• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How to Use Smoke (smoke nades everyday)

The first bunker cap on Hill 400 is notorious for misuse of smoke. The advancing infantry usually go for the diagram nr. II approach and get slaughtered by the bolt-actions and machine guns of the defenders while still in or coming out of the smoke. If they placed well enough smoke grenades on the objective and the trench systems, it'd be much easier because that's where their Garands and Thompsons have the advantage.

EDIT: Also, for the maps that include Pz.IVs, they have smoke shells available. I don't think the T-34s have them, though. This is speaking for RO:HOS, of course.

Upvote 0
Other things to remember about smoke:

1. Smoke grenades put out Smoke, not brick walls. A machine gunner might not be able to see you, but he sure can see the smoke, and will most likely attempt to light it up at random. Do not smoke a doorway, or narrow space and expect it to help you much.

2. Smoke grenades obscure things and help hide small items.
2.1. Explosive grenades are small items.

3. Remember point number 1: Smoke is not a brick wall. Use smoke to reduce the chance someone will shoot you while you move between actual cover.

4. Again, smoke is not a brick wall. If your opponent has just popped smoke in front of you, the chances are good that they are trying to move through it. Bullets don't have eyes and aren't afraid of smoke, open fire.

5. Based on the above points, remember that people usually make use of smoke to cover an advance. The advance does Not have to be through the smoke. Pop smoke to make a big and visible distraction while you go somewhere else.

6. Smoke is an equal opportunity concept. It doesn't care which team you're on, and will obstruct the vision of both teams.

7. While you "Can't take it with you" so to speak, it doesn't mean you have to use it. Save smoke for a point that you feel there is an actual advantage before you pop it.

8. Remember point number 1: Smoke is Smoke, not a brick wall.

Upvote 0
Some more from me:

Smoke on assualt:

Smokeclouds are much larger than soldiers and are easier to spot. So you might attract fire when you run through smoke.

Good defenders will fire into the smoke blind, if the whole team runs through two smoke clouds a massacre is certain.

You can lay smoke to distract the enemy, while nobody of your team will run through.

When you place smoke on the objectiv, its ture very close combat is often the result. But for the attacker this is mostly good, because the defender has lost on of his adavantage.

Smoke on defense:

Smoke is underestimated on defense although its was often used this way in reality.

When the enemy is enmassing fire on one of your positions (Tanks for example) you can distract the enemy or relive yourself a bit with some smoke. Good to change positions on the objetive too.

More important is that you should place smoke on place that you cant be fired upon from the defense line. Smoke behind the hill or deep into a buildung, an confuse the enemy and make it terreible to find the way.

Perfect locations are minefields or dang. places like edges, or when the enemy cant use an existing LOS blocker right anymore.

Upvote 0
Good thread.
But I dont really agree with OP's conclusions.

Using smoke is simple. Throw it between friendlies and the enemy when the enemy is shooting and friendliess are not. This happens mostly when friendlies are moving and enemy is not. If you are so close that you can throw smoke between the enemy lines, then you should throw a frag instead. :p

Sure smoke is also used to blind enemy and in order to make a fake offensive and cause confusion. But that's mostly artillery's job and handthrown nades are not really adequate for the job.

Upvote 0
Thanks for for the info, it is very useful. Great post.

However...

I would say that the use of smoke is highly situational.

The above diagram is a good guideline, but can only be considered law, if no other factors are involved.

For instance, you may have to take an avenue of approach, where there is only one section, where you can't use cover.

In this instance, of course that is the place you are going to put it.

It's a great point the OP has made, and something to consider, that I might not have considered otherwise. I certainly wouldn't follow it as a blind rule.

I don't think the OP is suggesting we do, however.

The other problem, as well, is that unfortunately you often can't throw that far in this game.

Upvote 0
It's a great point the OP has made, and something to consider, that I might not have considered otherwise. I certainly wouldn't follow it as a blind rule.

I don't think the OP is suggesting we do, however.

No, it's not a blind rule, and I stated a few times in the OP that you shouldn't take it that way. :p The diagrams are a thought experiment to try and help players visualize how isolating support weapons (and proper use of your own) can help a team cap an objecive.

Upvote 0
I've yet to find any situations in the beta where dropping smoke behind the front line is possible or practical.

1. Getting the smoke grenade to land in those spots is almost impossible unless you sneak (either wasting time or getting killed or both)
2. There really aren't any support troops or weapons to worry about. Any MGers will almost always be on the front line or somewhere relatively close by.

The only thing tossing a smoke past an objective accomplishes is making the incoming reinforcements slightly unsure of the situation in front of them.

I personally use smoke to directly blind enemy strong points, or use them on the odd camping tank. Hate it when people pop smoke like in Panel 2 though.

Upvote 0