• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation [WIP] AKS-74 model

thefirewarriors

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Hallo there. Here's an AKS-74 I want to put into KF. It goes well with my personal skin for Constable Briar (Specnaz FTW!)

aks_74_wip_by_thefirewarriors-d35bytr.png

I only started modelling some time ago, so I'll take any criticism and feedback you throw at me.

It's pretty simple, and I tried to keep the polycount down wherever possible. I guess normal maps and the like could take care of the rest? Currently working on unwrapping and getting the UVs done right.

I'll also need help getting my model into KF when I finish. I use Maya to make my models, but all the tuts I've seen require 3dsmax (which I do not have.) If some kind soul would... kindly oblige?

Much thanks. ^^

I guess normal maps and the like could take care of the rest?

Not in KF. Normal and Bump mapping isnt supported. All I see you used the normal map for was adding in the 3 insets on each side which you could quickly texture in.

As for the model, its a little blocky for my taste, you need to apply smoothing in some parts but you also have some smoothing errors possibly from improper edging or hard edges sharing 1 smoothing group.

Edit : While im thinking of it, you can still put that normal map to use though, in PS grab the blue channel of the normal map and blur it, thatll give you shadow, then use either xNormal or nDo and generate a cavity map, thatll give you your edge lighting. This is a good trick to use in KF or even a newer engine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Roge-o. I softened most of the edges and got rid of some unnecessary parts.

No normal maps? Dang. Oh well...

I'll try it out tonight and maybe tomorrow I can get some new shots up.

UPDATE;

ak_74_texture_sample_by_thefirewarriors-d372gzf.png

Testing out the UV mapping with some low-res textures. Has bump-maps but they are f-ing ugly. I'm not a texture artist. :(

Definitely not final.

BTW, is there anything else about the KF models I should know about? Polycount limit? Bump maps? Anything?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So all the details have to be modelled directly on the mesh? Damn, if that's the case I might have to remodel most of the parts.

Not necessarily, any of the fine details that you would probably normal map can be painted in on the texture and be pretty effective. Not quite as good as normal mapping obviously but passable.

The normal map trick I mentioned above is a quick, effective and accurate way of doing this if your not very good at using Photoshop or Gimp (anyone know if gimp supports nDo, xNormal or Nvidias plugins?). I prefer using that method in a lot of occasions as using a bevel or similar painted with a 90 degree shadow or light will look good but only at one angle, using this trick it may be a little more accurate viewing from all angles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BTW, is there anything else about the KF models I should know about? Polycount limit? Bump maps? Anything?

Nice model

Here are a few tips:

Keep the poly count as low as you can before losing any detail, although the editor can handle high poly's, when you are in some maps and face an area that has low FPS then you will have lower FPS, plus you may experience things like muzzle flash not showing.

If you have ZBrush, you can 'BAKE' the normal maps into the texture, which gives the detail of a higher poly model.

Delete any faces of the mesh that will never be visible, it is pointless getting the engine to render areas that you are never going to see, which will then allow you to buff up the poly's on the visible parts. ( look in the anim browser to see how the devs have done it)

Upvote 0
If you have ZBrush, you can 'BAKE' the normal maps into the texture, which gives the detail of a higher poly model.

ZBrush is a sculpting program, good for adding in heavy details on organic objects or things like rock, stone, wood etc. Loading up a hard surface object in zbrush just doesnt make alot of sense to me. Hard surface objects would be quicker and easier to keep in Max or Maya. Then again seeing how this model is being made for use in KF, normal and bump maps shouldnt be a topic.

You could build a highpoly version of the model and bake out an Ambient Occlusion and a Lighting map but this wouldnt help the actual model model much but would be good for adding in screws, bolts, insets etc but again this could be done much faster in Photoshop.

Upvote 0