• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Good cheap video card?

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
I'm still running on my old Geforce 7900 GS, which, even in DH, is lacking (only get like 30-40 FPS consistently on 1024x768!)

So I'm looking for a cheap mid range card to tide me over till I can get something real fancy for ROHOS... two games I have in mind are ARMA 2 (still not sure if I want to buy it...) and BFBC2 (which I'm pretty sure about). I don't need to play the latter on maxed out or anything, but I'd like a card that can handle medium settings on 1280 res.

Any suggestions?

Ideally something not more or much more than $100.

Also, not a hardware geek at all so I'm too knowledgeable about this, but is there a problem with bottlenecking since I'm running on a fairly old 6400 Intel Core Duo @ 2.13ghz and only have 2 gigs of ram? Should I be more concerned about upgrading my RAM or CPU than my video card?

thanks

Upvote 0
The HD 4870 1GB is indeed a great card, not sure about an open box though.

As for ArmA 2, that kills my GTX 260, 4GB RAM, and AMD 9950 quad core at max settings. And really kills it. But it will run if you lower the settings.

Your CPU will be fine to. Do you have Vista/Win 7 64bit? If so, I'd also get another 2GB of RAM. If XP/32bit, then maybe upgrade to 3GB.

Upvote 0
I'm still running on my old Geforce 7900 GS, which, even in DH, is lacking (only get like 30-40 FPS consistently on 1024x768!)

So I'm looking for a cheap mid range card to tide me over till I can get something real fancy for ROHOS... two games I have in mind are ARMA 2 (still not sure if I want to buy it...) and BFBC2 (which I'm pretty sure about). I don't need to play the latter on maxed out or anything, but I'd like a card that can handle medium settings on 1280 res.

Any suggestions?

Ideally something not more or much more than $100.

Also, not a hardware geek at all so I'm too knowledgeable about this, but is there a problem with bottlenecking since I'm running on a fairly old 6400 Intel Core Duo @ 2.13ghz and only have 2 gigs of ram? Should I be more concerned about upgrading my RAM or CPU than my video card?

thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131163&cm_re=4850-_-14-131-163-_-Product

Touch faster than a 8800GTX which will be more than twice as fast as a 7900GS and it fits your budget.

Upvote 0
Wow Pete, what a deal, getting it now!! thanks!

Now I just need to get a PSU powerful enough to support it and one that has the necessary connectors... any suggestions?

i suggest to get an modular one for ease of handling.

If you find silence important then look here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

i personally got a Seasonic M12D 850W. Its very silent, infact currently the loudest part of my computer is my cpu fan.

Upvote 0
Wow Pete, what a deal, getting it now!! thanks!

Now I just need to get a PSU powerful enough to support it and one that has the necessary connectors... any suggestions?

Try it on the old PSU first would be my advice as well (there's adapters for most connectors, sometimes they ship them with the gfx card even). I'm running a 4870 on a fairly old and weak PSU just fine.

Upvote 0
Try it on the old PSU first would be my advice as well (there's adapters for most connectors, sometimes they ship them with the gfx card even). I'm running a 4870 on a fairly old and weak PSU just fine.
Exactly, the newer generation ATI hardware is made for lower power usage, lower thermal design power and much lower idle power usage.

You might want to buy one of those when the price goes down (availability problems atm causing high pricing), it'll also make your PC a tad more futureproof.

Upvote 0