• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bobby Kotick wins again

What other game (series) comes to your mind that is on par with CoDs SP(as in cinematic action experience with plenty of wtf moments)? Of course I'd like more innovations too and I'd love it if they finally had a completely new engine, but if you were Satan aka Robert Kotick and you see how well the series sells without losing any fatigue you wouldn't want any radical changes either.

So yeah I'm completely on your side with the series needing more innovations etc., but from a realistic point of view I can see what Activision is doing and well, it's just capitalism at it's height.

Upvote 0
Activision are an awful publisher, with an absolutely massive position in the industry (like EA were, and especially after merging/acquiring Blizzard) & could very easily be a monumentally positive force in every aspect - but nah...it's much easier to be a bunch of ****s.

There isn't this straight line between pushing the same franchises over and over OR producing innovative or risky titles from smaller developers. They could quite easily do both - but they don't - because they'd rather milk your wallet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well then you're taking it too far, sorry.

Plus, I can live with the fact that Activision is getting some of my money as long as Blizzard is getting some too. Because Blizzard rocks. As does SC2.

Plus you think you not buying Goldeneye is really gonna do anything lol? Unless you manage to organize some kind of mass (and I'm talking several hundred thousand at least) people to not buy Activision games it's completely and utterly pointless and you're just depriving yourself of fun for no good reason.

Your life tho.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haven't tried it, didn't strike me as a good Strategy game.
It is. The campaign alone is worth $60... best RTS mission design ever by far. (though some of the cutscenes are cheezy)... but the missions themselves... ALL GOLD.

And that's without even bringing up the insanely awesome multiplayer. Yes yes the new Battlenet kinda sucks but who cares, as long as I get to have incredibly fun competitive matches and strive to get to diamond league. Blizz has already said they're gonna be "fixing" Battle.net up anyways... and they're one of the few companies that patch their games over and over and over till it reaches near perfection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Plus you think you not buying Goldeneye is really gonna do anything lol? Unless you manage to organize some kind of mass (and I'm talking several hundred thousand at least) people to not buy Activision games it's completely and utterly pointless and you're just depriving yourself of fun for no good reason.

It's not about hurting Activision. It's about personal principle. Personally, I havent bought a game by EA for many many years, and Activision has been on my list for some time as well. You do it because it's something you believe in, and if you truly believe what they're doing is wrong, then you'll never have feelings of 'missing out' on anything they do. It's anything but pointless, though, if this needed to be explained to you, then the explanation is whats really pointless :rolleyes:. Why do I waste my time? They shoot for the lowest common denominator, and in you they've hit the mark.

Upvote 0
It's not about hurting Activision. It's about personal principle. Personally, I havent bought a game by EA for many many years, and Activision has been on my list for some time as well. You do it because it's something you believe in, and if you truly believe what they're doing is wrong, then you'll never have feelings of 'missing out' on anything they do. It's anything but pointless, though, if this needed to be explained to you, then the explanation is whats really pointless :rolleyes:. Why do I waste my time? They shoot for the lowest common denominator, and in you they've hit the mark.

Exactly what i think :eek:

Upvote 0
Well then you're taking it too far, sorry.

Plus, I can live with the fact that Activision is getting some of my money as long as Blizzard is getting some too. Because Blizzard rocks. As does SC2.

Your life tho.

Me not buying their titles isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to them but it doesn't mean I'm going to go and buy them because "I can't make a difference".

Either I disapprove or I don't, I'm not going to be all half arsed and hypocritical.

"I dislike that company, but I can't stop them so I'll carry on buying their product"...what sort of attitude is that?

Upvote 0
See I really (really) want Goldeneye (Wii) but it's published by Activision. So I'm not buying it!

:(
And there in lies the problem. Activision is focusing on the games that it is because it has found a formula that works. In the business world, that's a gold mine. Though many of us cringe at the last few CoD titles, Activision has been producing the exact kinds of games that the majority of the gaming world is looking for.

As long as they keep making attractive games that meet the needs of the mass target market, they will continue to sell them. Period!

Upvote 0
Me not buying their titles isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to them but it doesn't mean I'm going to go and buy them because "I can't make a difference".

Either I disapprove or I don't, I'm not going to be all half arsed and hypocritical.

"I dislike that company, but I can't stop them so I'll carry on buying their product"...what sort of attitude is that?
It's the attitude of I want the game so who cares.:IS2:

It's not like we're doing a sit-in for greenpeace here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So yeah I'm completely on your side with the series needing more innovations etc., but from a realistic point of view I can see what Activision is doing and well, it's just capitalism at it's height.

Maybe I shouldn't have said capitalism, since true capitalism and a free market thrives on healthy competition. Activision has none, same with Blizzard. And people wonder why indie devs have such a hard time.

MW3 is due for next year already. It's like they are emulating the plan Nintendo works from with their success. Just keep churning out games and selling on their monumental publicity and hype, regardless of the actual quality or innovative elements.

Sure CoD is "cinematic" but it doesn't take me long to think of games that do it better. And even that aspect of the series is getting bland and predictable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This.

and this too.

:IS2:

Upvote 0
Bad isn't the correct word, because they're good at what they're doing. I'd rather use the term "evil". But then again, Ubisoft and especcialy EA are currently trying to catch up with Activision after 2-3 good years.

i thought it was the other way round- activiz, who we once liked, had overtaken ubi and in particular EA as the big evil.
This is of course in part because of their great success, which bites the realism crowd hard due to the 'injustice' of the cod series going from strength to strength as we perceive it to have taken a nose-dive after the first one, and gone downhill thereafter.
And not forgetting of course their appointment a ceo that makes the child catcher look like santa.

I don't care who buys cod games - i guess i wished they weren't released on PC so more players would be on the kinda games i like, but i can't be so patronising to think that they are just misguided, and don't know what they like yet.
And i find it hard to believe that anyone who enjoy's thier lesuire pursuits is stupid.

But fair play to sheepdip and others - if you feel strongly about something you should practice what you preach.
I mean, I love smarties, but nestle can **** right off, so I have to do without them.

Upvote 0
I try to be objective on this stuff, I have no emotional connection whatsoever to a publisher. If I like their games, I will buy them, if I don't then I won't. For example: I bought SC2, which I like. But it barely had enough new to entertain me. It was good but not great. I never bought a Guitar Hero, WoW or CoD title, because I think they're not worth my money.

Conclusion: If they continue with these four franchises and don't add enough greatness to the next SC title, I will not buy a single game from Activision/Blizzard in the next two years and they will not get my money. Without me needing to force myself to not buy a game which I may like.

Upvote 0
I don't have any problems with people who avoid games from certain publishers, as long as they realize that it doesn't do anything to the big picture....

yes but for example the reason you don't drop litter is because you believe it's wrong in principal, you don't go against that just because so many others are making a mess that you're not making any discernable difference.
You just continue, and hope in time more ppl adopt your principals.

again, i don't couldn't care less who gets cod, it's just personally not for me.
I bought no. 2 on release: thought it was a lazy effort in light of UO, a backwards step, and was bitterly disappointed.
And while my taste was following more realistic titles I found more and more that the series was in truth a frantic arcade shooter more akin to the UT deathmatch i used to play.
Indeed, this quake/UT gameplay is still very much alive - nowadays it just wears camo and the maps are all brown.

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
You can't say that if less people bought CoD they'd become realism hardcore players who play RO.

But you could say that if people didn't have something shoved in their face they might look around for what they could play, instead of being told.

I don't have any problems with people who avoid games from certain publishers, as long as they realize that it doesn't do anything to the big picture and...(Nox quote)

You decide what you think it's worth having principles about - recycling, global warming, politics, child abuse, human rights etc...
I can't stop poor treatment of farmed animals - doesn't mean I'm going to keep buying produce from the places that do it because everyone else keeps buying the ****. Games are important to me - so it's about the bigger picture.

There are enough ****ty things in life (like the things I've just mentioned in the previous paragraph) without having one of the things I - and lots of people - look to for entertainment/escapism turned into this bland money obsessed culture of repetition.

If companies like Activision (get their way and) continue to behave in the same way eventually you'll be left with 2 extremes between big budget games that the gaming press tells you are the greatest thing since sliced bread (even though you've seen it before), and small fry indie games that either struggle to get attention because they aren't coming from a big publisher or get bought out by a big publisher and have their ingenuity or risky elements removed to ensure a big return.

Upvote 0