• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Singleplayer AI

PikeyMk2

Sep 18, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I don't wish to cause a flame thread, I'm just bemused by the poor quality of the AI.

I just watched an Axis and Allied soldier try to fight each other over the top of a low wall blockade. Rather than shooting each other, they both just kept leaping backwards and forwards over the barrier. What? :confused: That's just bizarre!

Worse though is the enemy AI, I don't know if they're ingenious with having the Russian "Throw everything at them" tactic, or incredibly stupid for just walking out into the open and letting you pop them off. They just make no sense. 5 will run down the corridor towards you, but none of them will stop to fire. They'll then vault up and down on obstacles, but not climb, just stand bolt upright on them. What gives?

Your team AI isn't much more clever either. They regularly stand in front of you, or decide to vault your obstacle. Only to change their mind and jump back over. Then after another thought, jump over it again... Repeat as many times as necessary... :rolleyes: Their general battle movement reminds me much of ants, completely random shifting but in a general forwards motion (This is when of course they aren't busy doing gymnastics over obstacles)

Has anyone else suffered this, or is my Virtual Squad just a bunch of numpties?

Last edited:
Reactions: Goten
Frankly, single-player is the tutorial to multiplayer. It is actually better than practice mode on RO1. It is by no means great or flawless, no. You didn't pay $60 for the game, either.

Just a few considerations.

I still paid money for a game that had a Singeplayer function described to me though. If it was labelled as a practice mode, fair enough, you don't need good AI. But to have 2 campaigns where the soldiers are too busy jumping around to fight is a bit of a joke

Reactions: Goten
Upvote 0
To be fair, I've had trouble getting past a certain level (the grain elevator?) in the campaign because the majority of my team is stuck in a ditch 300m away from the building with the objective, leaving me to take on the entire Russian Red Army by myself.

I don't expect perfect AI, but oh gosh, slight improvement would be great. I wanted to get to the tank missions to get some offline practice with tanks.

Upvote 0
This post had to go through moderation so has been pushed back. I'm just wanting to know if anyone else has experienced these problems and agree with me?

I tried some more Singleplayer before, but had to stop because of the lack of co-ordination the AI has on both sides.

Yeah, I've seen some pretty stupid bot behaviour but as a training tool for new guys like me the SP has been invaluable. It's been especially useful for learning the maps and improving my aim etc. I still get pwned plenty in MP but not as much now having gone through the SP campaigns.

The bots seem to very accurate hip-shooters I've noticed. Also if you get into a melee with them they seem to be pretty handy as well. They do spend a lot of time either stuck or running around in circles which is my main complaint.

So yeah, for an experienced FPS or RO1 MP vet then I'd say it would be no contest (ie too easy) against the bots at present. I hope they might receive some 'brain tweaking' in a patch somewhere down the line.

Upvote 0
Don't go near stairs either, they drop like flies, clearly stairs were not in boot camp.

The AI is fun if you use them as fodder. Use the attack and defend commands and use the different squads for each. They actually work pretty decently. If you can get them into a decent position they have fairly entertaining fire fights.

Upvote 0
yea, I was playing the first 3 missions, and I've already lost count how many German bots I've shot in the back of the head. It's really dissapointing, they huddle next to you like lost puppys, and as soon as you get close to an obstacle or wall, the keep buzzing around, constantly vaulting obstacles in a loop until they get shot. Usually, when I'm aiming around a corner, one of them will appear the second I fire, and get it right in the head. This has actually happened 4 times in a row, not kidding. Aiming, shoot, Bot moves the second I shoot, takes the headshot, bolt another round, fire, another bot appears, takes the headshot, and so on. They are particularly dumb with stairs. I have seen about 5 bots run off the top of the stairs, and splat against the floor. However, sometimes just sitting back, it's pretty hilarious to watch them. One of the German bots went on a pistol-whipping rampage, another time was an epic charge by both sides, all ending up in hand to hand, when I let rip with the MG34, killing indiscriminately.

Upvote 0
One of the German bots went on a pistol-whipping rampage
This has happened to me many a time, but instead of 1 German/Russian it's 3 4 of them all at once with smgs. I know that melee is a important tactic, but they use it as if they get some kind of euphoria from it. happened every battle besides the last Russian one. They are a mountain up from the RO ones though.

Upvote 0