• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Map size

Thanks

Thanks

Okay, sounds good. This thing is really starting to look cool, but man its a lot of work. Think I have another month of work just to get the scenes, then 2 weeks of volumns, 2 more of zones, then 2 more of optimizing. Guess I need to keep the Maya use to a minimum, I don't have time to learn it.

So when should I release my first beta? what's the right stopping point? Also, Can I make changes to my map indefinitely? How do I ensure everyone is using the most recent version?

Upvote 0
How would you do that ? How does it work ?

when you import sounds, meshes, textures, etc; it will ask you where you want to import it to:
"mylevel" is the map itself, so anything new you add will be directly within the map itself
you can specify your own package name if you want to make an external sound/texture/staticmesh package that will have to be included with the map when ppl want to play it.

Upvote 0
Oh ok I know what you mean now, as long as it doesn't bother those that host servers to play on I'm all for best performance possible. Though when should someone consider doing an external package ? Is there a particular limit of space to not exceed for each group ie texture/sound/SM etc or we judge from the map size itself ?

Nonetheless in my case it's not a matter of choice, I'm over 100 000 and will probably stop around 150 000 LoL, packages is out of doubts what I need. Thanks for answering

Upvote 0
there hasn't been any actual test it's mainly an observation. i've notice that some level what have large amounts of mylevel stuff load slowly versus levels that have little amound of mylevel stuff and mainly rely on external packages..

ex. wyre would prob be around 120 megs of resources but sense it's all held in external packages it loads as fast as any other level that uses external packes.

however with say kf-roadtoperdition which is only about 50-80 megs takes a long time to load and all it's resources are in the mylevel packages. at least last time i checked fel and s281 might have moved it all to external packages after i observed this after 3-5 months ago

so yea there is no Hard Evidence but there is some observations that seem to support my theory. however i could conduct a test some time in the next week... maybe aim for 90 meg level most of it being textures. very basic 8 room level each of the surfaces having a unique 2048x2048 dds(DXT1) texture used in the mylevel package. then have a seperate level useing the same resources and geometry but has it's resources in a seperate package..... i believe that would be an good test maybe?

edit: i also have another thoery about level load but my confidence with this theory is i'd say 20% so im more confident that im wrong but i never tested it so i can't say for sure.. anyways scripted triggers or triggers ingeneral, handing a lot of them will slow load time.... now you see why my confidence in this theory is lacking, what actors lagging load time? but again im not talking 50 or so triggers/scripted triggers im talking 100's maybe a 1000 scripted triggers/triggers .. i figure i'll test this theory while im at it... i think this theory will fly out the window lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lol speaking of map sizes lol kinda off topic but, there is a limit on how far down you can go.

Once you get past the red line it auto kills you. Found this out on Obsidian :D

On the note of packets. I have a rule, if the map is going to be over 70mgs then start making packets. However Damntion was 98mgs all in MyLevel so that one was an exception :rolleyes:

Upvote 0