• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free game available to me... which one should I get?

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
My dad apparently bought something big from newegg and sent me the "special bonus offer" he got along with it... basically a free game of my choice. These are the choices... which should I go for?:

Assassin's Creed 2
Call of Juarez 2: Bound in Blood
RUSE: The Art of Deception
Far Cry 2 Fortunes Edition
Rainbow Six Vegas 2

RUSE is worth the most money wise, followed by Assassin's creed 2... so I'm leaning towards those... but I didn't play AC1 and have never played RUSE so...ya. Haven't played any of the others either though I hear from reliable sources the new R6 games are terrible and FC2 was bad as well. (I did play half of far cry 1 though)

Also note my computer isn't exactly great lol. That said, I could always get a very demanding game and just wait till I upgrade to play it, which won't be too long from now.

Last edited:
Haven't played R.U.S.E, but I had a great time with AC2. Probably a solid two weeks worth of gaming if you take your time and stop to enjoy the scenery and stuff. I'd watch some videos or something before you make a decision to buy it, having not played AC1, the game may not be your cup of tea.

I'd say Farcry 2 after that. Rainbow Six and Call of Juarez would be competing for last, to me.

Upvote 0
Call of Juarez 2 is nice enough but is too short and one dimensional. There are a couple of free roam moments but they are very small and bland compared to what was on offer in the first game.

Far Cry 2 starts off as an entertaining game but gets old very quickly. Having to repeatedly drive through re-spawning road blocks and the same style missions being repeated made me un-install before I could complete it. On my first play through at around 40% there was a game breaking flaw that wouldn't allow me to open a mission door. I hope they got around to patching it.

I would say therefore to plump for Assassin's Creed II. Even if you keep it until you play AC:I it's probably (haven't played RUSE) the best on the list.

Upvote 0
Alright I went AC2... just wondering... should I really play AC1? I heard it was very repetitive (and AC2 much less so). Also, is there a limited number of installs as part of the retarded DRM? (luckily for me my internet is on 99% of the time)

I'm not sure my computer can run it, so I'd rather not waste an install if it can't...

Upvote 0
AC2 is an awesome game, its very different than most other games, with its unique historical setting and charming characters. The only thing I don't like is the easy difficulty of combat. But theres alot of tombs and puzzles ETC, and it has the most amazing enviroment of any video game.

AC Brotherhood is more like an expansion to AC2, it was very good if your a fan of AC2, but there could've been more of a story, the cutscenes that there are of Cesare Borgia are complete awesomeness though. The MP is very interesting, and is more unique and interesting than many MP games.

Upvote 0
I would play AC1 first, personally, for a couple reasons.

1. It is repetitive. But the repetition isn't necessary, you can just get through the story and be done. There's no need to go after the extras, they don't unlock anything worthwhile or show you anything cool. So you can skip the tedium of hunting down flags.

2. It's got the better delivery of the AC storyline, IMO. AC2 starts to get out there, the writing gets looser (IMO) and I found the main character less interesting. The hero of AC, the villains, all that stuff....I think it was just done better. My like for the stroyline begins a downturn at the end of AC1. Up until then, I thought it was one of the better written plots I've played in a modern, adult video game.

3. AC will get you comfortable with the core AC game play mechanics, which then get expanded in AC2.

Upvote 0
I would play AC1 first, personally, for a couple reasons.

1. It is repetitive. But the repetition isn't necessary, you can just get through the story and be done. There's no need to go after the extras, they don't unlock anything worthwhile or show you anything cool. So you can skip the tedium of hunting down flags.

2. It's got the better delivery of the AC storyline, IMO. AC2 starts to get out there, the writing gets looser (IMO) and I found the main character less interesting. The hero of AC, the villains, all that stuff....I think it was just done better. My like for the stroyline begins a downturn at the end of AC1. Up until then, I thought it was one of the better written plots I've played in a modern, adult video game.

3. AC will get you comfortable with the core AC game play mechanics, which then get expanded in AC2.

I like how Altair struggled between being a good guy and a bad guy, and ultimately became a good guy, but Ezio was just really cool, he did change as a character but it was very subtle. He was just a different kind of character, he was more charismatic.

Upvote 0
Far Cry 2

If not, Rainbow 6 Vegas 2.

FC2 has a few flaws, but overall it is a good game. People bash it because they wanted something like Fallout. But, the game never promised to be an RPG. Just an open ended shooter, which it is. The only issues are constant respawning checkpoints, weapons are a bit weak, and the overall story is not that good.

But otherwise the setting and atmosphere is nice. Mortars, flame throwers and RPGs are fun to use.

Rabiwbow 6 Vegas 2 is a very average game. Not tactical at all, but it was not that bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to just quip in with a comment on the AC series.

Haven't played 1, had excellent fun with 2, don't feel like I missed chunkloads out of the modern-day part of the story. Wikipedia blurbs answer your questions. Forsooth.

So, no, not having played 1 I wouldn't consider a hancipad. Or something.

Upvote 0