• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] How detailed will the tankcrewman hitzone be?

I'd like to see some more reliable sources before counting on the old "my buddy was in the army and said..." That stuff is notoriously suspect.

There are a huge amount of myths that seem to make thier way around in the military, even to the instructors. I've heard stories of instructors perpetuating the myths that 5.56 rounds spin end-over-end through the air* and a near miss from a .50 BMG will "kill you with it's shockwave". Both are bogus.

*Anyone who's played Metal Gear Solid 3 can remember when this was groan-inducely portrayed by The Boss's modifed M-16.:p

Overpressure killing, perhaps. Vaccum? What vaccum? Where is it coming from?
Yeah definitely sounds very suspect to me. I guess he might be thinking that somehow the round would force the air out of the crew compartment or something -- again, not very convincing. I guarantee we'll see it in a future CoD title, though hahaha.

And thanks for the info Ramm. I hope getting penetration with an AT rifle isn't a cut and dry affair, or else it will be way too easy to snipe out crew members, especially given the sneaky ninja skills of today's top RO players. :cool:

Upvote 0
I think you guys are right on the vacuum. A minute on Google lead me to this thread:
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-39544.html

My best bet is it kills with spalling / fragments. Modern DU is pyrogenic at high temps - basically incendiary. So molten bits of pyrogenic depleted uranium and molten armor flying around sounds pretty bad. Of course, DU wasn't used in WWII.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder how much detail will be included as far as rounds that penetrate the armor...like if a tank shell blasts through the side armor and kills the loader or something will there be a big hole that you can see out of where the round came in? Will dead bodies be modeled or will they disappear? Will there be a concussion effect if something comes in (screen blacking out temporarily or blurring)? When a tank blows up do pieces of the tank come flying off instead of it just turning into a burnt out shell?

I realize there may be engine limitations or even time limitations but the thought of all this stuff is so great.

Upvote 0
This!

I know in Ost, you can throw grenades into the back of the German halftrack, but I don't think it actually did damage to the players inside (only to the halftrack itself).
Yeah I know it was possible. What I always found frustrating in RO:OST was trying to shoot the driver out of the Russian universal carrier ... it was always kinda bugged.

But anyway, seeing as how detailed they are getting with a fully rendered interior, it would be awesome to actually be able to toss a nade down there if the hatch happened to be open. I guess the only way that could happen would be if you shot out the commander while he was sticking out and if the hatch staid up ... lol.

Upvote 0
Remember that they are called ports for a reason, they can be opened and closed. So you could only shoot someone in that case if he did indeed open that port and put his gun through it.

Obviously. Which is why I pondered high volume fire from an MG, as I doubt it would be likely to score a hit with a bolt action rifle. I could imagine if you got a few MG rounds into the port, it could do some damage to the crew bouncing around inside an armored vehicle.

Upvote 0