• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Trillions of bug messages on console + LAG

duckcs

Dec 6, 2011
Brazil
I'm having a big problem with my servers...

Everyone is happy with pings around 30~70, when all of a sudden, everyone get pings like 250~500. This is not a network issue, my upload is fine, no programs opened, no uploading files or something like that. It happens randomly, and usually happens when there's like a trillion zeds firing in all directions chasing players, the usual "round-up" survival strategy, it just lags like hell

Coincidence or NOT (I think it's not coincidence), trillions of error messages pops up in the server console, I think this is directly involved with the lag.

Both servers were coincidentally running the new Moonbase map when I took the screenshot, but many of these errors appears in all maps, not only moon:

Server 1:
2nu2kxd.jpg

Server 2:
120p9py.jpg

Are these errors normal? Any recommended troubleshooting or fix?

thanks ;D

Mutators:
Kill Messages V2

Last edited:
Agreed. Bought +4GB RAM today. My motherboard has a bad ram slot though, so I still couldn't use it.

Run memory test on your RAM. Faulty hardware could be the cause of errors like that.

Kill Messages V2
Anti-Blocker

Neither one of those mutators should be resource hogs.

Ah thats bad luck, i'd seriously consider not running servers yourself, or at least only 1, things like a map change could seriously hurt your performance.

Doubtful. My dedicated server has 4GB of RAM as well and I host 7 Killing Floor servers, 4 Left 4 Dead servers, 3 Unreal Tournament Servers, 1 Counter Strike Source Server, 1 TeamSpeak3 server, FTP server, Apache Web server hosting ~20 web sites including free public redirects for all the Unreal games plus Killing Floor, not to mention around 1TB worth of files hosted for games.

I'm about to run a test on my Windows box, I know Linux probably handles memory a lot better than Windows, but I do not see 4GB being a limiting point for 2 - 3 Killing Floor servers + Killing Floor Client. :eek:

Under Windows 7 Professional w/ 12GB DDR3 1333 RAM I am reporting the following:

SteamCMD is reporting between 85,000K and 89,000K of memory while it downloads the server files.
Steam's client is showing 136,xxxK steady of memory while SteamCMD is doing it's thing.
CMD is reporting 1,364K while SteamCMD is running.
Vanilla server with no one on it running KF-bioticslab, 140,724K currently. Not moving much if at all.
KillingFloor loaded with game minimized connecting to the LAN server 376,056K.
UCC.exe is now reporting 141,756K.

Started the game and minimized it again; 583,400K
UCC.exe is at 142,216K

Died;
Game Client peeked around the 650,000K mark.
Server holding steady at the 142,000K mark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Writing entries to log takes a comparingly long time, so massive log spams at the same time can cause annoying micro-lags.
Furthermore, they spoil the log file and thus make debugging harder. Some of them are just lame, because TWI forgot to comment out some code-lines meant for debugging. Accessed None warnings could also be avoided quite easily. Again, lame programming... :(

Upvote 0