• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reason Arad always gets voted,

Reason Arad always gets voted,

• Its simplest to Remember

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Its simplest to play... hop in a tank drive 20 ft then sit and shoot

Votes: 43 43.0%
  • im a newbie and i like tanks

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • "other"

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters
Johnny555 said:
I don't know if newbies do like tanks to start with. First time I played a tank, I jumped out again in disgust. I couldn't believe you had to control the turret with the keyboard. Too much BF2 I suppose.

I have got used to it now though. And prefer this method. It's harder but more skillfull and rewarding in the end.

Glad you got used to it - the change came due to ideas/suggestion in days of the MOD. The aggrevation in MOD was that when you moved your field of view from commanders cupola that the turret would move with your view and it was just PAINFUL.

Imagine scanning the horizon at the slow speed of the Tiger turret traverse.:eek:

So they unbound the turret movement from view. Yep - IT is a good thing. Thanks Devs!

Upvote 0
CA Map

CA Map

Arad is not a tank only map. Tanks play major role. But artillery used properly is devastating on any armor advance. Likewise, tanks moving in the villages without infantry support are dead meat to enemy infantry with anti tank weapons. Infantry in the village also has to contend with enemy infantry trying to clear them out to take the village or protect their tanks. So there is infantry on infantry combat as well. So those who think it is tank only, are missing a great Combined Arms map in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Lonestar Ranger said:
Arad is not a tank only map. Tanks play major role. But artillery used properly is devastating on any armor advance. Likewise, tanks moving in the villages without infantry support are dead meat to enemy infantry with anti tank weapons. Infantry in the village also has to contend with enemy infantry trying to clear them out to take the village or protect their tanks. So there is infantry on infantry combat as well. So those who think it is tank only, are missing a great Combined Arms map in my opinion.

That is ever so true. Arad is one fine map. I didn't vote because I found nothing in the poll that fit my contention.

I like Arad because its a versatile, well planned and laid out map. Don't get me wrong, the other maps are great but IMHO, Arad takes the cake.

Upvote 0
More Infantry

More Infantry

I would like to see more infantry and same level of tanks even if it meant solo tanking until such time as the game engine can handle more players. It would make the fight for the villages very intense along with the already intense armor engagements in the open. Also would like to see more of the buildings open to entry by infantry.

Upvote 0
The only reason I dont care much for Arad has nothing to do with the map, but how most people are content with hanging back in a tank and sniping each other... for the whole round. It's usually pretty tough to get people to work together on this map in a pub setting. So, 9 times out of 10 I'll leave the server if its voted for.

and just so you know (especially with the way the tank maps are played at the moment)... infantry rules the tank maps. Not the tanks themselves. They are the ones who actually take and hold the ground. Also, its usually much easier to move around in the middle of a tank battle as an infantry guy, because the tanks are so focused on each other.

Upvote 0
Mikser said:
What is it with these worthless polls that virtually reek of their starters' poisonous spite and bias? The suggestive possible replies for this poll basically boil down to:

-"I'm a bit of a simpleton, so I choose the map because of the short name."
-"I've unsophisticated tastes when it comes to gaming. Whee, kaboom!"
-"I'm hopelessly clueless, but I like big vehicles with big guns."
-"I belong into an obscure marginal group."

Granted, Arad is a bit too tank heavy and could certainly use some changes to more effectively facilitate combined arms tactics, but it's hardly the worst map as far as I'm concerned...

if it let me change the names of the poll questions these would be it, im sorry i didn tmean to sound so spiteful... sometimes i forget how my words sound especially when only read as text without my usually sarcastic tone.

Upvote 0
Yes

Yes

You are right about tanks focused on each other. Two nights ago, i infiltrated the woods on the north field and moved around to where I could see the open field not visible from the German spawn site. One Russian tank was in the low area in the middle of this portion of the open north field and using the depression to fire. I crawled out to it in the wide open. None of the other tanks noticed me because they were too busy racing off to other locations. I got in the depression behind the tank and fired three fausts. Unfortunately it was the Russian Heavy tank and none of the fausts destroyed it all though he was smoking. He moved around a bit and tried to see what was happening. But I just stayed behind him as he turned and moved. I then just crawled back to the wood line and made it and then went to the resupply point in the north village to get more Fausts to go back again, but by then the tank had moved on. I did get a T34 that left the spawn site and headed straight into the village. Bottom line, Arad is not a Tank only map as some seem to think; it is combined arms.

Upvote 0
Kap said:
why not chose de commander Axis class and try sneak into the North vilage to use the radio in there, its real a challenge to stay alive, you even forget the Tank war around you.

That is very fun capturing the Russian HQ in North Village and using their radio to call arty from behind their line. Is very hostile holding that position.

I like Arad as much as any of the others. Very nice combined arms map.
The map with the Bridge and Penninsula (Barashka?) is the one that's most over-played imo. Nice map too, just so over-played.

Yeah, I agree that Arad gets a lot of votes 'cause it's nice and the name is so easy to remember.

Upvote 0
OH I voted for arad because im stupid and its the only map name I can remeber its got nothing to do with the fact that I like long distance tank combat thanks for clearing that up for me.

Seriously that poll is stupid, hey lets all act like we're better than anyone who likes the map by making a one sided pole.

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
all you land rats that can't stand tanks are the only dissenters as to it's popularity. I should make a cynical poll about the land rat maps (Odessa, Kessel),as, for the tanker, they are about as boring as it gets.
Well, this land rat likes playing with tanks. They drastically change the tactics I use in a map. They also have a much greater fear factor. Stepping around a building while in (supposedly) friendly territory and coming face to face with an enemy tank is much more exciting than bumping into infantry(holy crap!). I haven't played the new maps enough to know them very well but I like the new Arad. I've been in some very intense combined arms battles between the villages. I've had fun stabbing the Russian commander at his radio or fausting tanks in that depression mentioned earlier. Lottsa fun!:D

Upvote 0
Gomer Pyle said:
Well, this land rat likes playing with tanks. They drastically change the tactics I use in a map. They also have a much greater fear factor. Stepping around a building while in (supposedly) friendly territory and coming face to face with an enemy tank is much more exciting than bumping into infantry(holy crap!). I haven't played the new maps enough to know them very well but I like the new Arad. I've been in some very intense combined arms battles between the villages. I've had fun stabbing the Russian commander at his radio or fausting tanks in that depression mentioned earlier. Lottsa fun!:D

well, you have a decent attitude for a land rat, I must say!! :D I think your attitude works best, so we all can game & enjoy all of the maps. ;)

Upvote 0