• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where the hell is map scaling?

Undedd Jester

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
Sheffield, England
You may have to pardon a slight rage here, this seems to happen alot for me, and it really grinds my teeth.

What on earth happened to that idea for map scaling based on the number of players in the server? You know that idea where the playable area would be restricted by mine fields, boarded up windows/doors, commanders shouting "Fall back in line traitor or you shall be shot!" and such to make the game more enjoyable for servers with fewer numbers of players

It was quoted here in this video a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wkk3SiywLHI

Look at 7.15 - 8.20 : Playable area scaling to team sizes

In depth description in spoiler:
Spoiler!

Countdown works, because the focus is very much on the objectives due to the single lives. People can't afford to ruun out into no mans land away from the objective to try and catch people off guard, if they try and fail to get to their "Spot" they can't just respawn and try again, they are simply out, end of, the reward isn't worth the risk. In other game modes with small players however a player can keep going for it, and severely impair any kind of attack the other team can manage because half the team will be dead before anyone knows they are there. Usually they will only encounter 1 on 1 situations as well, and since they have the advantage of terrain, they become very hard to kill.

The idea above was a quality idea, a good solution to this very frustrating problem. It was one of the numerrous reasons I bought the game. ROHoS has loads of great features, and deserves to be recognised as the quality game it is. But this feature I feel is a bloody important one for the sake of its longevity.

I hope there is a plan to introduce it, cause right now its a total pain in the hole.

Last edited:
Might as well put this here: LET US SEE THE OUTLINE OF THE PROTECTED AREA!

Seriously, it's beyond rage inducing when you find out you're running afoul of the protected area. There are no indications that it's changed, you have to know what it is in relation to the current cap control distribution.

Sometimes, it just seems wholly punitive. Like Pavlov's House, when the Russians control Zab's. An entire open section of the map, perfect for flanking the next objective, is in a protected area, while the whole German team pushes through that area. I wouldn't even mind that particular bit of balance, but I at least need to SEE it to UNDERSTAND it.

So please. Maybe put a slowly pulsing grey/black border for the protected area, or a cross hatch graphic that goes on the main map screen. The battlefield often doesn't make sense without that important piece of context!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Might as well put this here: LET US SEE THE OUTLINE OF THE PROTECTED AREA!

Seriously, it's beyond rage inducing when you find out you're running afoul of the protected area. There are no indications that it's changed, you have to know what it is in relation to the current cap control distribution.

Sometimes, it just seems wholly punitive. Like Pavlov's House, when the Russians control Zab's. An entire open section of the map, perfect for flanking the next objective, is in a protected area, while the whole German team pushes through that area. I wouldn't even mind that particular bit of balance, but I at least need to SEE it to UNDERSTAND it.

So please. Maybe put a slowly pulsing grey/black border for the protected area, or a cross hatch graphic that goes on the main map screen. The battlefield often doesn't make sense without that important piece of context!

This so much please.

Upvote 0
Yes please add some sort of graphical indicator of WHERE these damn invisible killing machine borders are ... It is so frustrating to try and flank people and then all of a sudden EXPLODE, then the god damned warning thing shows up after I've already flown into 100 pieces of flesh and guts. Only SOMETIMES does it give me a warning and let me run away and survive, most of the time it just blows my body up then says "oh hey warning this area is like totally bad for your health, guess I should of mentioned that before you exploded"

Upvote 0
As I stated in two other threads before about the protected area.
Please let it make a sound!

I never check the minimap (find it next to useless) and I never see the 'Warning' text on screen. So please let it have a sound like the 'YOU"RE A TRAITOR blablabla' warning.

It will kill me, so don't be too subtle!!

Realizing that's hugely offtopic btw.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Might as well put this here: LET US SEE THE OUTLINE OF THE PROTECTED AREA!QUOTE]

Good point, on the mini-map would do fine..

You already have it on your map.

Just a quick FYI; If you work with your team, there is very little reason for anyone to be outside of the protected area.

1. Your tactical view tells you the next objective. There should be no reason to go elsewhere.

2. If you are camping around the outskirts, to snipe or sneak around, I have no sympathy for you, you are the rest of the team that does not push to the objective causing a loss for the whole team. You should Die often out there in no mans land.

3. If you rush to far forward you are running into the other teams spawn, from experience, nothing is more annoying than dying right out of spawn. Those protected areas keep it a bit more fair, so as to avoid the fish in a barrel syndrome that you find in many FPS games.

4. This is a bit more realistic of a game, sure they could have put up lines to show you were you could not go, but then you run into those players that will skirt on the edge of borders, those looking for kills and providing no help for their team.

Reactions: Echo Black
Upvote 0

Just a quick FYI; If you work with your team, there is very little reason for anyone to be outside of the protected area.

1. Your tactical view tells you the next objective. There should be no reason to go elsewhere.

I'm sorry but this is stupid. Take Pavlovs, you play allied, got Zabs house. Now do you expect EVERYONE to go to the Square?

I guess you do. And thats why allies loses that map 9 times out of 10.

Russians cannot protect Zabs house by being in it (the whole damn side of the building facing the germans is blown away!). The only way to protect Zabs house is by routing the germans in E and guess what - that is PROTECTED AREA.

Or do you expect to snipe of the germans when they have cover and you dont?

Upvote 0
Really?

I just hopped into game to snap this pic, on Barracks.

Where does it show the protected area?

This is my ghetto paint example of how it could look to really help explain to players immediately where they can and cannot go.

I've seriously looked for indicators of the protected area elsewhere, and I haven't seen it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sorry but this is stupid. Take Pavlovs, you play allied, got Zabs house. Now do you expect EVERYONE to go to the Square?

I guess you do. And thats why allies loses that map 9 times out of 10.

Russians cannot protect Zabs house by being in it (the whole damn side of the building facing the germans is blown away!). The only way to protect Zabs house is by routing the germans in E and guess what - that is PROTECTED AREA.

Or do you expect to snipe of the germans when they have cover and you dont?

I've noticed this protection area too, and already put it in our bug report system. That area protection ruins russian assaults.

Upvote 0