• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Friendly Fire

Waryn

Dec 25, 2010
How do I detect/find friendly fire servers?

After playing it once by accident it feels stupid to play without it, like it's a downgrade.

As you may have noticed favoriting servers doesn't work, I must have favorited dozens and not one does appear under server browser menu option for favorites.

Why can't you hear the helicopter sound when online but you can hear it when you are playing solo?

If you have multiple commandos in a squad is the zed-time triggering calculated individually or does it compensate for the number of commandos?

And advice for those that get frozen when entering a game, which happens to me all the time, just open console and type reconnect twice, it works every time. You don't have to wait to get frozen, just type it immediately upon entering any server.

Reactions: 9_6 and Spoony
It will either say in the title or when you select a server it's displayed in the bottom left status window.

After playing it once by accident it feels stupid to play without it, like it's a downgrade.
No comment.

As you may have noticed favoriting servers doesn't work, I must have favorited dozens and not one does appear under server browser menu option for favorites.
Check your filters, if they still don't show they are either full or not running.

Why can't you hear the helicopter sound when online but you can hear it when you are playing solo?
I don't know. Much less care tbh.

If you have multiple commandos in a squad is the zed-time triggering calculated individually or does it compensate for the number of commandos?
Zed time in my experiance is random, and commandos/zerkers can only extended it so far.

Upvote 0
I don't like friendly fire. It makes 90% of weapons and tactics terrible and bottlenecks your team into playing in a very boring repetitive fashion.
Pretty much. A lot of why I enjoy KF so much is because you're not held back by silly concepts like FF and instead can simply fire a LAW Rocket or Grenade or Shotgun blast at a teammate and clear everything off them, instead of being scared that you'll instantly kill them and therefore go off on your own.

Upvote 0
I was playing yesterday and my friend asked me if friendly fire was on. I took out my crossbow and shot him. It was on. Funny thing is he exploded when I shot him. Must have been a special mutator on because I've never seen anything explode from a crossbow bolt and the zeds didn't explode when I hit them with it either. Then that same round (I somehow forgot ff was on) another friend was swarmed by clots. I told him "Don't worry I'm nading you to get them off you" to which he replied calmy "You idiot" as he exploded. Then we found a new server.

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
I was playing yesterday and my friend asked me if friendly fire was on. I took out my crossbow and shot him. It was on. Funny thing is he exploded when I shot him. Must have been a special mutator on because I've never seen anything explode from a crossbow bolt and the zeds didn't explode when I hit them with it either. Then that same round (I somehow forgot ff was on) another friend was swarmed by clots. I told him "Don't worry I'm nading you to get them off you" to which he replied calmy "You idiot" as he exploded. Then we found a new server.

I wish Zeds exploded from crossbow bolts.

Upvote 0
I don't like friendly fire. It makes 90% of weapons and tactics terrible and bottlenecks your team into playing in a very boring repetitive fashion.

dude.jpg

Well that's like... your opinion, man.

:p

Seriously though, I like FF myself, and I like noFF. They're both fun. FF forces you to think before you shoot and employ a lot of tactics into weapons use rather than doing stuff like spraying fire all over your teammates to kill crawlers on them.

Upvote 0

And advice for those that get frozen when entering a game, which happens to me all the time, just open console and type reconnect twice, it works every time. You don't have to wait to get frozen, just type it immediately upon entering any server.

Its pretty easy to avoid friendly fire servers. Just don't join empty servers. Friendly fire servers are usually devoid of players because friendly fire in this game is an absolutely absurd idea.

Upvote 0
I was playing yesterday and my friend asked me if friendly fire was on. I took out my crossbow and shot him. It was on. Funny thing is he exploded when I shot him. Must have been a special mutator on because I've never seen anything explode from a crossbow bolt and the zeds didn't explode when I hit them with it either.

This is why I don't play friendly fire servers; I am guaranteed at least one death due to friendly fire, even if I don't wound anyone else. One time I headshot a guy with an LAR on Office, and everyone got pissed off despite the fact there was no indication of friendly fire in the MOTD, server title, or anything. He claimed that he informed me over his mic when I joined the server.

I take around 10 seconds to load a map after the "player has joined" message.

Also your friend probably exploded because the bow does (did?) 300 damage in one body shot. Players have less health than a clot on most difficulties - it's just that zombies do very little damage in the way of numbers. Maybe 5% friendly fire is acceptable, unperked. Hell, I ran a player vs player server at 12.5%, where a lot of things killed you in around 2 headshots. A lot higher to be realistic or train yourself not to hit players makes sense, but 100% is ****ing stupid in every way.

Upvote 0

Yup. Not to mention that unavoidable accidents can utterly screw a team doing well. A bad grenade bounce can near-kill and disorient a team enough to easily have 'em wipe on most higher levels.

Upvote 0
The random headshot, or the grenade thrown badly that's what I love about it. It adds realism and a serious dose of it. Funny how people play one game like RO with friendly fire but then doth protest too much when it's in Killing Floor. Even when it all ends in a horrible disaster I love that as well. How you can go from a good group to one mistake and then the whole thing goes down the swany instantly. You just have to laugh when that happens. Remember that's why real men play friendly fire.

Reactions: Unit-05
Upvote 0
The random headshot, or the grenade thrown badly that's what I love about it. It adds realism and a serious dose of it. Funny how people play one game like RO with friendly fire but then doth protest too much when it's in Killing Floor. Even when it all ends in a horrible disaster I love that as well. How you can go from a good group to one mistake and then the whole thing goes down the swany instantly. You just have to laugh when that happens. Remember that's why real men play friendly fire.

I've considered running FF 100% on my HoE server a number of times, however my server is kinda got a cult following of players, kinda like a mini version of this forum really, and they alllike my server cause they can get their level accompishments in it. FF would hamper that somewhat :p

Upvote 0