• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

n00b here so could use some enlightenment ...

Muhad

Mar 6, 2006
Do I understand correctly that this RO mod is for UT2004?
I downloaded the mod and was wondering if I need a KEY for it?
Are we going to have to pay for this mod?
Is this mod considered a tactical mod similar to Ravenshield?
If you have been playing this mod, how is it?

Thanks for any input.:cool:

There is a mod for UT2k3&4. This is the site for the new, upcoming, stand-alone release. The standalone is a... re-mix of the original. Same core gameplay, with better.... everything. The mod is more of a "Realistic War Simulator" then a tac mod. One hit kills with most guns, iron sights only, and aparently arty that turns you into a red puff.

The devs just held a semi-small beta hand out, so check the forums fo lots of reports interspursed with "OMG I gotz a Key," and "TW Suxxors, i didnt get a key!"

(I dont understand how I'm able to write this after finding out that all my beta attempts were in vain as well... :'( )

Upvote 0
Red orchestra Combined Arms is a mod for UT2004 and you only need a key for UT2004 which i imagine you already have to installed UT2004.
Red Orchestra Ostfront is the game that is being released by the same makers of the mod which can be bought and preloaded from Steam and i believe there will be a box version eventually.
[)z(]Protector

Upvote 0
Muhad said:
I downloaded the mod and was wondering if I need a KEY for it?

Thanks for any input.:cool:

Firstly, most of the answers you seek are in the FAQ.

Secondly, here are some answers anyway. :p

There is two versions of RO;
1. Red Orchestra: Combined Arms - is a free modification for UT2k4.
2. Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 - is a standalone retail game.
Ostfront is evolved from the mod, and improves on it beyond measure. It also doesn't require UT2k4, but does require you to buy it.

The mod remains free. RO:O is a full commercial title, that you do have to pay for.

Not sure what you mean.

The mod is great. The full game will be simply amazing.

Upvote 0
Muhad said:
I will answer this as best i can since teh question is not all that clear, YES Red Orchestra is very tactical. As in it requires tactics to win... Also if you think Ravensheild is a realistic and tactical game prepare to have your head explode because Ostfront is so far and above it a comparison does not even make sense.:D

Upvote 0
The End said:
Firstly, most of the answers you seek are in the FAQ.

Secondly, here are some answers anyway. :p

There is two versions of RO;
1. Red Orchestra: Combined Arms - is a free modification for UT2k4.
2. Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 - is a standalone retail game.
Ostfront is evolved from the mod, and improves on it beyond measure. It also doesn't require UT2k4, but does require you to buy it.

The mod remains free. RO:O is a full commercial title, that you do have to pay for.

Not sure what you mean.

The mod is great. The full game will be simply amazing.

OK, got it! I did search around the forum but some posts just cause confusion.

So there are two mods (free) and a planned full stand-alone release ($).
Sounds great!

By tactical mod I meant realistic; I now know RO is pretty darn realistic.

Is there a release date for the full stand-alone release?

I do have UT2003, so is it worth trying the mod now or waiting for the full release?

Is there much difference between the UT2003 and UT2004 mods?
I don't want to shell out $ for UT2004.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
just a few things there was the UT2003 RO mod but they went to the UT2004 engine (upgraded version of the 2003 engine) to take advantages of some new features. The mod is up to version 3.3 and won the make something unreal contest giving them a copy of the UT2004 engine. So now they are releasing Red Orchestra OstFront 1941-1945. It is not a mod but a full game. This means all the content, art, animations, graphical uprades and new features have been added. Its better to think of it in terms of a sequel to another game. So you have one game with some great features and then they release a sequel that improves and expands that same goodness.

As far as realism thats what ROOST is built on, there is no announced release date other then that it will be out this month in March. To buy it you can use steam and play the same day its release, steam involves downloading a freeprogram and paying for it with a credit card then per-loading the game which will be unlocked when its offically release or waiting for a stores release but no word on when that is coming, should be around the same time as the steam release.

www.steampowered.com

Upvote 0
Muhad said:
Buggers! lololol

Oh well, maybe I will fork out some $ for UT2004 to hold me over till the full release. If I can find UT2004 reasonably cheap.

If I download the STEAM version will I be able to play and will I need some sort of beta key?

Thanks.

No, even if you buy and download on steam you wont be able to play until its released, (probably less than 3 weeks)

There is a limited, invite only beta version, but they wont give any more people that..

The mod for UT2k4 is still free, but you might be better of waiting for the game, only a few weeks away.

Upvote 0