• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server KFDS - Weird problem with connection

MORDRED

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2010
United States Of Russia
Well, I'm running a dedicated server with different mutators and 30 players. Anyone can connect it without any problems. But after some time, especially when maps were changed twice or more, no one can connect my server, while those who joined the game before, keep playing on the server. It just freezes/hangs on connecting myipadresshere. All that remains in such situation is close running server and launch it again. But It's not an option, cuz it irritates me and people who try to connect.

Here's the piece of the server log
Code:
KFMaxPlayers: Forcing server max players from 6 to 30
Log: Resolved master0.gamespy.com (69.10.30.248)
ScriptLog: UdpGameSpyUplink: Master Server is master0.gamespy.com:27900
ScriptLog: UdpGameSpyUplink: Port 7718 successfully bound.
Log: Resolved tripwireinteractive.com (69.31.134.234)
Localization: No localization: Engine.Progress.RunningNet (rus)
Log: STEAMAUTH : Sending updated server details - INSOMNIA === 20 lvl.perks|30 players|custom specimen|sandbox|hard 0 | 30
Log: STEAMAUTH : Sending updated server details - INSOMNIA === 20 lvl.perks|30 players|custom specimen|sandbox|hard 0 | 30
NetComeGo: Open myLevel 12/09/10 03:46:34 93.177.39.102:64499
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection 93.177.39.102:64499 12/09/10 03:46:43
NetComeGo: Open myLevel 12/09/10 03:46:43 93.177.39.102:64499
NetComeGo: Open myLevel 12/09/10 03:46:59 93.177.39.102:64516
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection 93.177.39.102:64516 12/09/10 03:47:00
NetComeGo: Open myLevel 12/09/10 03:47:00 93.177.39.102:64516
NetComeGo: Open myLevel 12/09/10 03:47:25 93.177.39.102:64518
Localization: No localization: Engine.Progr
When anyone hangs on connecting to the server, I see messages like this one - NetComeGo: Open myLevel 12/09/10 03:47:25 93.177.39.102:64518 -

I checked whether all the ports are opened, and it says stealth. Is it correct? Or I must somehow change my ports status to open? It's weird that just when server is started everyone can connect it, but after a short period of time, no one can connect it. What's wrong...Any ideas plz? :(

Last edited:
Hm, to bad. Still no replies..( I also noticed that only grc.com shows my ports as stealth and when windows firewall is off, it shows that ports are closed. Weird thing is, this port-checking soft from portforward.com always says my ports are open, whether firewall is on or off.

In addition tho this, I suspect that when I'm not in game, other players don't face this problem with connection after few maps were passed. Could it be, that when I join the game I cause these problems, cuz I'm having the same ip as my server?

Upvote 0
Tell us more about your setup and do some basic troubleshooting.

Reduce the player count to see if it's related to load.
Reduce mutators and work up to see if it's related to conflict.
Ask your friend to join the server and see if it's stable over a few map rotations with a lot of players without you in it.

How's your internet connection and PC specifications?

Is anyone else sharing your connection or do you have any other online applications running in the background?

I can't see your server in the server list at the moment. What's your current server name/i.p?

Upvote 0
Tell us more about your setup and do some basic troubleshooting.

Reduce the player count to see if it's related to load.
Reduce mutators and work up to see if it's related to conflict.
Ask your friend to join the server and see if it's stable over a few map rotations with a lot of players without you in it.

How's your internet connection and PC specifications?

Is anyone else sharing your connection or do you have any other online applications running in the background?

I can't see your server in the server list at the moment. What's your current server name/i.p?

Thanks for the reply ;) Sorry I had to shut my server off for a while, to try some stuff. It's on now, the name is INSOMNIA and IP is 93.177.39.102:7707

I tried to reduce players number to original 6 and run server clean, without any mutators, but it doesn't seem to help :( By the way, do I need run my server with KFGameplay and KillingFloorMut? Cuz I'm not shure what are they for!?
I'll ask some friends to connect and play few maps without me, see If it add some clarity.

Well, I have a high-speed DSL internet connection, and It's on day and night.
My PC:

Intel Core i7 (4 cores) 2.80 GHz
6 Gb Ram
Ati Radeon HD 5970 2 Gb
Integrated Realtek network controller (if you need this one)
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition

No one sharing my connection. But there is uTorrent running in the background (almost all the time) As well as Kaspersky Antivirus, controlling most web/internet connections. But I put My server and Killing Floor directories in Allowed list.

By setup you mean killingfloor.ini in my server directory?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
High speed DSL internet connections eh? They may provide you a decent download speed but how about upload speed? That's a very important factor when hosting.

If you're running torrents then that's going to fluctuate traffic flow with spikes. Are you setting up speed restrictions?

You are also hosting custom maps without without using a redirect and they are downloading from your server at a trickle pace. Put them on a redirect location away from the server.

Upvote 0
High speed DSL internet connections eh? They may provide you a decent download speed but how about upload speed? That's a very important factor when hosting.

If you're running torrents then that's going to fluctuate traffic flow with spikes. Are you setting up speed restrictions?

You are also hosting custom maps without without using a redirect and they are downloading from your server at a trickle pace. Put them on a redirect location away from the server.

Well, upload speed seems to be not that high, but even when I use standart maps list, the problem with connection just won't go away.

Yep, I restrict torrents speed considerably. Besides, anyone who played on my server never faced any lags, as they say. But they really download maps at low speed.

Maybe I need to completely shut down utorrent, when server is running!? May it be conflictiong with my server!?

Upvote 0
Well, I tried to run completely clean server with standart settings and 6 players. But still it hanged on connection after a map change. I even asked some people to connect and play few maps without me on the server, they had the same problem, so it's not related to me)

BUT! Intresting thing is - when I shut down my antivirus, and changed several maps, play with people, the problem seems to be gone.
To bad - after the server was restarted the problem has returned!
So I launch the server and left it working whole night long. Today when I woke up and tried to connect It worked just fine. People who was playing on it told me that they haven't faced any problems with connection. So I checked it myself, and - yep, no more hanging on connection!
Could this be my DSL connection speed or server has to work for some hours before it's stabilized!?

Upvote 0
It just needs a little more oil...

For best results you'll need to give the server application unrestricted access to your PC and internet connection:

1. Turn off your antivirus application.
2. Turn off all firewalls.
3. Turn off all background applications (torrents, etc).

You can also check your upload speed while you're at it to see how many players your server can comfortably accommodate.

Reactions: MORDRED
Upvote 0
Hi there, It's me again) Damn, I faced this problem again today...=( Couldn't connect after a map change. I checked almost everything and tried different stuff. Now I'm 99% sure that when I run server, and client then - the connection will hang after a map change. But If I run client in the first place, and then secondly - server - everything is ok. Though I'm still confused and have no clue why I have to run the client first, and only then server. Any ideas?

Upvote 0