• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Return to Castle Wolfenstein OBJS

Gut_You_Up

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
Hello everyone,

I am a former RTCW player since 2001, I had gamed many years until the player base disappeared. Though, through my loyalty, I had purchased the game on Steam last week again.

Ok, with that said, I also have RO Osfront but did not play very long. Though I did enjoy it, I think at the time I was playing COD2 which had me intrigued. I did however reinstall and started playing last night.

Now here is my question/idea.

I think RTCW had the perfect OBJ style. I have read a few posts such as "Search and Destroy" and to me, one team would defend and one team would attack. I think the problem in the style of gaming lies here, and while I don't think this should be ruled out. I do think it would be fantastic if RO2 through MODs could adapt RTCW style of OBJ.

If no one is familiar with how it worked. Both axis and Allies (German vs. Us) had OBJ's that players had to defend and destroy. Both team were balanced in defending and attacking. This gameplay made RTCW the "most fun I ever had gaming", because as Tripwire's president says, "We want players to feel panic" and not instant rewards. That is exactly what RTCW OBJ did, you were not bottlenecked through a map like (Battlefield Bad Company 2) but you had multiple options of flanking (Like RO) and made your tatics and hide-out special and filled me with panic of death. Nowadays when I game, there is no sense of excitement of my play, it's all the same ****.

So both teams/players had a few defenders and attackers and a crucial FDA; Forward Deployment Area. When this was captured, you would spawn in between both bases. This would give either team the ability to push towards the OBJ quicker but it also allowed players like myself who preferred not to just run and die every spawn, but rather flank around the FDA through tunnels or trains etc, making my spawn exciting. If I got through to the other enemy base, I was worried about dieing and doing the whole thing over. It made the game so exciting.

But you also had to focus on your OBJ so they did not plant.

Also, RTCW style of dropping TNT and switching to pliers via another command mine was always (G for TNT and H for pliers) to plant was awesome. Every game I played after, it took no skill to plant. Walk to some stupid OBJ, hold a button for 5 seconds and you planted. No skill.

I would love to see this style, two OBJ's on opposing sides where both teams need to defend and to plant on Enemy Obj's. With of course, surrounding buildings for cover and spying. :IS2:

Thanks all!

I vaguely remember the gameplay of rtcw multiplayer. I don't get though, what it offers, that RO:Ostf didn't offer and that will most likely even be topped by RO:HoS. Is it just the mechanics of planting the bomb (that add another, exciting key to the process?). If it is the scenario of two teams trying to destroy some other teams whatever (flak cannon, ammo dump, fuel truck, tank, artillery position, command center), I'd say that it was rather unrealistic. In my eyes the current capture and hold territory, freshened up by some random thing that is supposed to be blown up by the one and protected by the other team (no switching of roles during the match) is a good representation of a somewhat authentically portrayed battle.

Upvote 0
I think it's the mechanics of planting and simply not holding a button to plant the TNT, for instance, an Engineer was the only one that could plant and I think this should be adapted into ROHOS. Not all classes should be able to plant like in every game, it makes it so that each team has it's Engineers and so on. Also with 64 player server with this game, same as RTCW it should work out nicely.

But the Engineer could throw is TNT and be killed, but another Engineer right behind him could arm his thrown TNT which was the case many times. But it limits other team members from doing so, which is why I think it's perfect.

The purpose would be yes, two separate objectives that both teams need to defend/ plant in order to win. An objective example from my favorite map of RTCW; Depot. Allies had to defend the Field Ops (A radio) and the AXIS had to defend the Anti Airgun. Sometimes, the teams would almost plant at the same time, one need to be defused, another defended. These matches were epic, some of them going on for Hours and believe me, you wanted to win. You wanted to plant and blow up that OBJ.

The OBJ's however were not in a building etc, usually outdoors surrounded by other buildings. This meant that Lt's were responsible for dropping airstrikes. It was a thing of beauty.

Upvote 0
I remember a lot of maps with RTCW where you actually had one team attacking and one team defending. It was sort of mixed up between the maps (for instance the beach map is all about the allies invading, stealing the documents and transmitting).

In red orchestra you can have both the allies and axis attacking or one side attacking or defending. Pretty much territory is close to the default RTCW game type, while the countdown game type is close to search and destroy.

So it depends on what map someone wants to make like in RTCW. I would like some game ability similar to the stopwatch RTCW gametype though. And the ability to have a small amount of individual lives per players for a bit of fun rather than a global pool of reinforcements as is the case with Red Orchestra currently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh yea, the stealing of the documents was also amazing! In RO2, I can see myself enjoying countdown. And yes you are correct, RTCW had both attack and defend, and attack/defend and defend/attack.

I'm a Mech Eng student, I think I became an Engineer because of RTCW :D If only I had the time to develop games, I really would enjoy that. Just don't think it would fit into my life. Though it's something I always wanted to do.

Now the question is, if someone was kind enough. I'm sure this could be done.

Upvote 0
That doesn't fit well within a shooter based on realism though ;). Ro's speeds are already increased from red orchestra: ost front. And if they were to be increased even more some people on these forums would get a heart attack.

There is nothing wrong with faster running players. There is no friction in realism with faster running player movements. As long there is balance in stamina.

It really doesn't take that long to bring a rifle or SMG up and aim. And real people sure will run a lot faster when they realize someone aiming a weapon on them.

If the realism department think different they might need to adjust their point of view on "Realism"

Did I mention the price of defribillators dropped recently ?

24518-groot.jpg

Upvote 0
My thing is, I certainly see that they increased the speed in HOS. But sure, I have equipment on, but if someone was trying to shoot at me. I'd be running like no tomorrow!

I'm so pumped for the game and Tripwire is doing it right. Nice to see them giving mod tools or allowing mods, because then this will be possible.

The movement to me in OSF is to sluggish, it's like a very very light jog. Too light if you ask me.

It would just be nice to ditch out of heavy fire a bit quicker.

Upvote 0
There is nothing wrong with faster running players. There is no friction in realism with faster running player movements. As long there is balance in stamina.

Running in default RO never cost any stamina, it was sprinting that cost stamina. By default you are running, and you only walk when you hold the walk key.

I personally do not really mind higher speeds that much. But when individual player speed is increased, you become harder to hit while moving, which can make it easier relatively to Rambo (even with modelled inertia). That's the thing a lot of people are somewhat scared for.

And that is why further increasing the running speed could give people a heart attack.

Upvote 0
That's because players have inertia. In reality, you can't jink left and right at high speed, jumping occasionally to throw people off. Changing direction just isn't as easy and that's why RO's movement was like that. In RTCW or CoD it's a given that most gunfights devolve into a player either rapidly mashing the left and right keys while spraying bullets or a sideways running bunnyhop, again while spraying bullets. In a game it's enough to throw someone's mouse aim off. In reality it's completely ridiculous and a fast track to being shot, hence RO took steps to eliminate it.

RTCW was certainly fun back in its day, but it's a totally different style of game to RO.

Upvote 0