• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Melee

I don't think so. Rifle butt strikes don't seem to be deadly in one hit unless you're charging (sprinting) into the swipe, or you hit them in the head. Bayonets, on the other hand, are usually one hit kills unless you accidentally stab them in the thigh or arm. I think it is balanced well at the moment - maybe that'll change once everyone has bayonets (including on semi-autos).

My main problems with melee are:
1) You can run through enemies. Really dumb. I've actually charged at an enemy who is charging me, only to have us both run through each other and stab thin air.

2) The melee key doesn't interrupt reloading animations. Really annoying to have to sprint in a little circle to cancel your reload, THEN hit the melee key to defend yourself.

Reactions: HerrThomas
Upvote 0
My biggest concern is the range of melee - specifically the bayonet which seems like it doesn't reach very far at all I've literally stood 2 feet from a wall and thrusted and nothing seems to happen :|.

Also is it just me or does your gun look tiny when you pull it back to stab? It seems to take up far to small a part of the FOV but it could just be me :confused:.

Anyway yeah we really need to be able to interrupt the reload cycle.

Upvote 0
My biggest concern is the range of melee - specifically the bayonet which seems like it doesn't reach very far at all I've literally stood 2 feet from a wall and thrusted and nothing seems to happen :|.

Also is it just me or does your gun look tiny when you pull it back to stab? It seems to take up far to small a part of the FOV but it could just be me :confused:.

Anyway yeah we really need to be able to interrupt the reload cycle.

Range on the bayonet is actually pretty long, but it has some weird hit detection bug with it. One time, this guy was bayonetting me in the head 5 ~ 6 times in a row, and my vision got all blurry like I was under max suppression (I thought it was max suppression at first) but I did not receive any damage and just turned around to shoot him in his groin :D

Upvote 0
I have survived several bayonet and melee attacks, while also sometimes needing two hits to kill (if I didn't get killed after the first hit).

So it's definately no surefire instakill as it is in CoD.

Additionally, unless you're off against another boltie, or the enemie panics upon seeing your dashing fury, it's actually quite hard to get close enough to land a blow.

Which makes the whole affair quite satisfying, even without taking the freudian implication of inserting a long, hard object inside somebody else into account...

Upvote 0