• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Really cool fracture feature in the UDK

With my very limited imagination I can't find a way that bullets from WW2 would do so much damage on a wall. Any help on that from all the mappers here? Or did I completely miss the point of this feature?

I did find very interesting the destruction on the pylons around 1:15, but I still trying to think of a scenario where someone can easily create holes on a wall/floor without explosives.

Although if the destruction was toned down a lot, it would be awesome to have a wall that a lot of people shoot at start falling down after a while.

Upvote 0
With my very limited imagination I can't find a way that bullets from WW2 would do so much damage on a wall. Any help on that from all the mappers here? Or did I completely miss the point of this feature?

I did find very interesting the destruction on the pylons around 1:15, but I still trying to think of a scenario where someone can easily create holes on a wall/floor without explosives.

Although if the destruction was toned down a lot, it would be awesome to have a wall that a lot of people shoot at start falling down after a while.

Remember that not only bullets were fired in WW2 :)

Upvote 0
In Gears of War 2 only small parts of the map's geometry is destructible like that and it's mroe a visual thing that something that affects gameplay. E.g. you're taking cover behind a concrete pillar, someone shoots at it and you see the concrete break off and steel wires are revealed. That's where it stops and no more comes off the thing no matter how much you shoot at it.
It does wonders for the feeling of weapon-environment interaction but it doesn't turn every level into styrofoam.

The map in the video was built to be almost completely destructible. E.g. when he clears out walls you sometimes see that they end in straight edges. That's because only the part he shot off could be shot off.

It's all a matter of implementation.

Upvote 0
Well obviously RO2 won't have a laser rifle that cuts through rock. Use some imagination please?

I could imagine this being very useful in creating detailed destruction in maps. For instance, there are lots of aspects to this tool. You can create a damage threshold regarding what causes the fracturing. So where as bullets would only pass through or be stopped by a material, a tank shell could punch a hole through it.

Im far from a UDK expert, but I could imagine lots of useful things about this feature.

Upvote 0