• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Snipers for all

Cos ever since I've played RO back in the ut2003 mod days, sniper rifles have always been hilariously easy to kill with. Sure snipers rarely top the score boards... but that's only because they spend less time giving mg's ammo and getting in cap zones.

This is more of a problem with people's lack of common sense regarding concealment of your current position. How many times you've wanted to say in sarcastic manner "obvious place is obvious" when you take down the same MG'er or sniper for the umpteenth time? Sure with snipers it's sometimes bit difficult to figure out reasonable, more improvised locations but with MG it's pretty damm easy.

Upvote 0
This is more of a problem with people's lack of common sense regarding concealment of your current position. How many times you've wanted to say in sarcastic manner "obvious place is obvious" when you take down the same MG'er or sniper for the umpteenth time? Sure with snipers it's sometimes bit difficult to figure out reasonable, more improvised locations but with MG it's pretty damm easy.

Haha, yeah, I'm telling myself every time I die as a MGer that it's not a good idea to get back to the same place I've been shot a few seconds ago, but... there're just some reaalllly great mg positions, where I can just mow down enemy infantry, that I can't resist going back and getting killed after the first tracer goes down the barrel :D

Upvote 0
Damn, I expected flammable material. I was dissapointed.

In response to your suggestion, though, I think TWI has it worked out so that the higher-ranked players get the class first. IMO I really think they ought to track a person's stats with that class, so that a veteran player who has had little luck sniping won't necessarily have the class open to them before a newer player who's done quite well as a sniper in the past. Maybe TWI is already doing that though. I don't know.

Upvote 0
Sniping in RO is not just being riflemen +1, it is a difficult specialty that's only for those with patience.

I'd rather whoever is the best sniper be the sniper.

For the most part, I actually prefer rifleman....

the ironsights are superior for almost all ranges in which you engage a target in Ost. The one problem I have is with snipers clipping so that barely any of their body is exposed, but HoS will fix that with weapon collision. Now, snipers will actually have to expose slightly more of their body due to the fact that their line of sight is situated at a higher position on the rifle...

and thus snipers will be visible enough where you can see them with ironsights.

This will be further aided by the FOV zoom.

And, of course, as Tripwire mentions, they're marksmen, not snipers, which is why more than likely the ranges of engagement will be well within the capability of a sharp-eyed rifleman (with a high display resolution and anti-aliasing, lols).

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
For the most part, I actually prefer rifleman....

the ironsights are superior for almost all ranges in which you engage a target in Ost. The one problem I have is with snipers clipping so that barely any of their body is exposed, but HoS will fix that with weapon collision. Now, snipers will actually have to expose slightly more of their body due to the fact that their line of sight is situated at a higher position on the rifle...

and thus snipers will be visible enough where you can see them with ironsights.

This will be further aided by the FOV zoom.

And, of course, as Tripwire mentions, they're marksmen, not snipers, which is why more than likely the ranges of engagement will be well within the capability of a sharp-eyed rifleman (with a high display resolution and anti-aliasing, lols).

I believe it will be hard hitting someone as a regular riflemen once the long range maps appear though, and this is where the sniper will shine.

But in general a sniper should also have an easier time spotting someone far away than the regular rifleman, with the slight zoom or not.

Upvote 0
the iron sight on teh sniper are going to make it a lot easyer to shoot clsoe range, but, hopeully when you click the aim button, it first goes to scoped, then when you click/press/scroll you get hte iron sights. so it taneks 2 times longer just to get teh sights up....AKA iron only has the kill!

and it should be tracked threw skill with the sniper. some one can hold a bridge with a mg and get 500 kills, but compleatly suck with something thats not full auto and has a belt of 500 rounds!

and a sniper is a POWERFULL player. he was back in ww1, and he still is in the moderen crap hole of a war were in now. when your buddys head explodes and the nearist thign to hid behind is 500+ yeards away, you will get the hell down, and stay down.

snipers were just fine back in RO1. i thing the 2 pixle to teh left, 2 to teh right needs to be fixed so iron rifles can actually shoot back.

and the m1C/D versions of teh m1 garand did allow you to look threw a scope or the iron sights, both being deadly accurate.

as for power, any rifle round i have used------30-30, 308, 270, and my favorites teh 45' kar 98 8mm, and my 43' M1 30-06 will drop a deep at 500 yards. yes even teh 30-30 will kill at that range, jsut have to hit the bugger!

go out with your 22 long rifle and shoto a block of clay. see teh BIG hole in it, that hole reprezents teh ammount of hamburger tahts now your heart, lungs, liver, and guts. 30 cal rounds to teh body are devestating!

1 shot to head, center of mass, 2 to teh legs/arms and your done. as for maching pistol/SMG rounds 1 to teh head, 2 to the chest, 2 to teh arms and your done. thats realistic, but mabey not ballanced as the SMG would jsut sprey your arm off!

Upvote 0