• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism, frustration, and other things ROHOS

Its not realistic its just stupid.

A Sense of Accomplishment is winning a Match and Killing someone. Thats Accomplishment not killing X amount of dudes to unlock X item is not.
"Thanks to rigorous grinding and playing for nothing but the sake of stats, I have managed to get full recoil reduction on this gun. It's a very good feeling, especially when I realise I could've played something more fun or done something productive instead"

Grinding is nothing but a feature put into games to distract from bland gameplay. Many games don't need it because they're something called "fun".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ostfront -- old game + hanging out with friends = win

Ostfront -- old game + hanging out with friends = win

Tripwire, we sometimes log on for the game you made, but its not all about you. We are here to hang out with our friends. Do you really think we put up with 5 year old game code and models because we are impressed by antiques? Do you really think that all the flashy graphics and blinking lights all over the screen in front of the game are going to keep us coming back in RO2?

A big part of the reason many of us have hundreds of hours in Ostfront is not because the graphics are awesome, nor because bullets are affected by gravity, nor because the maps are realistic recreations of the actual battlefield.

It is for our friends. It is because at the end of every match everyone types "gg" and means it. It is because when Dr. NO gets his head bashed with a panzerfaust, we all can laugh at him in chat. It is because when out by yourself on a hillside and you snipe a tank driver out of his turret, everyone knows it, and talks about the other times they've seen that over the years.

It seems that TW is more interested in showing off the leveling stats and fancy graphics, so the chat lines vanish almost as soon as they appear, so I never get a sense of any conversation among players beyond the moment. At the end of a map the stats appear and the chat is disabled, so I cant type "good game" and cant talk to new players about how to improve, nor talk about what we're going to do next round.

Simple fix: make the chat function just as it did in RO.

Upvote 0
i agree.

i play about 20min every now and then but i end up irritated and just stop. RO2 is so close to being a great game but the blatant negligence and the inability of the devs to own up to their mistakes frustrates me beyond belief. Also its very hard for me to find servers under 200 ping (realism mode) and i'm los angeles.

I want a realism mode without heroes, without CoD unlocks or stats, no "super-secret" nazi weapons, more stamina effects, some inertia so players dont glide around weightlessly, no kill cam, etc etc.

TWI you've heard this all before, now do something about it.

I never bought a COD game, but I'd rather invest the money I spent on RO:HOS in buying MW3 and playing online there instead...

i've been playing a bit of MW3 on my brothers 360, and to be honest...it's really not that bad; this is coming from someone who hasnt played CoD since WaW and HATED mw2. Its pacing has retreated back more towards cod4, so if you like that one, you might like mw3.

i'm debating whether i should buy it or not (ill probably wait for a sale, and just keep playing on the 360 till then). If im gonna play an arcade game, i might as well play one thats good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tripwire, we sometimes log on for the game you made, but its not all about you. We are here to hang out with our friends. Do you really think we put up with 5 year old game code and models because we are impressed by antiques? Do you really think that all the flashy graphics and blinking lights all over the screen in front of the game are going to keep us coming back in RO2?

A big part of the reason many of us have hundreds of hours in Ostfront is not because the graphics are awesome, nor because bullets are affected by gravity, nor because the maps are realistic recreations of the actual battlefield.

It is for our friends. It is because at the end of every match everyone types "gg" and means it. It is because when Dr. NO gets his head bashed with a panzerfaust, we all can laugh at him in chat. It is because when out by yourself on a hillside and you snipe a tank driver out of his turret, everyone knows it, and talks about the other times they've seen that over the years.

It seems that TW is more interested in showing off the leveling stats and fancy graphics, so the chat lines vanish almost as soon as they appear, so I never get a sense of any conversation among players beyond the moment. At the end of a map the stats appear and the chat is disabled, so I cant type "good game" and cant talk to new players about how to improve, nor talk about what we're going to do next round.

Simple fix: make the chat function just as it did in RO.

Here, here.

Upvote 0
I know I'm going to get flamed by this, but didn't I tell you guys about the evils of incorporating the MKB42? But I'm not here to gloat about this. You guys admitted it was a bad design choice, and you all seem to want realism to be added to RO2. Therefore, we are all pretty much here because we either love Red Orchestra or want to see the only realistic game on the market to succeed. Whatever reasons you have that keep you guys posting here is of no concern of mine, but shows how bad we want to experience Stalingrad in a virtual setting.

TWI, I know you guys thought "mainstream" gamers would love you, but they dumped you in heartbeat. You weren't Call of Dutyish enough for them. But just remember who stuck with you and was telling you all along that your game design choices would fail and that the mainstreamers would move on to the next flavor of the week.

Upvote 0
You did Hans and I won't flame ya :p
Lol I think he's been adequately flamed over the history of this forum...

But yeah, unfortunately the realism problems with this game extend far beyond just the MKb42. It's just one facet of the complaints the community has brought forward before and since release.

Upvote 0
I'm enjoying it so far, but it really doesn't feel as realistic as the old RO, probably because all the maps seem so small and there isn't much in the way of combined arms at the moment with only two tanks and no other vehicles yet available. RO1 started out this way though, and once we get more vehicles, transports, etc., and the modders start pumping out large combined arms maps that aren't all urban, I think it'll start to feel more like the old RO1 again, which, mind you, had many many years to age to how good it is today. RO2 just needs to grow into its shoes a little.

Upvote 0
i agree.

i play about 20min every now and then but i end up irritated and just stop. RO2 is so close to being a great game but the blatant negligence and the inability of the devs to own up to their mistakes frustrates me beyond belief. Also its very hard for me to find servers under 200 ping (realism mode) and i'm los angeles.

I want a realism mode without heroes, without CoD unlocks or stats, no "super-secret" nazi weapons, more stamina effects, some inertia so players dont glide around weightlessly, no kill cam, etc etc.

i've been playing a bit of MW3 on my brothers 360, and to be honest...it's really not that bad; this is coming from someone who hasnt played CoD since WaW and HATED mw2. Its pacing has retreated back more towards cod4, so if you like that one, you might like mw3.

i'm debating whether i should buy it or not (ill probably wait for a sale, and just keep playing on the 360 till then). If im gonna play an arcade game, i might as well play one thats good.

How can someone possibly give this post thumbs down?

I mean, It's true, no doubt, and anyone who disagree should crawl back where they came from.

Upvote 0
We are your core audience, the ones who supported you thru the years, the ones who helped spread the word about ROHOS, the ones who preordered the game, the ones who would still (mostly) be playing the game despite the release of other AAA titles, the ones who will stick with you despite the game bugs and optimization problems because we know you will fix those to the best of your ability. We are the ones who would be filling the ROHOS servers and attracting new players if only you would just give us a proper and realistic Realism mode and we are Not the .0001% !!!

So true! :)

Reactions: Sojuz
Upvote 0
I know people on the forum don't like smg, personally I don't mind them, (I play only with the MG) but in Stalingrad they were very common no? Some platoon (not sure of the term, correct me) were issued only with smg (even germans), so I dont think it's unrealistic to see a lot of those weapons in the game (at least for some map, being almost only smg isn't wrong)

Upvote 0
i agree.

I am having the exact same feelings. Currently, I am extremely busy with work and don't have much time to play. Every time I start the game, it's like sth inside me is demanding the RO-experience and I am trying hard to like the game. And EVERY TIME, within 20 minutes or 2 maps, I am off again, disappointed, willing to destroy my computer, TV and what not, because hipshooting mg34s, Mkbs, spawncamping AI mgunner, run'n'gun Husain Bolts are destroying the game.

I am leaving the game then, disappointed and angry. What to do? Watching TV or, when time is really there: Arma 2 editor.

What has happened to my beloved RO-series?

Reactions: Needles and Hobitt
Upvote 0