• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Jack in the box movement

Nagels

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2006
West Cork, Ireland
Anyone else get peeved with the rapid peek and shoot movement?

Its realistic yes, but the speed isn't.

Seen quite a few players popping up and down behind cover at a speed that's just not real.

How about slowing down the speed at which you can crouch and go vertical as opposed to the nanosecond it takes now?

Just wish him to the cornfield....
It'll be a good day when we can do that.;)

I suppose the prairie dogging isn't very realistic but it's never bothered me much. I usually aim at the spot where they popped up and fire at the first sign of movement. Sometimes I just fire to let them know they've been spotted and are being targeted. And I usually move a little to one side or the other every time they pop up so they have a hard time targeting me.

Upvote 0
hell, im a jack in the box lol, thats a new nickname for me!:p
SiC in the box! :p

anyway ;) i can do this just as fast in real life, ive tried. but maybe with this speed you cant keep your sights aligned, and since ive got no weapon here i cant test that.
but, maybe add like 1 sec to realign the sights while doing this? not sure about this, just a quick idea

Upvote 0

anyway ;) i can do this just as fast in real life, ive tried. but maybe with this speed you cant keep your sights aligned, and since ive got no weapon here i cant test that.
but, maybe add like 1 sec to realign the sights while doing this? not sure about this, just a quick idea

See, try doing it while aiming an 8 pound rifle.

Never mind the fact that in real life you could aim straight at the cover while you're standing next to it... ;)

Upvote 0
There was a bullet penetration mod but afaik the bullets would even go through a concrete bunker. If it would be done right I think it would take too much power and produce lag.

The bullets dont penetrate bunkers, the penetration is worked out rather nicely. Trouble is only one server runs it. Some people complained of lag with the mutator, while others didn't have any issues. Shame it wasn't followed up really, it added so much to the game.

Upvote 0
The jack in the box rifleman is another argument for the introduction of sight misalingment, ie. under certain conditions your sights are thrown out of whack and there's a delay while your character realigns them. This should occur;

- When aiming and turning really fast.
- When aiming and turning past the point where your character shifts stance.
- When aiming and transitioning stance (ie. from crouched to standing and vice versa).
- Possibly when aiming and taking non lethal hits from bullets/explosions (accompanied with another effect).

It doesn't have to be a huge delay, it will be like half a second at most and you can shoot while the sights aren't lined up albeit without precise accuracy (ie. you could still hit a standing man at short ranges like you can now when walking in IS).

The bullets dont penetrate bunkers, the penetration is worked out rather nicely. Trouble is only one server runs it. Some people complained of lag with the mutator, while others didn't have any issues. Shame it wasn't followed up really, it added so much to the game.
One of the Australian servers is running it and it has a lot of issues. Foremost is it stresses your system and the server more than usual, I notice at least a 10% difference in framerate between the same map with and without it. May not sound like a lot but combine that with a heavy map and it could be the straw that breaks the camels back performance wise.

There are also technical problems, like one sided penetration, eg. I can shoot through this wall from inside this building but from the outside my bullets don't penetrate the same wall.

Also a lot of people are noticing a sharp increase in the old missing bullet phenomena in this server. My guess is some get dropped when the server is under too much stress from the muty. I have had my fair share of aiming a boltie at that prone guy 4 feet away and firing with him swallowing my sights to no effect. Also sometimes there's a massive bullet delay even with a ping of 40, very rare but you shoot and literally 5 seconds later you see the shot hit home.

At this stage I relegate this muty to nice but really shows that the engine is at its limits and why TWI never supported penetration natively.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone else get peeved with the rapid peek and shoot movement?

Its realistic yes, but the speed isn't.

Seen quite a few players popping up and down behind cover at a speed that's just not real.

How about slowing down the speed at which you can crouch and go vertical as opposed to the nanosecond it takes now?

There is nothing wrong or unrealistic about the rapid popping up and down or behind cover. You'd easily be able to do it in real life. I think the thing that makes it a bit "WTF" is the fact that the gun you are carrying stays in position as you bob up and down against that windowsill/box/wall. The barrel moving through the wall or whatever as if it's in some other dimension LOL.

WHen ducking, the gun should have to be moved so as not to collide with the wall so that when you rapidly pop up, the gun isn't already up as well, you'd have to re-aim it and point the barrel towards the target. I know I can duck down fast in real life, but if I have a rifle propped up against a windowsill I'm going to have to lift it and pull it down cause it isn't going to plough a cut through the wood as I duck.

Upvote 0
YA... its not so much the speed that gets me killed..... its the god damn bull**** leaning that occurs nonstop and 9 times outa 10 there is no way to avoid dieing...

Because no matter what that ****ing pixel will always kill ya...

WE NEED WEAPON COLLISION, AND LEANING FIXED! :D
Agreed, and what people said before about bracing against the wall.

Upvote 0

2-3 seconds... Remember you first need to align your rife, then you have to find the target. aim and shoot.

perhaps... moving the sight abit away from the spot where the middle of your screen was when you hit the IS button as with the shooting from hip thing? So it represents the "you dont automaticly aim at what you focus on when you lift your rife to your shoulder?

Last edited:
Upvote 0