• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realisitc view from aiming down an Iron Sight

sturmfuhrer

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
When I pretend to aim down an iron sight, with my left eye closed, this is roughly what I see.

73281453.jpg
73281453.jpg

In game, iron sights appear as if someone is aiming with both eyes open, do people really do this and if so would you say the above image is more true to life than what we usually see in-games?

sturm

Adding dark borders isen't something i'm a fan of (i'm assuming that's what you mean atleast).

It's true that with one eye cloused, you are likely to notice the contours of your nose and brow, usually as a dark border in the left of your field of view (assuming you are looking out of the right eye), but this is because the human eye has such a wide field of view, and for some reason, your brain seems to ignore the nose and brow when you have both eyes open, but not when you clouse one eye.

A screen does not have anywhere near the same field of view as the human eye, no real periphial vision, that's all lost here, so what you see out of the corner of your real eye, is happening off screen in a game.

Our periphial vision is allready beeing limited by quite a bit in a game, and thus, adding dark borders that should take place in the periphials, to even futher limit the limited screen realestate, well, that's not really making it more realistic, it's just making it much harder to see than it should be.

Of course, it can be argued that it does add some immersion, but i think it comes at too high a cost, the screen allready robs us of so much periphial vision, and this would just rob us of even more of it.

Upvote 0
You are doing it wrong, keep both eyes open when aiming unless you are left eye dominant.

left eye dominant and right handed? if i was left eye dominant and left handed i would have to keep both eyes open, too? could you explain that a little more, since i am reading everywhere that you are supposed to use both eyes, but since i never used a firearm, i can not really understand why/how/etc.

(i guess back then all soldiers were trained to use the guns right handed, no matter what, right?)

Upvote 0
left eye dominant and right handed? if i was left eye dominant and left handed i would have to keep both eyes open, too? could you explain that a little more, since i am reading everywhere that you are supposed to use both eyes, but since i never used a firearm, i can not really understand why/how/etc.

(i guess back then all soldiers were trained to use the guns right handed, no matter what, right?)

The point of keeping both eyes open is to allow you see more and avoid excessive tunnel vision (important for shooting at a gun range)

When aiming with dominant eye, even if you have both eyes open, your focus will still be with the dominant eye.

Here, test your eye dominance

• Extend both hands forward of your body and place the hands together making a small triangle (approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch per side) between your thumbs and the first knuckle.
  • With both eyes open, look through the triangle and center something such as a doorknob or the bullseye of a target in the triangle.
  • Close your left eye. If the object remains in view, you are right eye dominant. If your hands appear to move off the object and move to the left, then you are left eye dominant.

Upvote 0
at least now i know that i am right eye dominant, although left handed. pretty impractical...

back to topic! were soldiers back then also trained to keep both eyes open?

edit.
oh, and even if they were, i still wouldnt want to have that nose and parts of the skull blocking the view, for the same reasons that grobut mentioned

Upvote 0
Looks more like an M1 Carbine to me.

The stock does look like a carbine, but the rear sights is more peephole-ish on a m1 carbine from the ones I've seen in person.

Although someone may have changed it, and I'm not sure if the sights differed by model/year

but judging by the stock I'd say you are right.

I think you guys are confusing a rail mod for the wood M1 Carbine stock. The sights on M1 Carbines are also quite a bit different.

The gun in that image is likely some kind of M14.

Upvote 0