• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Dials

barakas

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
I've noticed that in the most recent gameplay videos of tanking, that the speedometer is still a feature of the hud, and not actually a working part of the tank.

Also, tank ammo is displayed constantly, without the need for the player to check.

I was hoping one of the benefits of having such detailed interiors would be to display these things in game, rather than in hud.

I'm not sure why speedometer is seen as such a vital part of the gameplay that it needs to be constantly displayed in some pretty large hud graphics. Isn't it realistic for a driver who's eye's are pressed up against a vision port, not to be able to know exactly what speed he's going?

Is this just a feature of Relaxed-Realism? Any plans to have working dials in vehicles? I've seen some pretty old games do it, so I can't imagine its too much of a technical challenge.

speed control as commander. driver, go 5 KPM forward and stop by teh rock.

AI driver.....driver, advance slow/fast/"some word for medium"

to tell how many rounds you would simply look around the turrent. the ammo was stored on the sides of the hull and in the back/sides of the turrent. usually the HE and AP rounds would

1. look diferent (round nose vs blunt tip)
2. colored different (red for HE, blue for AP) blue was actually used for a lot of AP rounds....

i would love this, as it would force you to get familyer with your tank. when i played an old game called "war birds 3:fighter piolet acadmey" (simalyer to il2) you had to know what dial was the speed, flaps, ammo, ETC......and it took parctice adn experimting. it took a while before i could fly teh 109, but once i learned the dials, i owned the b-17's!!!

i would also like a "realistic gearbox", where you have to shift the gears your slef....jsut like in an old pickup! clutch, shift, clutch, gas! it would make having a groupen of 3 tigers in a tight formation a bit harder!

or tank racing...that would be a fun game mode!!!! loser gets a :IS2: shell!

Upvote 0
Actually, most of the rounds are NOT stored in the turret. Some vehicles do have a "ready-rack" in the turret, but neither the Pz IV G nor the T-34 M42 do.

Pz IV has the ammo in various bins in the hull - both sides, plus beind the driver. A few more in simple racking higher up the hull side. T-34 has the bulk of the rounds under matting on the hull floor, with about 5 or 6 in the hull sides. So, no, you can't see "at a glance" what is left. You're really relying on the loader to keep you informed - and he is AI!

Upvote 0
Pz IV has the ammo in various bins in the hull - both sides, plus beind the driver. A few more in simple racking higher up the hull side. T-34 has the bulk of the rounds under matting on the hull floor, with about 5 or 6 in the hull sides. So, no, you can't see "at a glance" what is left. You're really relying on the loader to keep you informed - and he is AI!

Fair enough.

Any comments on in-game speedometer/dials?

Also, if the loader is supposed to be whats giving you your ammo count, would there be any chance of hitting the "check ammo" button, and have the AI shout out the number of shells left (and then have the hud icon for ammo show up if theres still going to be an icon)?

It would be a cool touch to make it feel more like a working tank crew, and for immersion nuts such as myself who want as little hud as possible.

Though I'm guessing its probably not a priority in terms of where the resources are going right now.

Upvote 0
Fair enough.

Any comments on in-game speedometer/dials?

Also, if the loader is supposed to be whats giving you your ammo count, would there be any chance of hitting the "check ammo" button, and have the AI shout out the number of shells left (and then have the hud icon for ammo show up if theres still going to be an icon)?

It would be a cool touch to make it feel more like a working tank crew, and for immersion nuts such as myself who want as little hud as possible.

Though I'm guessing its probably not a priority in terms of where the resources are going right now.

In RL its a lot easier guessing the Speed from the "feeling" and the passing environment than it is ingame. So leave it in pls.

Upvote 0

Could simply hide it until you hit the tactical view button. The AI shouting out the number of shells would be nice still.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, we see what you did there TWI..

RivetCounting.jpg

Upvote 0
At last the Pz IV had a turret basket. :p
You mean you don't want to play as the loader in a T-34... ??

"Loader - armor-piercing! Gunner - target - left!"

"Wait, its in here somewhere [lifts mat, opens box]... no, here, somewhere, [lifts mat, opens other box, grabs shell, stands, smacks head on gun breach now right above him]... BLYAD!..."

Etc...

For those who don't know, the T-34 had no turret basket (turret floor), so the loader could either sit in his seat and not reach any ammo, or had to rack his seat and stand on the hull floor. Well, actually, stand on top of the ammo on the hull floor. He then had to bend down, grab rounds, check where the gun is now, dodge, stand up and reload. But at least the ammo is hard to hit down there :)

Upvote 0
For those who don't know, the T-34 had no turret basket (turret floor), so the loader could either sit in his seat and not reach any ammo, or had to rack his seat and stand on the hull floor. Well, actually, stand on top of the ammo on the hull floor. He then had to bend down, grab rounds, check where the gun is now, dodge, stand up and reload. But at least the ammo is hard to hit down there :)

Wow!
This, I had absolutely no idea about. This changes everything in my mind they way i look at the t-34.

Now I'm even more excited to see the t-34 model!!!!

Imagine playing the loader in the t-34, it would be a shell grabbing, breach dodging, gun loading hell of a mini-game. Reminds me of mario party.

What, not enough realism in mario party for you guys?:D

Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0

The loaders spot must be one of the most uncomfortable places I

Upvote 0