• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Airplanes!

I'm getting tired of this, heres the point of my argument in an easy to read form. I keep having to repeat myself.

- There is no technological limitations prevented planes for theoretically getting made, and being put to practical use in gameplay
- Planes do not need to have airfields, they can come into the map during scripted events, already in flight
- While (attack) planes are possible, and feasible gameplay-wise, they do not suit RO's style of gameplay, nor would they fit in with the current style of RO map. That does not mean they wouldn't work for an RO mod or custom map.
- It is possible to make maps large enough to support aircraft, the maximum map size for RO translates to over 100 square kilometers, flying from one end to the other at a realistic speed would take 2.5 minutes, provided you wanted to include that much space.

While pilotable planes do not make sense for RO's general gameplay, I think that semi-scripted AI attack aircraft would be nice, such as dynamic bombing raids or an attack plane that will strafe tanks and infantry clusters.

Sounds like you should be playing COD instead

Upvote 0
please-do-not-feed-the-hoboken-trolls.jpg

Reactions: Chadwiick
Upvote 0
The only way I'll see planes work (on this engine) is as AI support you can call in for strafing runs or what not. Although I doubt that's realistic, I can't imagine front forces would have direct radio contact with air assets.

But a team of 32 players would get owned by a single plane, its already enough that you can call in rocket strikes to decimate an entire area, a plane would decimate the whole map.

Upvote 0
I think the main reason they ain't implemented as said before is that it wouldnt be realistic at all, it dosnt fit and its a hell of a lot of work if you want it realistic, besides no one wants U-turns ever half seconds which is what you get even with Arma medium sized maps.. flight and ground combat doesn't go together in games on a realistic level.

No one is preventing modders from doing it so i dont understand why you ***** about TW including them? Someone mentioned that some of the largest RO1 maps are pretty huge, and i'll counter argument that and say, dude they're utterly boring as infantry maps , huge as hell and they're primarily tank maps.. on top of that they're undetailed and extremely ugly.

Upvote 0
isn't the vietnam mod for RO2 having helicopters? They would certainly fit much better than planes.

btw one plane wouldn't decimate the map, at most they would have 3 medium sized bombs about the size of an arty shell. So really they may take out one MAYBE two tanks in a run but that's it. Decimating infantry will NOT happen, strafing infantry is like trying to shoot flees with a BB gun, trust me I've tried on all sorts of video games.

Planes would be an utter waste of time for developers AND players. They would be almost completely useless in RO.

Upvote 0
isn't the vietnam mod for RO2 having helicopters? They would certainly fit much better than planes.

btw one plane wouldn't decimate the map, at most they would have 3 medium sized bombs about the size of an arty shell. So really they may take out one MAYBE two tanks in a run but that's it. Decimating infantry will NOT happen, strafing infantry is like trying to shoot flees with a BB gun, trust me I've tried on all sorts of video games.

Planes would be an utter waste of time for developers AND players. They would be almost completely useless in RO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87

Upvote 0
Holy hotdog people, this forums thread was something that started out as a joke... God, trolls need to learn to troll less, after the joke came out it became an interesting conversation on how they could impliment airplanes, stating that RO would have to be like WW2 Online, if you aren't willing to read the ENTIRE thread then don't comment, that's why you don't see me on the big threads. Because if I don't read it, I lack information on what's going on, so I would look like a baboon at a taco party asking where's the bananas?

Upvote 0

If you've tried all sorts of video games you should know that in Battlefield they tend to dominate , especially with strafing.. (yes bf isnt realistic)

Upvote 0
I think the main reason they ain't implemented as said before is that it wouldnt be realistic at all, it dosnt fit and its a hell of a lot of work if you want it realistic, besides no one wants U-turns ever half seconds which is what you get even with Arma medium sized maps.. flight and ground combat doesn't go together in games on a realistic level.

End of thread.

Unless you want detailed infantry/tank combat and CoD/BF style flight, there is no way to add them.

Sure, you can have a 100 kilometer map in RO. But I strongly doubt it will be very detailed. A near flat map with little to no details will make infantry extremely boring.

If there must be planes, then calling in strafing/dive bombing runs from AI would be ok. And I would actually like to see this done in RO2.

Upvote 0
End of thread.

Unless you want detailed infantry/tank combat and CoD/BF style flight, there is no way to add them.

Sure, you can have a 100 kilometer map in RO. But I strongly doubt it will be very detailed. A near flat map with little to no details will make infantry extremely boring.

If there must be planes, then calling in strafing/dive bombing runs from AI would be ok. And I would actually like to see this done in RO2.
The way you are seeing it as, 1 guy in a fighter with many infantry on the bottom.... It's called gaining air supiority first then attack the infantry unless you see someone manning an AA gun, then you are left to choose, continue trying to fight with other aircraft, take out the AA, or just rage quit.... The way you'd do it is have the two teams fight to clear the skies and claim the throne, so in the end you have a couple of planes left to use for close air support.

Upvote 0
I like where you are going with this ! The thought never crossed my mind to have a true to life battlefield in the future ! I am actually tearing up thinking about 500vs500 infantry men 40 tanks on each side...huge huge maps, we are all assigned positions to protect, we all have 65 inch monitors and the game is in 3D...you could have a full size airport with dive bombers, fighters...Have I been drinking again ?

Upvote 0