• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

All Weapon Unlocks

Why is everyone dissing the bayonet on sniper rifle? It makes sense. Here is why:

Snipers in a dense urban battlefield did probably end up in situations where the enemy was under the same roof, therefore a bayonet would make sense. And the battle of stalingrad was known for these situations.
Also, you people assume too much about what loadout a sniper should have to "fit" the class. Which is wrong. I read an interview with a german sniper in ww2 and when he was asked what his favorite loadout was he said:

Sniper rifle, SMG, as many grenades as I could carry.
(no joke, that was the literal text from the interview). And that answer shows that a sniper probably expected ending up in situations where hand grenade range combat was taking place.

Upvote 0
Snipers in a dense urban battlefield did probably end up in situations where the enemy was under the same roof, therefore a bayonet would make sense. And the battle of stalingrad was known for these situations.
Also, you people assume too much about what loadout a sniper should have to "fit" the class. Which is wrong. I read an interview with a german sniper in ww2 and when he was asked what his favorite loadout was he said:

(no joke, that was the literal text from the interview). And that answer shows that a sniper probably expected ending up in situations where hand grenade range combat was taking place.

The most "famous" german sniper in WW2 used his P38 to fight enemies in close combat, head shots only. The grenades are not always frag grenades, most used smoke screens to escape or used grenades as boobie traps or diversion.

Since german snipers were out numbered 20:1 by the russians (they had a long running sniper school system after WW1) they were on their own and later had the numbers to work in pairs. So they had to grab a side arm of some sort to fight off enemies on short distance the spotter would normally engage.

You know what the guys in WW1 preferred as a close combat weapon? The e-tool, because the bayonet, especially the long spears, dug so deep into the enemy that they had to kick them off the blade/spike.

This took a few seconds they lost in running from trench to trench. A bayonet is a forward assault type of weapon, you run towards the enemy, stab him and keep running afterwards. A sniper does not try to get close to the enemy, and if he has to engage in close quarters combat, he has to grab his sidearm (ever maneuvered with a long gun in confined space?)

So bayonets for sniper rifles were not used period. Not even today...

Upvote 0
Why is everyone dissing the bayonet on sniper rifle? It makes sense. Here is why:

Also, you people assume too much about what loadout a sniper should have to "fit" the class. .

Short answer: No.

Why ?

1.) Because that bayonet would screw up the accuracy of the weapon.
2.) No right minded sniper would ever think about using his rifle as a melee weapon. He took care of his rifle like was it his own child, for CQC he carried a pistol or he would use his bayonet as a straight out dagger.

- heck like you said yourself many even brought along an SMG.

Reactions: grothesj2
Upvote 0

Hmm how many books about snipers have you read?

My friend has read a lot including "Sniper on the Easern Front" and some other one he said was good.

He says that one top sniper if he even heard Russians near he would throw his K98 in a bush and hide because if he ever got captured and the Russians knew he was a sniper. He is ****ed. There was also another sniper who carried a K98 and a MP40 and when he got near he would hide his sniper and get out the MP40.

Snipers would NEVER even think of getting into close combat with their rifles.

Upvote 0
Well, seeing as they're adding stuff that didn't even reach the frontlines I guess that I could always hope for a 8x powered Zielacht scope as an unlockable for the K98k, atleast that scope was made and issued in the hundreds during the war.

I just still can't understand why they would ever add a 4x scope for the G41 and a 6x scope for the SVT40, as neither rifle was ever equipped with such a scope during the whole war. A 4x scope was never made for the G41, and the 6x prototype scope meant for the SVT40 only numbered some ~5 examples, all of which were trial pieces that never left the testing ranges. Also AFAIK, they weren't "PEM" scopes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code:
I like the idea of largely cosmetic customization, some unlockable, some available from start. For the MN for example you could have:

Surface Wear: Mint / Worn / Run Over by Tank
Wood Finish: Light / Dark
Sling: Not Visible / Visible
Bolt: Straight / Bent (with slight bolting speed up)
Receiver: Hex / Round
Bayonet: On / Off

Simple things like that to make the guns unique without resorting to realism-breaking rare upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagicSnake
Upvote 0
winter trigger guard? what in gods name is the point of that?

it allows you to wear gloves so you dont get frostbite halfway through the map?

It's so obvious that tripwire was racking their brains in an attempt to come up with unlocks, because unlocks dont make any sense in this game.

It's ww2, there is no f***ing sopmod or attachments aside from standard issue.

Upvote 0
Most people don't seem to understand that a bayonet changes the POI or point of impact of a rifle. That is the main reason a sniper would not use one. Take the mosin nagant m44 for example, they were sighted in with the bayonet extended and if you do not have them out most of the guns will fire a bit to the left of your POA. Look into barrel harmonics.

Upvote 0
Most people don't seem to understand that a bayonet changes the POI or point of impact of a rifle. That is the main reason a sniper would not use one. Take the mosin nagant m44 for example, they were sighted in with the bayonet extended and if you do not have them out most of the guns will fire a bit to the left of your POA. Look into barrel harmonics.

True words of wisdom right there, and hopefully not infront of deaf ears.

Upvote 0
I still have hope they'll have a decent "hardcore" realism setting without all of these... hmm "upgrades". I couldn't care less for relaxed realism at this point: I just really wish "hardcore" ends up feeling authentic. And as awesome as mods are, I don't want to be needing a mod to play the game in an believable setting.

Though I do like the idea of cosmetic variants, carbine versions, bent bolts, etc.
But truth be told, I'm not a fan of "persistent progression" in a game where you die 15 times per match anyway ;). It lacks sense and purpose.

Upvote 0
This:
brnok98k3.jpg

To make it easier to use with winter gloves on.

are you kidding me? the unlock for the k98 is that type of winter trigger guard? that type of "winter" triggerguard NEVER WAS IN WW2!!!!!!!!! Thats a triggerguard found on POST WAR made & reworked K98s by the CZECH.
I know this is a FACT because I collect K98s, I own like 15 of them.

theyre going to include something that wasnt even in WW2?!

lets hope not and lets hope it looks like this: (this is a original german made ww2 "winter triggerguard") Which is alot more historically correct than a czech triggerguard. Even the german version was rare...plus i dont think they even had them untill after stalingrad. but whatever... seems like anything that was rare is going to be included in RO2. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They're sharpshooters, not snipers.

Sharpshooters and marksmen fight with their squads, and may find use for something like a bayonet.

We're not talking about lone wolf Jude Laws stalking Major Konigs, we're talking about that one guy in the group who happens to be a good shot and has a scope on his rifle.

are you kidding me? the unlock for the k98 is that type of winter trigger guard? that type of "winter" triggerguard NEVER WAS IN WW2!!!!!!!!! Thats a triggerguard found on POST WAR made & reworked K98s by the CZECH.
I know this is a FACT because I collect K98s, I own like 15 of them.

theyre going to include something that wasnt even in WW2?

You do know that several Czechoslovakian factories were under Germany's control during the war, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0