• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

BC2 gameplay grows from a first impression of a 'battlefield'-experience to a dumbed down Counterstrike-arcade style of experience since the maps are so confined and players must use their l33t-fps dodge-dodge-strafe-shoot-shoot skills to get the most points.

It's actually alot different than I (or we) am used to of battlefield games. I find the bad company games horrible in the view of the typical battlefield kind of gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got 36h online so far(in total). It was pretty much 25h straight fun, then it was a bit of a struggle due to lack of maps so after some achievement whoring I stopped, now with vietnam I'm back in. If you manage to have a good ping(which is seldom enough) and find a server with equally balanced teams, the game can really be a blast. But if that is not given then it's really often simply a ragefest.

Upvote 0
Ha, I clocked in 225 hours at the moment. It started to become boring after I unlocked everything (around 40-50ish I think?). Though my friends kept me playing after I was disgusted around 120 :D

After a 2 months break, I realised what kind of BC2 monster I had become(damn, I am good :p ) and started playing again with my friends. We've been playing since BC2 as our main FPS. I've always had a weak spot for BF, and BC2 is the most awesome thing happened after I bored myself to death with RO(3 years of extreme playing, I don't want to calculate hours).

About the "ragefest" thingie, first measure to avoid it is the classic "play with your friends" advice. A good 3-man friend squad can tear through 16 of other veteran pubs. If it's hopeless, and the other team also has good teamplayers (couple of squads working together); just quit. Stop wasting your time raging. That's why I stopped playing Vietnam, it's very unbalanced. They changed the pacing and now you're either getting owned awfully, or owning badly.

Also try to avoid 30/32, 31/32 games as that usually means one team is really strong and making the other rage quit :) Find a promising half-empty server and have fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well BF3 is supposed to be a PC exclusive. We'll see if they actually stick to that though.

My friends have pretty much decided that BC2 > Vietnam. Sure, Vietnam takes away all the toys, but in the end it produces the same kind of game play, just at shorter ranges. The levels aren't especially different (just more places for infantry to sneak around) and overall the maps aren't even very Vietnamish. More like, hey, let's throw some trees and rocks and mud in there and call it Vietnam!.

All in all, Vietnam feels like it takes away most of what makes BC2, while replacing it with almost nothing. So Vietnam is like a purist BC2 experience.....not that the game even really needs it.

Upvote 0
Well BF3 is supposed to be a PC exclusive. We'll see if they actually stick to that though.

Sadly it's not and hasn't been since they announced the beta that comes with MoH:

EA said:
BATTLEFIELD 3 BETA DETAILS

Beta offer is contingent on Beta availability within 12 months of Medal of Honor release. Beta will be available for a limited time only and offer expires upon close of Beta events. Participation in Beta requires acceptance of Beta Agreement. Must be 18+. Xbox GOLD membership required for Xbox users. Visit www.ea.com/beta for details, including availability.

As far as BC2>Vietnam. The gadgest don't make the game. The chaos and constant stream of "goddam!" moments plus the awesome destruction system make the game. Vietnam still has all that. Not that BC2 is inferior but I'm having more fun with the heavier focus on infantry and the Nam setting.

Upvote 0
I guess I was just hoping for more, instead I feel like I'm getting less playing Vietnam. Which would be ok with me, if I felt like the maps were really interesting. Don't even know the name, but there's this one where you have a capture point, a sniper roost directly above it that has to be accessed from the other side of a mountain, a main road leading in flanked by two hills that infantry can crawl over, and then a big damn open field on the rest of it's flank.

The dance goes: defenders pile up behind "the rock", lob grenades up into the sniper spot, while the attackers just camp the two hills flanking the incoming road, snipe anyone that sticks their head out and just dumps grenades and m79 rounds into the point.

I was expecting dense jungles, lots of greenier to blow up, river valleys, night maps, all that jazz. Vietnam has precious little of any of that. The more I play, the more I feel like Vietnam is just another rendition of Laguna Presa or Isla Innocentes, with different skins and more mud.

And as for BC3....DICE, I am unsurprised, but still, I am disappoint. I didn't figure the PC exclusive decision would survive EA's profit expectations, but I was hoping.

Upvote 0
I guess I was just hoping for more, instead I feel like I'm getting less playing Vietnam. Which would be ok with me, if I felt like the maps were really interesting. Don't even know the name, but there's this one where you have a capture point, a sniper roost directly above it that has to be accessed from the other side of a mountain, a main road leading in flanked by two hills that infantry can crawl over, and then a big damn open field on the rest of it's flank.

The dance goes: defenders pile up behind "the rock", lob grenades up into the sniper spot, while the attackers just camp the two hills flanking the incoming road, snipe anyone that sticks their head out and just dumps grenades and m79 rounds into the point.

I was expecting dense jungles, lots of greenier to blow up, river valleys, night maps, all that jazz. Vietnam has precious little of any of that. The more I play, the more I feel like Vietnam is just another rendition of Laguna Presa or Isla Innocentes, with different skins and more mud.

And as for BC3....DICE, I am unsurprised, but still, I am disappoint. I didn't figure the PC exclusive decision would survive EA's profit expectations, but I was hoping.

Haha I was like ehhh don't really know which one hes talking about until you said "the rock" and described how every single match begins with that map. I do agree with you completely here. I expected the same type of maps you did and you are correct, there's not too much that makes them Vietnam-y.

Still, as a big infantry fan I think they do a good job of forcing the battles to be as intense as possible. Often that means incredibly chaotic gunfights that result in massive spam of everything that can possibly be fired but I enjoy that. I enjoy having a difficult time focusing while everything blows up around me and I'm just firing my AK at shadowy figures through the haze. Or merely ducking behind cover and throwing out supplies to all the men and firing off the random m79 grenade and hoping for a hit. Because eventually that chaos breaks and then you have a massive sprawl to rush forward and cap the objectives while taking quick shots and ducking in and out of cover and it's a ****ing blast.

So in short, there should have been more variety in the maps with a more Vietnam-esque feel and greater freedom of movement BUT the ones that are there are adrenaline pumping blasts of awesome.

Upvote 0
61 million so far, more than 360+ps3 combined. But I suppose that doesn't reflect the real sales numbers but just shows that PC gamers stick longer to a game. In any case, it should be pretty obvious to DICE that PC players should be top priority. Not like they would recognize that though. But we'll see how their future games turn out.
Playing time per se on the PC does not make DICE any money. I would imagine (but don't know) that they may get a cut of the Microsoft subscription fees. I don't know what kind of cut they get from GSP's.

A common mis-conception of Vietnam was that it was all jungle fighting. From the couple of times I've played, it appeared to me that most of the battles appear to take place around forward firebases. The area around those firebases were purposely cleared of vegetation. Don't forget too that Agent Orange was used extensively. No point in going into a fire fight with the enemy already having the upperhand (ie the jungle).

Some pics of the firebases that the D 2/501, 101st Airborne Division were involved with : http://www.blackied2501.com/firebases.htm

Upvote 0
I admit I'm running on some Hollywood Vietnam expectations, but Oliver Stone was in Vietnam so I kind of expect what I see in Platoon. Sure, they have fire bases with 1/2 mile of deforestation on every side. But the VC had jungle bases too. Marines did night patrols outside the wire. There were many different options they could have used in map design that they didn't. Realistic? On some level. Interesting, for a game, compared to say Atacama Desert....which is essentially a town as a fire base, surrounded by almost zero cover? Not so much. They got plenty of the scorched earth look....just not enough of the jungles. I assume it's because a pure jungle level would have been murder on people's systems.

Upvote 0
I'm quite sure this is a large part of the reason. My only point was that just because it doesn't have dense jungle combat doesn't make it any less Vietnam-ish.

I don't know how much of an impact a jungle scenario would have on performance. All maps seem to run at the same performance level for me so it seems that a jungle map would be doable. It's probably more that a jungle scenario would end up being like a deathmatch cluster**** in this game. It's already chaotic so if you throw in massive vegetation where you can't see anyone you would never know what the hell is going on. I wish they woulda tried at least one though.

Upvote 0
Maybe that's at least ONE of the unlocked maps.

Personally, I think it would be cool to follow tanks into the bush, hide in the vegetation off the natural paths people have carved into the jungle. That's one thing I do like about BC2: the before and after effect of terrain. An infantry cluster****? Wasn't that at least part and parcel of Vietnam? :p

That's what I was expecting from the expansion.

Upvote 0
An infantry cluster****? Wasn't that at least part and parcel of Vietnam? :p

That's what I was expecting from the expansion.

It just needs to be done a certain way. Like if it's just an open flat jungle it will be a complete mess with people roaming in any direction. For it to work in BC2 the terrain should guide the players like a rough path with elevation changes and the occasional field or rice patty and small stream. That could end up being very fun and tense.

I'd also like to see an Apocalypse Now type river scenario where you have to navigate the waters on patrol boats then get out and have a night time jungle fight with tracers and fires glowing everywhere.

If only there was custom map support...

Upvote 0