• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper rifle fix please

Nism100

Oct 9, 2011
The snipers are good and I like the effect of seeing the view outside the scope instead of like other games, but what I don't like is the way that;
1) it is too hard to move as it's sensitivity is too low and raising my sensitivity will mean I will screw up with other guns.
2) There isnt enough sniper spots on some maps
3) Hitting moving enemies is so annoying.
4) There's only 1 space.
5) It seems to either give off loads of gun smoke or the loudest bang as it's always really clear where they are.

Just making usage and adding either more sniper spots on new maps or adding them to the old ones

(1) You'll just have to learn how to do fine control movments with your hand, or possibly a mouse with a DPI changing button on it.
(2) Which maps? There's tonnes on FallenFighters, Spartonovka, Commisar's House, Pavlov's House and Red Oktober. As for Appartments, maybe not alot but it's not a long / medium distance map anyways.
(3) Get used to the weapons and the distances, lead your targets. No-one said hitting moving targets at a distance would be easy! :p
(4) One space is fine, Marksmen cover the team as they move up, hitting key targets (MG's / Other Snipers / Commanders on Radios), more could result in a team that sits back, not going for objectives.
(5) While they are somewhat louder than the standard Bolt-action rifles, it promotes the idea of Fire And Move on smaller maps. On bigger maps though, as long as you are far enough away, it wont really matter, just sit yourself back from a window and fire, no worries.

Reactions: slyder73
Upvote 0

I'm sorry, but you might want to consider getting some more bolt-action practice before taking any of the special roles. Leading enemies is a basic first person shooter skill. A sniper on the other hand is a role that should be occupied by people that are reasonably experienced in that aspect.

The only way a sniper can be a real benefit for his team, is when he manages not only to take out high priority/marked targets like commanders/squad leaders and MGers, but also manages to kill more people than all the other soldiers in his team.

In order to achieve a high number of kills per minute, he simply needs to be able to hit enemies, fast and clean so he can stay unnoticed and shoot a few other shots. The longer a sniper can go unnoticed the less time he has to waste to relocate in order to secure his own survival.

Not being able to hit people on the move means that you are going to miss a lot of opportunities to take the enemy down. Because every smart person knows that keeping on the move reduces the chance of an enemy giving you a headshot.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but you might want to consider getting some more bolt-action practice before taking any of the special roles. Leading enemies is a basic first person shooter skill. A sniper on the other hand is a role that should be occupied by people that are reasonably experienced in that aspect.

The only way a sniper can be a real benefit for his team, is when he manages not only to take out high priority/marked targets like commanders/squad leaders and MGers, but also manages to kill more people than all the other soldiers in his team.

In order to achieve a high number of kills per minute, he simply needs to be able to hit enemies, fast and clean so he can stay unnoticed and shoot a few other shots. The longer a sniper can go unnoticed the less time he has to waste to relocate in order to secure his own survival.

Not being able to hit people on the move means that you are going to miss a lot of opportunities to take the enemy down. Because every smart person knows that keeping on the move reduces the chance of an enemy giving you a headshot.

Unless you suggest the campaign which the AI works for crap, how can new people get that experience and secondly I'm sure I could hit moving targets if the god damn sensitivity wasn't so bad. I'm sorry but you can't just presume that some people magically know what they are doing whilst others have no idea and should leave it alone. If people did that, how do people become good at it? That's contradive of the two points.

Upvote 0
The snipers are good and I like the effect of seeing the view outside the scope instead of like other games, but what I don't like is the way that;
1) it is too hard to move as it's sensitivity is too low and raising my sensitivity will mean I will screw up with other guns.
4) There's only 1 space.
5) It seems to either give off loads of gun smoke or the loudest bang as it's always really clear where they are.

Just making usage and adding either more sniper spots on new maps or adding them to the old ones

1.) get skill
2.) get skill
3.) get skill
4.) de install
5.) go back to playing COD

Upvote 0
It's supposed to be different from other rifles, and it's supposed to be an acquired skill, not something you just pick up and run the show with.
There are more than enough on the maps with ranges suited to a sniper rifle.
Practice makes perfect.
4) There's only 1 space.
How is that a bad thing? On the maps suited to sniping there's enough regular riflemen-camp-fests going on. More sniper rifles isn't going to help, only create further irritating stalemate.

The k98 sniper has a different sound to the regular k98.
If you're close enough to the enemy to be heard you're not really embracing the range advantage.

Poorly considered sniper locations, like poorly considered MG locations will get you killed very quickly.

Upvote 0
The amount of lead needed for a moving target involves the target's ping time.

So unless you skilful snipers have some way of knowing your target's name, look them up on the scoreboard to see their ping, and adjust your lead accordingly, then it's clear that there are elements of luck and skill involved.

However, for the OP - remember that if the scope magnification factor is 4, then you'll need 4 times the (apparent) lead than if you were using iron sights.

Upvote 0
If you're having problems that basic, please do everyone a favour and don't take up the sniper slot before you even know how to operate a basic bolt-action rifle well. Hell, do yourself a favour -- you certainly aren't going to learn the bolt-action quicker using a scoped rifle at great distances.

Furthermore, while shooting at moving targets can be effective if the marksman is skilled, that's honestly not what it's for. The reason marksmen are very limited is simply because marksmen are a special role that doesn't have the conventional use of the other roles. The marksman's job is primarily to hunt specific targets, be that a machine-gunner that is costing you ungodly amounts of reinforcements and blocking your whole team off from progressing, or enemy riflemen in tricky spots that an ordinary rifleman can't quite reach (FallenFighters comes to mind).

Upvote 0
I leave sniper to others, there are some VERY good sniper shots in this game. If they are on my team, then good for me.

On some maps there are no tanks.. on some maps there is no artillery. That's part of the beauty of map changing - you get to try out different combat environments.

Yes. That's why I leave sniper to others, there are some VERY good sniper shots in this game. If they are on my team, then good for me.

4) There's only 1 space:
Yes. That's why I don;t take sniper, becasue I'm not good at it. I leave it to others who are... (you get the picture by now, I'm sure)

5) The noise and smoke:

It is a high-powered rifle. Bang!

Upvote 0