• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Summer Sideshow Event: Impressed or Disappointed?

Summer Sideshow Event: Impressed or Disappointed?

• Awesome! I'm really impressed and can't wait!!!

Votes: 157 68.9%
  • Disappointed! Another re-skin. So what?

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Not too bothered! Bring on the clowns!

Votes: 43 18.9%

• Total voters
why is it that when people express just the slightest bit of dissatisfaction, all the kiss-asses have to jump all over those who say exactly what most people think, but are too afraid to say it? :rolleyes:

i love TW and appreciate all the work they put into their games. do i think this event looks fun? sure. it'll probably be as fun as the Christmas event was and will get me back into playing the game for a week or two.....at least it's more attractive than the "Portal", as that really didn't give me much of the "KF bug" to play more. i'm happy TW still puts work into KF after 2 years, especially while working so hard on finishing up the LONG awaited franchise sequel with RO2. but that doesn't mean that some people aren't making valid points in regards to not being satisfied with the update.

PS to CandleJack: I feel your pain. July is the time I have for maintenance
on my house, so I will get a serious lack of sleep by the end of the month.
while Ramm is right in saying it's not "just a re-skin", the fact remains that this is mainly just a special event intended to bring attention to the game (i.e. more sales and undoubtedly more exposure for RO2), while giving current game owners something special to enjoy.....and rightfully so, it will be successful in those regards. however in the long run, this update (like the Christmas and Portal ones) will have no real impact as once the event is over, there was nothing added to the game to increase the average daily player numbers.....it's a sad reality.

is the update cool? yup.
is it what most every player was hoping for (i.e. new gametype, new zeds, weapons, gameplay mechanics, balance etc....)? no.
is it what most everyone expected (new map, "re-skin" zeds, achievements, character etc...)? at least for me personally, yes.
will it still be special and fun? DEFINITELY.

Oh sh*t, you are actually making sense.

But the thing is, that while we are not getting a ferrari parked outside our garage with the keys left in, they still gave us a free, very nice paintjob on our trusty old van that still delivers the goods. Yes, they are doing so to increase awareness for KF and TWI to get more sales for RO2, and yes, they are doing so with whatever staff they could spare. TWI might have created a hype about this, and the Christmas Balance update set the bar very, very high. But as you say, this is what we could realistically expect. And complaining when you get what you can expect instead of what you dreamt of is actually a sign of childish behavior.

This is specifically not to be taken against you. Your main argument seems to be that it will not increase the daily playerbase, and at that point you are right. However, there is still plenty of activity to keep the game going, and at each new event a few players stay to replenish our dwindeling numbers. In the end KF will go the way of DooM2, loved, never forgotten, but never actually played anymore, and while updates prolong the game, it will not hinder that. And I'd rather that TWI starts developing KF2 when coders get off RO2, instead of using major ressources at a game that fulfills its premise almost to perfection.

Sure, a load of guns would be fun, but remember the M14 and the month you and other players had to spend balancing it, way overdue? Specimination and Vehicles are fun, but I dont think any initiative of that kind will be able to bring in enough new players to justify the spending of ressources on a necessary scale.

Upvote 0
I've been running the premier KF friendly fire server since launch, so that's 2 years and going. Despite only probably jumping on it myself a few times a month. It's things like this release that keeps me running and paying for the server. That's my 2 pence worth (though by the time you read this the pound will have been trashed even more and it will be a 1 pence worth).

Upvote 0
Nevermind these hater, but man. TWI made one favorite thing in my life: STEAMPUNK MR. FOSTER! * YEAH!

A FREE MAP, * YEAH!
NEW SPECIMEN MODELS, * YEAH!
NEW ACHIEVEMENTS, * YEAH!

Thank you, TWI. For everything we have in KF and for letting us not paying for it. *bow*
bcdd810e3414c98bf621fc367144917e.jpg

Upvote 0
Actually, I don't believe that Killing Floors player base is dwindling yet... I've managed to con more and more of my friends into buying it and it's a great game for LAN's, being ni the same room just makes it so much better. Me and my dad like to play this game together (he hates clowns, the only thing you coulda done to freak him out more would've been to make one of the zed models a doll or something :p) and that wan to smack zombies aas a father/son team hasn't really diminished over time :D (I couldn't find a rock-on emoticon... Something needs to be done about that :rolleyes:).

AS for the update, I can't wait to destroy Pukey. He looks like he could use a Hunting Shotty to the face. And perfectly honest, if updates like this came out maybe three times a year (Christmas, Summer and maybe something else), I put money on the fact that players would remain. Of course game changing content would probably be more effective, but as mentioned above, it has a good potential to cause inbalancing issues. I would love new zeds/guns, but am resigned and even happy to go without. I've lived this long without them, I think i can continue living without them. :cool:

And one more thing, thanks for the update. Possibly the only game that I think provides balanced, interesting updates to a slowly aging game... Gotta give a little credit to the Unreal Tournament engine though for being so user and mod friendly... Gotta love Epic and their "Here's our game, you make of it what you will" attitude, it worked incredibly well for them.

And I still play the original Doom series... I'm about to finsih Final Doom on Ultra-Violence... Officially the hardest game I've played of all time, no doubt about it. I've played Doom 1 so many tiems I can complete it on Ultra-Violence without dying... apart from at the end of Knee Deep In The Dead, where you are meant to die :p I wish ID Softwares next installment of Doom reverts back to the old game play, but Doom 3's intense feel and intensity would make for a truly incredible game ;)

Reactions: kablooie!
Upvote 0
It's awsome, i love the Circus theme, some new achives and map. Hope that fiew other maps will be added as "officials" with achivments for them (i mean maps from whitelist right now). Ofcourse i would love new perk(s?) and new levels, but i understand that our grate devs have lots of work on them right now. Hope that after relesing RO2, TRI will come back with another Big Thing, something insanely big, something that will blend our brains out ;d

Upvote 0
Yo guys I was expecting my M16 and claymores, also whreres ma new code for the gamr thsat fixes all everything? Did i mention you shudda added 20 weapons and make them super powerful and pawnage? Ya this sucks im a big complaining troll also where is my 6 new speciemsn and brute I asked for? I'm a prime example of an forum troll/12 year old cowdadooty 1337 player.

Yes, I'm terrible at impersonations. TWI I don't know how much I can't thank you for this, can't wait to play this, it's going to be such a fun experience. I find it really hard to believe that you can keep up with the community and another retail title at the same time and release content for this game for Free.

Free: If you bought a game by activision, you won't be familiar with this word.

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm terrible at impersonations. TWI I don't know how much I can't thank you for this, can't wait to play this, it's going to be such a fun experience. I find it really hard to believe that you can keep up with the community and another retail title at the same time and release content for this game for Free.

It's because Tripwire loves us. We're like bastard retarded children who won't stop clinging to their legs and drooling, so they sigh and try to entertain us because we're kind of endearing in a really annoying way.

Upvote 0
Let's see, Killing Floor was released in 2009. We are now in 2011 and we are still getting free content, right? AFTER TWO YEARS!

So, what game company does that? Pretty every other company (aside from Valve and TWI, of course) leaves their games without support past the first few months of launch.

You want new content? Hey, there is a big modding community, check the modding section in this forum, and see some pretty awesome projects, going from weapons to sp levels and new enemies.

I think there's no room for complaints here, at least not from my part.

Upvote 0
I actually registered just to say that I'm really impressed and CAN'T ****ING WAIT!

That trailer was awesome and will help sell the game.
My personal opinion is that the sideshow models actually look better than the standard ones. Mad props to your artists/modellers.

And that free Mr. Foster? Hell yeah I'll be trying to get it!

Random question: Are you guys really renting the top floor of a church as headquarters? Heard that somewhere on the net before and also saw a google maps screenshot of some church-like building.

Reactions: Dolphin Buff Man
Upvote 0