiney thing quality about it, back when RO came out we to were raving about the way it plays and I have mentioned on countless forums over many years how great RO is over other online shooters.

In a few years the very same new players who are fed up with the older RO players moaning, will be wanting exactly the same things as the old players wanted in this release.

This is why I think there is such a divide...most of the time when I see someone raving about it they are a new player. I can't blame you either...it is still different to BF and CoD and if I was new to the series I too wouldn't know why all the RO players seemed to have such a downer on it as I would think it was (ignoring bugs) fanatstic.

So I think some tolerance is needed. The new players should respect the older RO players and remember what you finding superb they have already been playing a game that has it for years, and in a few years you'll be wanting the exact same things if they aren't in it allready by then. The old RO players should understand that this game is new to them. It's still a different experience to BF and CoD and though it isn't as different as RO they are still going to be taken back by it and love it, as much as we loved RO.

People always moan when you give them version 2.0 of something and it's not identical to what you had before.

We're all new users of RO2 despite what you may have played in the past.

You may be expecting things to work the way they did before but it will all be different and tweaked. And there was lots to not like about ROost also.

I got a new mouse the other day, felt very strange for a while, thought I was going to go back to my old one. Stuck with it, now I love it.

Reactions: Makino
Upvote 0
Hello! I am a former player of RO (November2005 Mod 3.3 - June 2006 RO1)
The mod has Osfront there was a change in the way of playing even Osfront to RO2
For former players he planned to set to set the server closest to RO1 and other mods (which I do not mind I played a COD5 S & D I like and played like Vietnam and BFBC2 not the base rap - squad number snipers + Artillery I stopped playing. This will be to each server and choose the type of game which increases the number of new players on the servers get there also rules on the Home server or scrolling text and Admins can ask to respect the rules is what am currently on my team servers and waits for the server version of Linux have one.

PS: sorry for traduction is not good

Upvote 0
Or you can put it this way as a rule of thumb: the younger the user is, the more likely he will blindly praise a product because of his small amount of knowledge and experience of gaming/history of different branches of gamegenres.

The older and more experienced the user is (veterans), the more subtle and well pronounced he will be in his posts and the less he will fully nor blindly praise a game because he will know through experience that there is no such thing like a 100% perfect game.

In fact, I never take people seriously that blindly praise a game. There are many of these people creating senseless topics on this forum adding 0,0% of value to the whole except: ''oh TWI, oh HOS, you are so awesome!''.
That, is called brownnosing in English and is something to despise. It is also a form of negative feedback towards the developer in the end.

Upvote 0
I'm going by join dates...it's usually someone who joined recently who praises and someone who played RO who moans...I'm not saying this is always the case...but it seems to be the majority of the time.

Not exactly a perfect system. I have been playing RO since 2006 and mostly joined this forum in order to report bugs for the beta (and then have been hanging around generally).

Upvote 0
As a ROOST player (not a hardcore vet, but I played it several years on and off), I did actually WOW at alot of the stuff. Sure, many of the features were already in RO but they were either made better or had whole new unique stuff in addition.

I don't believe in implementing stuff just to make people WOW! I find the stuff RO has are mostly convenient and useful while still being pretty much unique to the whole FPS genre (well, for some of the features). A game that is based on just some gimmicky features will rarely make it, I feel in RO the gimmick is the game itself and it's just completed by all the frigging amazing features it has.

Overall, I think RO2 is pure gold when they just iron out the bugs and perhaps add certain stuff and tweak others. If it was for any other developer, I wouldn't expect those changes to happen, but TWI isn't really like most developers out there. Not to mention the mod community that will make anything whether or not TWI implemented it :D

I see a game that will pay itself back for me soooooooo many times in the upcoming years. Hell, I've already played it enough during the beta to pay itself back to me as a 30€ game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whenever you take something old and popular and change the formula you're bound to have no small amount of nerd rage.

I tried to play ROOST back in the day, but the learning curve beat me with a mallet. It was obtuse and inaccessible for newcomers. Ergo, I greatly appreciate the new streamlining and speed of the gameplay. It's something challenging and different in a world of clones, so yeah, I am pretty impressed.

I can understand why the vets would be upset too. A lot of the things they loved about the first didn't make the cut into the second. There is more reliance on speed and lethality now. A lot of the artificial difficulty has been cut out (weapon sway, bullet spread, slow movement speed, etc.) and a lot of popular features have been cut in favor of newer, more updated things like skill progression and whatnot. Again, I totally understand why they're grumbling about the game.

But there are several major factors to consider in this equation:

1) Mods. TWI has ALWAYS had a huge mod community, and RO2 is no different. Everthing that the vets are upset about WILL be fixed by the community in a month or two.

2) Growing pains. This is TWI's first real venture into AAA titles. They're stepping up and trying to play with the big boys now, and to do that they have to cut out a significant market share. They can't do that with something as obtuse and challenging as ROOST, so they have increased the accessibility. One of the big things I've been harping on is that accessibility != ease. RO2 is a very challenging game without having to wrestle the bear-like interface of RO1.

3) Practice! The game is brand new, and it plays very differently than ROOST or other games on the market. Nobody really knows what to make of it yet. A lot of strategy threads are cropping up on the forums, and rightly so. A lot of the traditional FPS/ROOST strategies are out the window with the new model. Once the game starts to mature, I think ROOST vets and newcomers alike will find a lot to enjoy with RO2.

Long story short, give the game time. Once the community matures and the mechanics start to sink in, I can easily see this becoming more than ROOST ever was.

Upvote 0
I'm new to RO2 and haven't come from BF or COD. I'm 52 years old now so the reactions and eyesight aren't what they used to be :( :). Wait til you get there guys...old age sucks hard I can tell you that! :D

I think one of the things that appealed to me was that the 'twitch' might not be such an important factor in becoming a 'good' player in RO2. I usually choose to be a rifleman but have found that I can still hold my own when helping my comrades to clear out a building. Having watched some vids of BF and COD I tend to think that I wouldn't last long in that sort of game/environment. I'm also not a great fan of modern warfare, there just doesn't seem to be the same atmosphere that a WW2 scenario can provide. I've also seen some vids of RO1 and wondered why I never gave it a shot as the gameplay looks epic and it does seem to have a passionate and dare I say mostly a 'more mature' user base

It's early days for RO2 and many forget still at a beta stage. Despite this I've had a blast during the few hours I've played so I'm in for the long haul. I hope I can get to a standard where I'll be able to join a clan geared more towards those of us that will be before long hurtling across the battlefield in a wheelchair (MG42 mounted of course) or using a zimmer frame for melee purposes :D.

Looking forward to release day very much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0