• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 in Pelit-magazine - RO2=COD???

I'm really rather skeptic about this new system, at least until it's explained in more detail as it all reeks horribly of CoD 4 to me, to be honest...

What I think is really funny is that everyone hears Hero system and player progression and all of the sudden every thinks "OMG COD". When in reality, COD has nothing remotely resembling the Hero system that will be in ROHOS, and even the player progression isn't even close. As WilsonAM said in another thread, have some faith people. TWI didn't get bought out by some big publisher for petes sake.

Picture it like this, lets say there was some weapon that was really rare in a battle, but you didn't want to hand that weapon out to every soldier on the battlefield. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a system where just a few (but not all) soldiers could use those really cool rare weapons from time to time? That is sure as heck more realistic than just having a whole bunch of them in the game.

I'm not going to go into detailing what exactly the Hero system is or how the player progression works. We've got to save some things for later, otherwise we've got no info to pass out as we go along in development (its called PR and working the press). Lets just say ROHOS is still a tactical shooter.

With that said I have no doubt that some of the features of ROHOS will have some of the "purest" whining that we've sold out. But frankly those are the same type of people that said we sold out when we added an overhead map back in the mod days ("Oh no they added an overhead map to RO, the game is ruined").

Upvote 0
What I think is really funny is that everyone hears Hero system and player progression and all of the sudden every thinks "OMG COD". When in reality, COD has nothing remotely resembling the Hero system that will be in ROHOS, and even the player progression isn't even close. As WilsonAM said in another thread, have some faith people. TWI didn't get bought out by some big publisher for petes sake.

Picture it like this, lets say there was some weapon that was really rare in a battle, but you didn't want to hand that weapon out to every soldier on the battlefield. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a system where just a few (but not all) soldiers could use those really cool rare weapons from time to time? That is sure as heck more realistic than just having a whole bunch of them in the game.

I'm not going to go into detailing what exactly the Hero system is or how the player progression works. We've got to save some things for later, otherwise we've got no info to pass out as we go along in development (its called PR and working the press). Lets just say ROHOS is still a tactical shooter.

With that said I have no doubt that some of the features of ROHOS will have some of the "purest" whining that we've sold out. But frankly those are the same type of people that said we sold out when we added an overhead map back in the mod days ("Oh no they added an overhead map to RO, the game is ruined").

It's not that I don't have faith in you guys - after all, you made my favorite WW2 shooter :) It's just that I've seen many games take a turn for the worse by trying to do everything imaginable and make everyone happy instead of focusing on their forte and improving it.

I hope that all of my (and the community's) doubts will be proven false once more in-depth info is available on this and other new game mechanics.

Upvote 0
It's not that I don't have faith in you guys - after all, you made my favorite WW2 shooter :) It's just that I've seen many games take a turn for the worse by trying to do everything imaginable and make everyone happy instead of focusing on their forte and improving it.
We aren't stupid enough (or arrogant enough... well...) to believe we makae everyone happy. We are just tryingto draw more people to the "dark side" that is realism gaming/tac shooters :)

Upvote 0
Agreed with TWI guyz argueing in lasts posts there.

I feel like the most part of us is flaming/whining about some new aspects of the game (especially the Classes and Hero stuff). FFS stop it :) and bring back ur brain, have faith in TWI ppl and their work. That guyz who made our beloved RO won't ruin the game by turning it into some crappy COD like as u all (not all eh) are calling it.

RO:HOS will bring a new fresh air to the whole RO community.
We ppl will breath again ! :rolleyes: and stop this blablablathingycrappybull**** ROHOS is dead wtf :x

Upvote 0
But frankly those are the same type of people that said we sold out when we added an overhead map back in the mod days ("Oh no they added an overhead map to RO, the game is ruined").

To be honest, that day, I died a little. As I did when it was dropped to need more than one person to cap. As I did when we got the "Achtung, Shambeh-Bambeh" magical scrolls were introduced. As I did when the magical "attention, something is being capped" notifications appeard.

Honestly, gameplaywise, both public and in clan play, it was just so much more awesome to actually need somebody in a zone to see if it was being capped. By ommiting that, it killed off using surprise and sneakyness as valuable tactics.
But that's beside the point.

Concerning the Hero status. Will that be persistent, or does it have to be achieved per ro lund? I dearly hope for the latter, as the firts would cause the same problem it tries to prevent, it just postpones it to the date when most active players will have achieved that status.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest, that day, I died a little. As I did when it was dropped to need more than one person to cap. As I did when we got the "Achtung, Shambeh-Bambeh" magical scrolls were introduced. As I did when the magical "attention, something is being capped" notifications appeard.

Don't forget the non-native role names. I'm not trying to bash here but i said back then it was a slippery slope adding all that fluff and now we've moved up to potentially game breaking mainstream elements. This is mainly why I'm cynical. Those changes, while seeming minor, rip the immersion from out under you and place you in just another war game. We're all looking for a fully realized RO not a realism gateway game.

Upvote 0
That was optional and I have mine set to native role names. Not to mention it has no bearing what-so-ever on gameplay.

This is exactly the type of thing we're doing in ROHOS. We're adding things that don't directly impact the core gameplay of realistic weapon handling and combat, that many people might consider "unrealistic" but make the game much easier to get into. Sorry if it makes the "purests" mad, but frankly we're adding a lot of stuff like this in ROHOS and you'll just have to judge for yourselves when it is released. If things like overhead maps, and actually being able to read the names of the roles are game breakers for you, I suggest you delete your forum account now and go on you're merry way ;)

On top of extra interface stuff to make the game easier to understand, and make gameplay better, we're adding a lot of features to make the game MORE realistic. Things already mentioned like breathing, bullet penetration, sight adjustment, etc all make the game a lot more realistic and fun. But hey, lets just all rant because all the "cool" kids are doing it, and its apparently more fun than being optimistic :)

Upvote 0
This is exactly the type of thing we're doing in ROHOS. We're adding things that don't directly impact the core gameplay of realistic weapon handling and combat, that many people might consider "unrealistic" but make the game much easier to get into. Sorry if it makes the "purests" mad, but frankly we're adding a lot of stuff like this in ROHOS and you'll just have to judge for yourselves when it is released. If things like overhead maps, and actually being able to read the names of the roles are game breakers for you, I suggest you delete your forum account now and go on you're merry way ;)

On top of extra interface stuff to make the game easier to understand, and make gameplay better, we're adding a lot of features to make the game MORE realistic. Things already mentioned like breathing, bullet penetration, sight adjustment, etc all make the game a lot more realistic and fun. But hey, lets just all rant because all the "cool" kids are doing it, and its apparently more fun than being optimistic :)

As long as the changes make the game not so different(read: retard it permanently) and "alienate" the current fan-base, I think everything sounds good right now.

Other than that saying "go delete your account" to people who supported RO for many years and helped creating communites for it is a tad too far in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0