• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HC FPS gamer here, a few suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way you are able to convince a few people on your ideas, that worries me. If your ideas go through with the game, it's going to completely ruin RO2's focus and goals. Realism. The first Red Orchestra game is fun and addicting, you're a guy who comes from playing Call of Duty and Call of Duty doesn't take no skills what so ever, the game compared to Red Orchestra is like comparing to different things, yeah the same genre, but the game mechanics is different. FFA should not be featured in a game, we already have a Team Deathmatch mode in the game. Everything that you said about not enjoying teamwork and objectives based gamemodes is completely your fault. The sequal is not going to be a COD clone because of your own personal taste, RO did succeed you just didn't see it. Love it or hate it, RO2 will not have your ideas and suggestions, and like what the VP said. "But we don't take (many) tips from COD-anything on how to do graphics or music. We do all that stuff - and the gameplay - the way it suits OUR game. We just happen to think (as do PC Gamer, now) that our way is better now." It's not going to happen Wahoo4. I know I'm not the devolper but coming from a Red Orchestra player, it ain't happening and I know it won't. Can someone please close this thread. :(

Upvote 0
Hey buddy no need to get upset. :confused: I'm only making suggestions that I think will help everyone. I don't want to see people coming in and ruining the game for people that enjoy squad style of game play. I just think this will help prevent some of those issues. I very much enjoy team base games, trust me I don't want people, on both sides, getting frustrated. I think we all want everyone happy and for the game to do well. I won't push for it out of respect, but I think it's a good thing. :(

The way you are able to convince a few people on your ideas, that worries me. If your ideas go through with the game, it's going to completely ruin RO2's focus and goals. Realism. The first Red Orchestra game is fun and addicting, you're a guy who comes from playing Call of Duty and Call of Duty doesn't take no skills what so ever, the game compared to Red Orchestra is like comparing to different things, yeah the same genre, but the game mechanics is different. FFA should not be featured in a game, we already have a Team Deathmatch mode in the game. Everything that you said about not enjoying teamwork and objectives based gamemodes is completely your fault. The sequal is not going to be a COD clone because of your own personal taste, RO did succeed you just didn't see it. Love it or hate it, RO2 will not have your ideas and suggestions, and like what the VP said. "But we don't take (many) tips from COD-anything on how to do graphics or music. We do all that stuff - and the gameplay - the way it suits OUR game. We just happen to think (as do PC Gamer, now) that our way is better now." It's not going to happen Wahoo4. I know I'm not the devolper but coming from a Red Orchestra player, it ain't happening and I know it won't. Can someone please close this thread. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think someone needs to read the whole thread through and through. It was obvious from your first post to the OP that you did not....;)

No need to kill the thread. There has been some interesting discussion. All has not hinged on the original post and has covered quite a gambit of things. And again, I have to give kudos to wahoo4 for keeping his cool. Some of the messages were just plain out and out personal attacks. He never responded in like kind. If you read the thread through I think you'll see that as a result of actually trying the game (which he should have done before posting the OP ;)) wahoo4 has rethought most of his original post.

RE: Firefight: If its not your cup of tea, don't play it. I know I probably won't , but that doesn't make it a bad decision on TW's part.

RE: Killcam: I draw the line with killcam. I've never liked it in any game I've played. I don't see that it provides any service what-so-ever. There is no need for killcam in any game or gametype imo.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I should have played it first Floyd. lol But I was an expert after watching all the Youtube videos of RO1. ;) :eek:

Now, I did recently ask ten of my gaming friends what they first started playing when they got into FPS. All ten said FFA. lol Now they mostly play team based. It's just an evolution of a gamer. Enough of the FFA thing.

Moving on, will there be shotguns in RO2? Can't say I've seen anything about them. lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I should have played it first Floyd. lol But I was an expert after watching all the Youtube videos of RO1. ;) :eek:

Now, I did recently ask ten of my gaming friends what they first started playing when they got into FPS. All ten said FFA. lol Now they mostly play team based. It's just an evolution of a gamer. Enough of the FFA thing.

Moving on, will there be shotguns in RO2? Can't say I've seen anything about them. lol

If I had a time machine i would go back to ww2 and make sure that atleast one 1897 trench shotgun was lend leased to the USSR and then make sure to also take pictures of said shotgun just to see it in game....

Upvote 0

Should probably play for more than 8 hours. I know I've easily clocked over 500 hours on RO since I got it in 2006.

I enjoyed it the first time I played it but it takes a while before you become competent in combat and can play the game fluidly. Problem with a lot of the people only now buying RO is that they've come from a background of only playing Call of Duty's WW2 titles so having to actually put some effort into shooting and moving comes off as alien.

Also, I wouldn't be expecting shotguns. Not exactly a common sight outside the jungles of the pacific and even there it'd be a rare sight I think.

Upvote 0
Shotguns ;) lol

but yes I agree, COD background does not help much. You would think going from super fast to slow would be easy, but it's actually harder. It's going to take time to get patience again and not rush into everything.

I'm not going to invest a lot of time into RO, because I think RO2 will be faster, but I do enjoy learning it at a nice slow pace.

Should probably play for more than 8 hours. I know I've easily clocked over 500 hours on RO since I got it in 2006.

I enjoyed it the first time I played it but it takes a while before you become competent in combat and can play the game fluidly. Problem with a lot of the people only now buying RO is that they've come from a background of only playing Call of Duty's WW2 titles so having to actually put some effort into shooting and moving comes off as alien.

Also, I wouldn't be expecting shotguns. Not exactly a common sight outside the jungles of the pacific and even there it'd be a rare sight I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Killcams are completely destroying the ability of a player to be sneaky, and being sneaky is 90% of the time the only thing that saves you in RO.
Taking away your ability to sneak because every time somebody sees where you are when you shoot them leads to the following gameplay:
Get killed -> view the guy that killed you -> spawn -> run to where you spotted the guy -> take out grenade -> cheap kill.
Instead what RO should be about is getting killed, not knowing where it comes from, and taking it easy and trying to figure out where the hell the shot came from. And if you find him that way, it's satisfying to kill him in return, and not cheap.
Killcams are spoonfeeding people their targets, they might as well get a huge arrow on top of their heads to point out their location the moment they fire a weapon.

I can appreciate the fact that it might make it easier for new people, but it kills so much of what makes RO the game that it is and you simply have no idea. As you state, you dont invest a lot of time in it, though you have played it.
You have "some" idea of the changes, but you cant fully oversee the impact that it is going to have on the game because you havent invested a lot of time playing it.

Even as an option i dont think it should be in the game, and i'll state why.
When it is there, many of the new comers will want this to 'try out the game'.
Servers exist to attract people, to draw them in and get it filled as much as possible, and they will go after what all these newcomers want.
Chances are high only a few servers will have the full realism mode, because the main body of newcomers will be in the 'newbie servers'. Many of those might never get out of those newbie servers 'because it's so much easier and thus fun there', leaving very little option for the old RO fanbase or any other people interested in a more real gaming experience.
It is HUMAN NATURE to stick to what is easiest, there are only very few people who reach out and try something harder.
In the end, the realistic servers (much as it is now) will die out untill they dont exist anymore, simply because they arent as populated as the server owner would like, and we will all be stuck with all these crappy aids.

I personally see all these newcomers as a threat, i dont want to but i have seen all of my favourite gameseries go down the drain because of trying to attract new players, like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Operation Flashpoint, which all got utterly destroyed in trying to reach the mainstream masses.
RO2 is the last hope i have, and it just hurts to see these suggestions because it is one of the last true tactical shooters left, and i dont want to see that get destroyed as well. But these suggestions all lead to do just that.
I'm not opposed to change, but i am opposed to changes that will cumb the game down. Killcam is doing just that: dumbing the game down.
It takes away the intelligence needed to play, and spoonfeeds the players targets. That is NOT what RO has ever been about, and i am so very, very tired of people trying to bring on these changes.
Please, just accept the game for what it is, and try a new flavour instead of trying to make everything taste like vanilla.
When somebody is making strawberry flavour i dont say 'well please make it 50% vanilla so the people who like vanilla will be left out in the cold' either.

Honestly, if RO2 turns out bad i might stop gaming all together. Over the years it has becoming increasly less fun because everything is so much the same, there is just not reason to play anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It takes usually about a minute to respawn and get back to combat, by that time your killer was usually already killed by another player. Especially if your killer is so dumb as to stay on one spot - he probably got naded within 10 seconds after you were killed.

Only exception I can think of are distant snipers on large maps, who can sometimes camp on one place for some time, because other players can't effectively engage them, even if they know where the sniper is.

Upvote 0
It takes usually about a minute to respawn and get back to combat, by that time your killer was usually already killed by another player. Especially if your killer is so dumb as to stay on one spot - he probably got naded within 10 seconds after you were killed.

Only exception I can think of are distant snipers on large maps, who can sometimes camp on one place for some time, because other players can't effectively engage them, even if they know where the sniper is.

Telling you where you got killed from is completely against what RO is, and what I assume it is trying to be. And pardon me but what sort of sharpshooter sits within grenade range of the enemy?

Whether you know the maps or not, the whole idea of a sharpshooter is to deny you access to the area - if you can't figure out where he's shooting you from (and you aren't forcing him to move by supressing him/returning fire) then he's doing his job right. Sharpshooters only move when they have to...

(This also applies for other classes)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And pardon me but what sort of sharpshooter sits within grenade range of the enemy?

I specifically wrote that snipers are an exception and that they can camp without getting naded (or shot). I suggest you read my post again.

I don't really care if there is optional kill-cam or not, but IMO it wouldn't be so detrimental as some posters say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why reward players for their mistakes? They got shot, so now they get to see where the person is? Whats the point of shooting? I might as well just run out, get shot and now I know exactly where the guy is, can you imagine if these people had voice comms going? As soon as one guy died he would just tell everyone where the enemy is hiding.

Upvote 0
That happens already, as experienced players know the hiding spots and usually know where the enemy who shot them is.

So what you're saying is that there's no need for a killcam? ;)

If you're inexperienced - then you learn - and become experienced. There's no need to have something like a killcam holding your hand, learn by doing.

Upvote 0
Killcam would render both common and uncommon locations completely useless for machineguns and even riflemen. Sure anyone with some common sense can take a guess where the guy was firing at and probably act accordingly, but those rare cases someone concealed himself (or herself, who knows) properly in some location and moved plenty of guys down with a machinegun over the course of few minutes. Without killcam it's possible that due the uncommon, improvised location they can't just pinpoint it exactly where the guy is especially if the visibility is poor to that location, but have a killcam and suddenly everyone would be willing to march 10 miles just to stick bayonet up the MG's arse.

Let's presume we have sneaky PTRD in some decent position to the side of a tank and doesn't fire until it's necessary, then manages to kill few crewmembers off and even possibly 'disable' the tank. Killcam would render it also useless for any future use, while without it it would only remain as "somewhere from X" guesswork, as if the guy really picked up the location well and playing smart it's possible even unbuttoned tank commanders would have trouble locating the guy.

I would draw a clear line between educated guess\common sense or making split second analysis of potential locations where the guy would be hiding and "Y HALO THAR IMMA HERE PLZ COME AND NADE\SHOOT ME WHEN U SPAWN KTHXBYE", since which one is bound to be more accurate: Someone yelling on VOIP\Voicecomm that "MG somewhere near X (no direct visual contact)" or "MG exactly at X, Y, Z, looking towards north bla bla bla [the killcam method]" ?

Upvote 0
And? That is how it should be. The key word you said was "experienced" players. Now we will have EVERYONE knowing all the hiding spots.

No we wont,did TWI announced KC in RO2?

I always liked KC when being enabled in COD on PUB servers,I can see how this feature will be a big NO! iven in RO2 on pub servers,thats why we got you guys the regulars who can draw a better conclusion in whats good and whats not...

Upvote 0
I would be very, very disappointed if TWI added kill cam. But I really doubt they will, I mean, even in relaxed realism, enemies wont show up in your minimap, not even if you have clear sight of them and they are shooting at you. Adding Kill cam would be just ridiculous.

I'm all for helping the new players, but never at the the cost of everyone else's experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is what I'm talking about.
Killcams are completely destroying the ability of a player to be sneaky, and being sneaky is 90% of the time the only thing that saves you in RO.
Taking away your ability to sneak because every time somebody sees where you are when you shoot them leads to the following gameplay:
Get killed -> view the guy that killed you -> spawn -> run to where you spotted the guy -> take out grenade -> cheap kill.
Instead what RO should be about is getting killed, not knowing where it comes from, and taking it easy and trying to figure out where the hell the shot came from. And if you find him that way, it's satisfying to kill him in return, and not cheap.
Killcams are spoonfeeding people their targets, they might as well get a huge arrow on top of their heads to point out their location the moment they fire a weapon.

I can appreciate the fact that it might make it easier for new people, but it kills so much of what makes RO the game that it is and you simply have no idea. As you state, you dont invest a lot of time in it, though you have played it.
You have "some" idea of the changes, but you cant fully oversee the impact that it is going to have on the game because you havent invested a lot of time playing it.

Even as an option i dont think it should be in the game, and i'll state why.
When it is there, many of the new comers will want this to 'try out the game'.
Servers exist to attract people, to draw them in and get it filled as much as possible, and they will go after what all these newcomers want.
Chances are high only a few servers will have the full realism mode, because the main body of newcomers will be in the 'newbie servers'. Many of those might never get out of those newbie servers 'because it's so much easier and thus fun there', leaving very little option for the old RO fanbase or any other people interested in a more real gaming experience.
It is HUMAN NATURE to stick to what is easiest, there are only very few people who reach out and try something harder.
In the end, the realistic servers (much as it is now) will die out untill they dont exist anymore, simply because they arent as populated as the server owner would like, and we will all be stuck with all these crappy aids.

I personally see all these newcomers as a threat, i dont want to but i have seen all of my favourite gameseries go down the drain because of trying to attract new players, like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Operation Flashpoint, which all got utterly destroyed in trying to reach the mainstream masses.
RO2 is the last hope i have, and it just hurts to see these suggestions because it is one of the last true tactical shooters left, and i dont want to see that get destroyed as well. But these suggestions all lead to do just that.
I'm not opposed to change, but i am opposed to changes that will cumb the game down. Killcam is doing just that: dumbing the game down.
It takes away the intelligence needed to play, and spoonfeeds the players targets. That is NOT what RO has ever been about, and i am so very, very tired of people trying to bring on these changes.
Please, just accept the game for what it is, and try a new flavour instead of trying to make everything taste like vanilla.
When somebody is making strawberry flavour i dont say 'well please make it 50% vanilla so the people who like vanilla will be left out in the cold' either.

Honestly, if RO2 turns out bad i might stop gaming all together. Over the years it has becoming increasly less fun because everything is so much the same, there is just not reason to play anymore.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.