• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Checklist before RO2 release...

Kitsune

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 28, 2011
Looking to for something to do before the release of RO2? Here's a handy dandy checklist of just a few things everyone should check out. Feel free to add to the list!

1. STALINGRAD the movie.
YouTube - Stalingrad : Trailer (HQ)

2. The "Die Deutsche Wochenschau" series of german newsreels. Just look for the ones that relate to Stalingrad. Not many with city fighting, but great combat footage none the less!
YouTube - STALINGRAD-DEUTSCHE WOCHENSCHAU Nr 635
YouTube - Stalingrad (Oct 1942)

3. Play more RO!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralfst3r
0140249850.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Upvote 0
Oh, don't get me started on that one. :p

Antony Beevor's Stalingrad is probably the worst of all respectable books on Stalingrad (not saying it's bad, there's just so many better choices).

Like what? I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had an appropriate blend of specific stories that brought the reader down into the horror of it yet still covered the overall strategy and affect the battle had on the war as a whole. Of course popularity isn't the greatest guage of value or that there aren't excellent alternatives but there's a reason its considered one of the best books on Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
i have one suggestion to add, play "Battles of WWII Stalingrad" RTS game (also published by 1C Company like HoS) prior to buying HoS. It is a sudden strike like game with slightly better graphics and big emphasis on realism. Some screens to keep you going ....

1c Company game details http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/stalingrad/overview

stalingrad01.jpg

I suggest you play Men of War the sequel to Soldiers Heroes of WW2, also the newly in development Men of War Assault Squad is looking excellent, realism plus strategy. Theatre of War also works even tho it has nothing on the Men of War physics/ballistic systems, which completely own any other game out there :p

It's simple, Russians/East know how to develop realistic games :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suggest you play Men of War the sequel to Soldiers Heroes of WW2, also the newly in development Men of War Assault Squad is looking excellent, realism plus strategy. Theatre of War also works even tho it has nothing on the Men of War physics/ballistic systems, which completely own any other game out there :p

It's simple, Russians/East know how to develop realistic games :p
Theatre of war has a by far superior ballistic system.

Also, the best one out there still is Combat Mission 1+2+3.

Upvote 0
Theatre of war has a by far superior ballistic system.

Also, the best one out there still is Combat Mission 1+2+3.

Nope, Theatre of War has nothing on the Men of War ballistic/penetration system, however Men of War does not model realistic distances to keep the game more action oriented. Theatre of War as a whole is more realistic with its deployment, battlemap and progress on the battlefield but it's simulation of the action is not very advanced compared to MoW.

It will be interesting to see what the original developers Best Way are doing, rumors has it that they're working on another Outfront(Outfront is what became Men of War when adapted to the Western audience) with an updated GEM engine.

PC + East == Good games, Realism
PC + West == Ports, Money whoring

Tripwire is a rare jewel.. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope, Theatre of War has nothing on the Men of War ballistic/penetration system

I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true. While Men of War's system might be visually more appealing, it's nowhere as sophisticated. But still, nothing beats Combat Mission in terms of ballistic and penetration calculation and accuracy.

Heck, try pressing F4 in Theatre of War 2.
image002.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true. While Men of War's system might be visually more appealing, it's nowhere as sophisticated. But still, nothing beats Combat Mission in terms of ballistic and penetration calculation and accuracy.

image002.jpg

Uhh, from having modded them both, MoW's handling of physics, ballistics stand out quite clearly, I am not sure what your hoping to achieve with that picture..

Upvote 0

Uhh, from having modded them both, MoW's handling of physics, ballistics stand out quite clearly, I am not sure what your hoping to achieve with that picture.. Like i said Theatre of War is the more realistic game, but does not have an edge when it comes to simulating ballistics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0