• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

LAW is underpowered!

greenlemonade

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Ok so
It weights more than both grenade launchers combined,
It has only 10 rockets (22 with 6th demo).

Compare this to having 60 grenade launcher shots that do enough damage to get the job done AND do more damage to Flesh pounds (LAW has 50% damage penalty).

It is both realistic and balanced IMO to reduce the LAW's weight to 10 blocks.
(slightly lighter than both grenade launchers and their 60 grenades <11>)

This would allow for a bit more diversity with this very limited weapon (though fun). For instance:

LAW + M79 GL
LAW + Katana + Pipebombs
LAW + Hand Cannon
LAW + Mac10
LAW + Pipebombs + Medic Gun

What? Where did you get this information from?

Misinformation, at any rate. Scary Ghost recently posted a handy little breakdown of some specimen traits straight from the source code:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49922

Grenade launchers get a small bonus vs Fleshpounds, frag grenades and pipebombs get a huge (x2) bonus, and LAW rockets are x1. So there is no damage penalty to Fleshpounds with the LAW, but neither does it gain some of the explosives bonuses.

I'm actually pretty happy with the LAW as it is now. I suspect that a 10 block LAW would become the new Crossbow of over-poweredness, but I can't say that for sure. At least in the games I play (mainly Hard and Suicidal) I don't have any complaints.

Upvote 0
It's not underpowered. It's just not viable on the huge majority of maps. On harder difficulties, even with the 20-something rockets, you'll have a hard time pulling your weight. The rockets barely scratch Scrakes and, while they do good damage vs FPs, you'll typically only get 1 shot. They're okay against huge waves of enemies too, but sirens have a nasty habit of screaming and frying the rockets.

Long story short...it's an okay weapon, but don't expect to see it used very much because it has a very limited role and is so heavy that you can't carry much besides it.

Upvote 0
The LAW is great, no weapon can kill as much in a single shot and 22 rockets are plenty if you use it right.
Step 1) Wait for a large group or a pissed off scrake/fleshpound
Step 2) BOOM!
Step 3) ???
Step 5) Profit
Step 6) Notice that there was no step 4
Step 7) You checked, didn't you? :p

You can also throw in a one-liner as step 1.5
IMO, it should be buffed to do more damage and always trigger zed time upon firing if you shout a one-liner into the mic. But that's just me. :rolleyes:

@Sammers
He has a weakness to other explosives, but not the LAW. It can still kill one with fewer shots than any explosive but pipes though...probably why there isn't a weakness to it. :)

Upvote 0
Vintage said:
The M32 is a very nice weapon, but the LAW has an edge when it comes to instantly wrecking blobs, and killing or softening Scrakes/FPs so the team can effortlessly kill them. An M32 has to blow its load to produce the same effect, and then suffer a very long reload time. It also runs out of ammo quickly if you intend on engaging both blobs and big specimens. The LAW can do both and have ammo to spare. Even on 6 man HoEs I find it has enough ammo to last the wave.

Upvote 0
Test it if you want, but the Law hits just about as hard as a Xbow right now. If a SS gets 2 shots on a FP the Demo can shoot a LAW and finish it off. In my previous post I stated I can take one out in 3 shots, so its just about the same damage, so I dont see how its under powered if the Xbow needs a head shot with a lvl 6 SS and the law is AOE and does the same damage with a lvl 6 demo.

Edit: BTW thats in a 6 man HOE.. so no not underpowered

Upvote 0
Test it if you want, but the Law hits just about as hard as a Xbow right now. If a SS gets 2 shots on a FP the Demo can shoot a LAW and finish it off. In my previous post I stated I can take one out in 3 shots, so its just about the same damage, so I dont see how its under powered if the Xbow needs a head shot with a lvl 6 SS and the law is AOE and does the same damage with a lvl 6 demo.

Edit: BTW thats in a 6 man HOE.. so no not underpowered

TESTED just now. Cos I know something's wrong. And I tired to look for the real numbers of zeds.

Xbow dont even close to hitting hard. After 6lv demo LAW direct hit to upper chest (good shot), fp still need 4 xbow head shot from a 6lv sharpshooter to kill. (the last shot can be handcannon head shot tough)

After two xbow head shot from 6lv sharpshooter, LAW from 6lv demo dont kill the pound. you need 1 more granade.

After two good shot of LAW from 6lv demo, fp is downed to around 5% health. Around 30 9mm shots to kill.

After two xbow head shot from 6lv sharpshooter, fp have around 65% health.

(just by looking at the health bar as commando, again, tired to look for real numbers)

Xbow just sucks for pound. Save the arrows for scrakes, husks and sirens is much better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@outofrealman, Anubis_FB
Explosives don't alter head health unless the projectile is a dud. So sure, the law can hit for ~2920 damage but it only subtracts from the total hp, which is 5906, about 2x as much as head health @ 3062. The xbow hits both head health and total health

LoL ghost its kinda amusing how you've become like the Code Guru of Killing Floor xD

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
I know LAW dont do a damn thing to head health. So as soon as I see he says one LAW + two xbow shot killing a fleshpound, i know sth is wrong:p

well it could still be correct, as the xbow shots do corresponding body damage as well (even more, actually, due to the headshot multiplier). If you counted all the damage done by the double headshots, the FP may be weak enough for a rocket to finish off the body health. I don't know for sure if that is possible, just saying there is no reason it couldn't be. :p

Upvote 0
I was playin today and killed a FP in HOE in 3 shots with my Xbow. So if you cant do it in 3 shots you just not hitting the right spot. Ppl who play with me can tell ya. Only good a 4th shot will do is take out the headless body. You can say im wrong all you want, but Im a very successful SS, that has been able to hold back FP as long as I see them coming (Team calls them out). You can despute what I have seen all you want. I dont know the numbers, but I have seen it. 2 of my shots to the head and a Law will drop a FP. Wont even make him wonder around headless and it saves me a bolt

Upvote 0