• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

U3 = t3h suX?!?!

Oleg

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
I was playing Rainbow 6 Vegas for some time, and... well, to put it short game is interesting, some novel solutions, perhaps even very good but that's not the point... The game looks IMO extremely ugly - overwhelming "bloom" effect, totally unrealistic lighting, muddy picture, screwed up resolutions, bad, like REAL BAD textures, the look of JPEG that went thru too much compression, you name it. It's NOWHERE near the screenshots available on the web.

To my endless surprise I found out that this visually screwed up game is built on Unreal 3 engine?!? Wow, some diasppontment.....

To me, R6V looks much much worse than FEAR, much worse than any Source based game (even though Source games **** - as games), worse even than U2.5-based RO (albeit human movements in R6V are infinitely more fluid and realistic). Bazillion times worse than COD2.... worse even than GRAW, basically worse than any other game released last 2-3 years.

So, I started to wonder what's this world coming to?

Since I didn't find any relevant comments on the merits (or the lack thereof) regarding R6V specific use of U3 engine - except for some poeple agreeing that it looks drab, and some praising the game to heavens - I said to myself - lets go to my old buddies at RO board, they'll have something to say, perhaps we even get a comment or two from TW devs themselves :cool:

If R6V is the sign of times to come, I sense lots of disappointment....

The R6V devs just slaped the game together with UE3 and some other horse **** and then called it a "game". Look at Pariah 4 example its UE2.5 game and its full of huge amounts of bloom to(I say WTF is up with bloom? Somekinda new trend?
Guy nr1: "That thing looks like ****"
Guy nr2: "Lets just cover it up with BLOOM"
Guy nr1 : "Good idea":rolleyes:)
But again other UE2 games werent as "bloomy". I bet if they wont "bloomatise" the next RO it will look good. Bloom is only good for "underwater" effects IMO.

Upvote 0
The R6V devs just slaped the game together with UE3 and some other horse **** and then called it a "game". Look at Pariah 4 example its UE2.5 game and its full of huge amounts of bloom to(I say WTF is up with bloom? Somekinda new trend?

It's not just the bloom - textures look bad, as if they are 8-bit color or something......

Plus it runs like crap, for something so visually disappointing.....

Upvote 0
It's not just the bloom - textures look bad, as if they are 8-bit color or something......

Plus it runs like crap, for something so visually disappointing.....

Dont know about that.

It cant be UE3 is just lie we have all been swindled and humiliated!!!! UE3 IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!11

PS! Dont ever buy a game that has Rainbow in it and then hope it will be a good FPS :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Do console games regularly use 8-bit crappy textures? I honestly don't know, as I don't play console games, but it is my impression games like Gears of War have nice textures....

Its much easier to make bad graphics look good on a console then on a PC, because the console uses a TV and not a monitor, and TV's brurr the image like crazy! kinda like running 64x AA or something, you can make anything look good with that!
So when building for console, many Dev's will cut corners, as the high detail would be wasted anyway, but when ported to PC, it shows!

And besides, its UBI soft, or "EA-Light" as i like to call them, you cant expect much :D

Upvote 0
Concerning the manual, R6:Vegas uses the UE 2.5...

Yes I've seen some controversies about this but the general consensus on forums is that it is U3 after all. There is semi-official list of games that use or plan to use U3 and R6V is among 2-3 actually released games with ths engine (also Roboblitz I don't care for + Gears of War which is consoles only).

I would say very underwhelming debut for U3 on PC :( As for visuals - honestly Counter Strike looks better for a modern shooter then this crap :eek:

Upvote 0
And besides, its UBI soft, or "EA-Light" as i like to call them, you cant expect much :D

Well, people love to hate those companies, but the truth is - they DO have some standards. EA is Steven Spielberg of gaming, and Ubi is, well, Tom Clancy of military shooters - they don't make best games for us connoissurs, but they have certain standards and money spent on EA/Spielberg/Clancy title is rarely wasted.

Their games also have full set of features - multiplayer, maps, skirmish mode, you name it.

Compare games by second rate publishers like Eidos - oftely lacking in polish, content (maps etc.), support, moddability and long term interest.

Silent Hunter 3 and IL-2 from Ubi are top quality sims with solid production qualities.....

That's my opinion anyway - I know many will disagree :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Well, people love to hate those companies, but the truth is - they DO have some standards. EA is Steven Spielberg of gaming, and Ubi is, well, Tom Clancy of military shooters - they don't make best games for us connoissurs, but they have certain standards and money spent on EA/Spielberg/Clancy title is rarely wasted.

Their games also have full set of features - multiplayer, maps, skirmish mode, you name it.

Compare games by second rate publishers like Eidos - oftely lacking in polish, content (maps etc.), support, moddability and long term interest.

Silent Hunter 3 and IL-2 from Ubi are top quality sims with solid production qualities.....

That's my opinion anyway - I know many will disagree :rolleyes:

Woah there.. dont forget that UBI didn't make IL2, 1:C Maddox games did, UBI just published it in the west (and did a poor job of it too!).

As for standards.. i guess you could say that allways aiming for the lowest common denominator is a kind of standard.. but not one i care for, personaly.

Their games might have "features", but thats all, the rest is rushed out the door, the art is never as good as it could be, the bugs often pretty bad to say the least, the gameplay allways arcady to cater to the most people, and for companies this big, who could actually afford to make something incredible! that is beyond pathetic..

And then theres all the payware addons.. maybe im just becoming an old crusty gaming geezer, but i remember a time when such things where free, and only cost money if they where so massive they where allmost a whole new game!

Meh, games are supposed to be art, not corporate mass produced products with no soul.

I could go more into detail about why i dont like them and their buisness practices, but this is getting off topic.

Upvote 0
Moved to Off topic/gaming?!?!? Well a big "thank you" to whoever is behind this move....

This is neither off topic, nor it is strictly about gaming. What were you afraid of, that this post automatically presumes next TW game will be crap? WTF.....

Because you talk about several games OTHER than Red Orchestra and game engines which, at this time, have nothing to do with Red Orchestra? Hence it has no place in the "DISCUSS RED ORCHESTRA GAME HERE" forum.

A nice big "you are welcome" back :)

Upvote 0
1. The game (pc version) is basically a console port. Those usually come with low-res textures and ugly colours -> see for example GRAW: the character and level tectures look like 'meh' and all colours seem to be yellow-brownish.

2. The game doesn't make full use of the engines potential. Why? Because they had to spent a lot of resources (hardware resources) on AI. It's been said here on the forum a while ago.

3. The game looks decent imo, not great but okay overall. Better than RO at least and better than COD II. That's just my opinion. It's not my cup of tea, but not because of the optics.

Upvote 0